Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Noisy wipers - are LR admitting there is a problem?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 16 123 ... 141516>
Harlequin

United Kingdom 
Noisy wipers - are LR admitting there is a problem?

Although not strictly a new topic, I am posting this separately for maximum impact!
For three months, I have endured noisy wiper blades and despite a new set, and much twisting and tweaking by a very helpful dealer, the situation didn't improve. The problem is well documented elsewhere on this site.
Whilst in the middle of a holiday on the south coast this week, I really couldn't face the prospect of 250 miles of screeching and groaning all the way up the motorway on the return journey, so contacted Westover Landrover in Christchurch to see what they could do. Imagine my delight when I was told that a delivery of 'replacement / new design' blades was expected the next day.
They have now been fitted - and guess what - perfectly silent wiper blades - indeed a joy to 'listen' to!! I must also congratulate Westover on their thoroughly helpful and attentive approach to the problem - especially as they's never seen me before!

Should anyone be bothered by dealers telling them wiper blades aren't covered by warranty - here is an extract from Landrover's Warranty Manual (I won't say how I came by it!!):

"Wiper Blades
Although recognised as being wear and tear items, wiper blades are claimable for up to 10,000 miles/16,000 kilometres or 1 year on the assumption that the failure resulted from a manufacturing defect.
Note: The customer's Service Portfolio states that these items are not covered. The above guideline, however, should be followed in the interests of customer satisfaction."

Now, on the basis that so many people have had problems - and replacement blades are now available - I would suggest that the case for a 'manufacturing defect' is pretty clear - although LR obviously won't admit to it!

Apologies for the long post - but I hope this helps all those who have had an otherwise perfect vehicle spolit by this niggling problem.
 I was taught to be cautious.  
Post #17230529th Jun 2007 5:19 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Have you got a part number for the new ones?
 The End  
Post #17233929th Jun 2007 6:44 pm
Harlequin

United Kingdom 

Sorry - no. I may be wrong - but these new blades seem to have a 1/4" metal strip above the rubber blade - running parallel with the screen - which seems different from the previous ones. They certainly seem a bit stiffer.
 I was taught to be cautious.  
Post #17234329th Jun 2007 7:04 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

That's excellent Harlequin. I'll be getting my dealer to get some when I get back in a couple of weeks. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #17240529th Jun 2007 10:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Right, I'm ringing Westover in the morning! (bought my car from them)

With all the rain this week I've been going bloomin insane with the wiper judder!!! Evil or Very Mad
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #17243329th Jun 2007 11:30 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The wipers have always had a sprung steel spine....
and the warranty manual is not 'secret' Wink
There was an early TSB relating to incorrect wiper transit protection removal although some wiper arms didn't have the correct 'twist' angle resulting in the blades dragging across the screen. Most wiper judder is caused by screen or wiper blade contamination, a good clean of both with a suitably strong solvent will cure the judder

Post #17243929th Jun 2007 11:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

I scrubbed the living daylights out of the wipers and screen last weekend. Fine for about 10 minutes, then "grrrrrrrrrrrind....screeech, grrrrrrrrrrrind....screeech"
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #17244629th Jun 2007 11:50 pm
10forcash

OK, i'll put it another way.... Shoud LR be responsible for the crap on the roads that ends up contaminating your screen and wipers?

YES there was an issue with a small number of vehicles and YES LR (or more accurately their suppliers) did revise the design of the wiper arms due to wiper judder, however, "if you hear the sound of hooves, think horses, not Zebra's"
i'm all for LR having to fulfil their warranty obligations and adress common issues, but wiper blades - like brake pads ARE subject to wear and tear and therefore consumables... In 18000 miles i've replaced my wiper blades twice -both times due to obvious contamination. trying to claim under warranty would to my mind be both time consuming (think how many hours minutes you have to work for to pay for a pair of blades Rolling Eyes ) and probably fraudulent.... Is it worth the effort / principle? probably not, it's so much easier (and doesn't get you the 'awkward cnut' sticker in your service history) just to walk in, buy a pair of blades and walk out again with a smile and a cheery wave from the parts monkey Wink

Post #17246130th Jun 2007 12:08 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

65K miles since Dec 04, no judders, 2nd set is current one, still fine but with the odd streak. may need a third set soon. Will buy them.

Post #17246530th Jun 2007 12:14 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

My first set juddered badly from day 1

My second set, replaced under warranty, juddered badly from day 1

I Censored give up Twisted Evil
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #17246830th Jun 2007 12:16 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

BTW ...I bought glass cutter to clean the windscreen , cleaned the wipers with spirit and used rainx etc.... but jack Censored works Confused
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #17246930th Jun 2007 12:19 am
10forcash

DG, In your case it sounds like the wiper arm angle needs adjustment Wink

Post #17247030th Jun 2007 12:21 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I'll give it a big twist tomorrow Twisted Evil Wink Very Happy
Post #17247230th Jun 2007 12:25 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Sorry Ten, I didn't make my point clear. I'm looking to BUY some new revised blades based on what the OP advised, not throw the warranty teddy out of the Disco3. If the type of blades I have are the only ones available then I need to attack my £30+k car with pliers as I've not yet had a journey in the rain that doesn't have me wishing for some ear defenders. Rolling Eyes

I mentioned I bought the car from Westover as otherwise it may seem OTT for people to just randomly ring them rather than any other dealer.
Post #17248030th Jun 2007 12:47 am
Desert Traveller

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic11987.html
In Oz we have recently come up with non-OEM options, and they are SILENT Smile . I went through 2 sets of the OEMs with no luck Sad .
 06 TDV6 SE with many LR and after-market extras. Used only on weekends and trips out west.
Audi TT Roadster (Daily and around town drive)
VW Eos TDI For Sale
Previously 01 TD5 and 94 TDI 

Post #17248330th Jun 2007 2:21 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 16 123 ... 141516>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >