Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Discovery 5 - L462

New D5 and omg
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 6 123456>
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4
New D5 and omg

Picked up the next d5 today

Most on here know I like them, but thank the lord we have a defender land rover may have just had their D2 cdl moment

The d5 no longer comes with low range! It is an option on all, which has to be the most backward thing I've seen in a while. This isn't a Freelander after all

Tbh I heard a rumor and didn't think much of it, but it appears true. Something in not sure I'll be able to change when the next comes

Although it's a nice car and top spec, there is a lot missing from the old equivalent and a load of things that seem to be options

Immediately missed RSE, lane keep assist, lane departure is there but not the same. New cameras are good, hear stick rubbish, but privi pro nice to see. No sunroof as standard, which isn't the end of the world

I was expecting clear sight in the rear view but that's not there and some options like the fridge I knew we weren't getting

All in, it's ok but I miss the 2020my and it's the first discovery in 3 d5s and countless others I don't like

My advice, check your spec (I don't get much of a choice) and now the new future options they aren't the same

It's going to be interesting towing off road in high range ffs
 Mike  
Post #22233408th Apr 2021 10:08 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

LR have finally spec’d the D5 for its target market - yummy mummies and Tesco shoppers. Thumbs Up

The Discovery sits as an anomaly in the range now the Defender is out. I wonder how long i5 will last?
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #22233478th Apr 2021 10:25 pm
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

In fairness I was clear about the discoveries place even with the defender

But removing it's core off road capability is madness. Tbh I used low towing all the time a heavy loaded trailer reversing gives you great control.

But I agree it will be increasing less clear where it fits, I would almost day the death of the discovery, you should have of road options on it, like you shouldn't on the ffrr and defender. The e-diff might be an exception but I even think that should be standard
 Mike  
Post #22233558th Apr 2021 10:41 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

It’s a shame about low range. I used it a lot when I towed in my D3 and D4.

I no longer tow like I used to. My XC90 has enough capability for what I need. However, it’s interesting to note how many D3/4 got changed at my kids school for the Volvo rather than the D5. Lots of Defenders appearing now as well though but still very few D5s.

Sadly where LR got the D3/4 right, they got the D5 so wrong, but this subject has been done to death previously.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #22233578th Apr 2021 10:53 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Good value if you want it ...no point in moaning about specs after motors have been delivered Wink Whistle

21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #22233588th Apr 2021 10:57 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

DG, he specifically stated the following (my highlight):
Quote:
My advice, check your spec (I don't get much of a choice) and now the new future options they aren't the same

We all know that LR can do no wrong in your eyes, but surely you could at least read what he wrote before jumping to LR's defence. Rolling Eyes

I would bet that most buyers of a premium LR product would expect it to have full off road capability baked in, and not that they'd have to pay extra for it. Off road ability is LR's USP. Take that away and it's just another seller of expensive school buses.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #22233628th Apr 2021 11:03 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Well, you have to accept what you are given in that case. Wink

I'm not jumping to LRs 'defence' ..I just look at it rationally rather than jump to the irrational attack of some. Whistle

Many rarely used items are being stripped off LRs as options ...for one simple reason ...weight. They can claim the basic model against emission regs.

Toodle pip.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #22233688th Apr 2021 11:20 pm
mse

Thanks rrtdv8 - and yes I'm usually a fan of the d5 I've certainly supported it here

My line was more of a warning to check spec etc...

I can't add the off road pack or dual speed transfer certainly it wasn't an option choice on this round when we spec'd the car and I'm expecting it won't be in the future knowing the options I can usually choose.

Note it's is a HSE r dynamic with already a lot on it

This will, however, trickle down...we may have a new one 1-2 times a year, many buy second hand...it wouldn't surprise me to see a significant number not having the advanced off road pack new because many won't see it as required or realise....if it's not built with it then your stuffed 2nd hand

There is a debate whether it's either advanced off road or basic for the platform... equally this is the discovery, it's also a £85-90k car there is a level of capabilities it should come with by default it isn't a disco sport or rre or even a jag

Like I say a warning for people especially when they buy my car from a dealer in 6-12 months time to check the spec closely it's not the same

Put it this way, buy the time I got to the motorway each feature that's now an option or disappeared I noticed had gone, that's in 5 minutes. Like lane keep helped massively on long journeys
 Mike  
Post #22233749th Apr 2021 5:43 am
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

DG wrote:
.....Many rarely used items are being stripped off LRs as options ...for one simple reason ...weight.....

I’d suggest it’s also to make a longer, and more expensive “options” list, as well as weight.
I’m currently looking at speccing a (non-LR) car.
I haven’t configured a new car for a long time, and genuinely surprised at how many things that I would assume were on “premium” cars/SUVs are actually on the extra cost-options list, or part of a “pack”....some are what I would describe as basic.
Perhaps I’ve been spoiled with my current D4 HSE, which seems to have “everything” as standard, and it seems if I want such things as rear heated seats and keyless entry etc, I need to pick the “comfort pack” option Confused
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #22233769th Apr 2021 5:58 am
mse

That will be part of it

Things like loosing steering assist is an odd one though

Rear climate is now not standard
 Mike  
Post #22233809th Apr 2021 6:24 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Do we really need low box with an 8HP? Confused
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #22233819th Apr 2021 6:27 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Not in day to day use. I’m with DG on this, it’s an option, not too expensive either. Packaging options is a long established way of maximising the up sell on a product.

Post #22233869th Apr 2021 6:50 am
robpenrose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Is the D5 still permanent 4wd? I’m sure I read somewhere that the driveline has changed if you don’t have the transfer box and it’s often in 2wd?

Current: D4 HSE
Previous: BMW Z4M Coupe
Previous: Land Rover Defender 90 CSW Td5
Previous: Land Rover Discovery Td5 ES 

Post #22233969th Apr 2021 7:31 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

It's worth pointing out, for transparency reasons so DG doesn't think I'm picking on the D5 Wink Laughing , that the 22MY L494 RRS is also fitted with single-speed transfer case in the lower specs. Indeed, when the L494 first came out, it was equipped with single-speed transfer box in the base spec.

If the gearbox was fitted with a proper crawler 1st gear, it might be reasonable to suggest that low range isn't needed, but I've found on my 89-speed L320 RRS that first isn't low enough sometimes and low range is then selected. Admittedly, this isn't doing school-run/commuting type driving.

LR's USP is their off road ability. Others make excellent road-going luxury SUVs with "some off road ability". Those others also have a reputation for being more reliable etc., than LR's products. SO if LR are going to water down their USP, they need to justify the high sticker price some other way. Make them bullet-proof reliable, for example, or provide the best after-sales support to owners. Currently, neither of those apply.

I played around with the configurator last night, and both D5 and RRS get very expensive very quickly, especially if you want the full panoply of off road tech. The Defender, on the other hand, seemed like a bargain in comparison (a £50k+ bargain, mind).

In the second hand market in future, those of us wanting low range etc., will have to be careful when reading ads and phone sellers to remember to check that the cars have it fitted.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #22234029th Apr 2021 7:48 am
mse

All of those points are where my mind isat, all I can liken it to is the D2 back in 2000 or do, when they deleted cdl but I'm not sure there will be the critics to reverse that this time?!

I'm ignoring a lot of what is lost in this latest my, as by far the dual range transfer is most annoying and like I say I use all the time when towing. Moving my ifor off road loaded high is a piece of junk and none of the special programmes cut it!

As mentioned I expect more to not have it selected than have it which just flies against the point of the core the rr, disco and defender

As for 2/4wd as far as I'm aware it's still 4wd the only thing I read on the defender was the intelligent 4wd, but I've not even seen that on the disco

Jfyi mine is the top spec so we aren't talking an entry model!!
 Mike  
Post #22234179th Apr 2021 9:04 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >