Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Discovery 5 - L462

New D5 and omg
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
al cope

England 

We can overthink some of these things. I too like having low range (which my MY18 D5 has) for moving my ‘van on site, but there are hundreds of cars out there towing big T/A ‘vans, and commercial vans towing plant without a low range, or 4wd, and they don’t have a problem. It’s the same with wanting the 3 litre for towing, yes it’s nice, but the 2ltr tows really well, and has more bhp and torque than the 2.7 V6 D3 had, which we all thought was a great tow car.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #225687413th Oct 2021 7:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

thought it was krappo from the start...this thread just confirms that

Post #225690714th Oct 2021 12:35 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JordsDisco

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 3.0 SDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

And yet it keeps selling.

I’ve looked at the configurator and yes it’s an add on, but I could add it. Thing is, despite having low range for years, I can’t think I’ve ever used it.

Post #225692014th Oct 2021 6:36 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Over the years I have used low range probably 6 - 8 times a year - but every time it has been important if not essential. I wouldn't be without it.

NJSS

Post #225692714th Oct 2021 7:51 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I’d have been stuck at least half a mile from any tarmac twice last winter if I hadn’t had low range. It helped me out on several other occasions.

I do however accept that the vast majority of FFRR’s and D5’s will never be used in low range.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #225694214th Oct 2021 9:14 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

I use low range a few times a year, sometimes I use it even though it's not necessary but because it gives a more controlled low speed rather than having to ride the brakes. It's also useful at times getting the horse trailer in and out of its spot in the yard. And it's useful for towing people up the hill at the end of the village when it snows. Laughing

I'd be loathe to give up low range in a LR.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #225694314th Oct 2021 9:18 am
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

The next one has it, we do miss it and notice it missing.

That said, this d5 is nippy and does great mpg
 Mike  
Post #225720415th Oct 2021 7:35 pm
andrewc2102

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Whilst I agree somewhat that a disco should always come with lo range, the interesting fact of the matter is that the modern engines have so much torque that 1st and 2nd gear in hi range are torque capped anyway, this is the case with any Landrover product with the last 10 or so years.

This means that in low range you don't get any more torque at the wheels (where it matters) that you do in hi range, meaning that the vehicle is no less capable in terms of tractive effort if it's not fitted with low range.

The only real benefit to low range is the low speed control it can give you in rock crawl type situations.

Post #226411826th Nov 2021 12:22 pm
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

We have at least one new Land Rover a year, sometimes 2 and not to disagree, low range drops everything and the tractive effort at the wheels is notable improved with low range.

Where I used to store the trailers was up a small incline into a barn, grass, low range would get the trailer up on wet grass, hi no chance

If I have 5 minutes I should look what if any mapping changes selecting low gives, it wouldn’t surprise me if that also plays
 Mike  
Post #226958629th Dec 2021 1:51 am
kirkyworld

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

It's not a vehicle I would consider any longer, even when they sort the hideous looks. I'm still stuck in my runout 4.5 until something grabs me, which is not a bad place to be to be fair.

Post #226959629th Dec 2021 8:19 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

Having had a number of Discos over the years specifically for towing, I have always found low range useful and when I came to change my D5 earlier this year looked at this a lot.
The D5 is not the same vehicle it was and now uses a similar drive train 4x4 set up to other mass market SUVs in that it doesn't have fixed four wheel drive available all the time. This has been confirmed by LR.

The only cars that do are those fitted with hi/low box.

Hence my search for a D5 at the start of the year came to an abrupt stop.

However as someone has already said 99% of the population who drive any large SUV wouldn't know what a two speed box was and wouldn't know how to use it. As a result I can see why LR adopted the policy of dropping it as standard fit, they can save a lot of money all round which doesn't seem to be passed onto the customer as such.

With regards to cost of car, the £85-90K that has been quoted seems a very high figure. I took delivery of a new D300 R Dynamic HSE with two speed box, advance tow pack, opening sunroof and much much more for a £1000 more than I paid for my 17 plate First edition when it was launched 4.5 years ago.

So yes if you wan the capability it is available for now but at an additional cost, if you need it you will pay for it as there isn't any others cars I could find with the same ride quality with a twin speed box.

One final thought, this may well be the last Discovery with the sort of capability we all want. Things will change as LR cannot get the Disco to work as an electric car in the 7 seat format that we have now. The car will have to be totally re-designed, again confirmed by LR and I am sure that when or if this happens the capability will drop significantly. I have heard a few salesmen say that the Disco will disappear before!!!!!!
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #226960929th Dec 2021 9:44 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

So just wondering, could all Land/Range Rover Models go this way of having two wheel drive (with electronic four wheel drive when sensed it’s needed) and then leave just the Defender to the ‘proper’ hi/lo four wheel drive system?

Also, in doing so that would save LR from trying to revive the awkward Road Rover name.
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #226963429th Dec 2021 11:10 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

Ronp I see no reason that all LRs including Defender wouldn't go that way in the not to distant future especially if they continue with the all electric idea
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #226964429th Dec 2021 12:05 pm
J77

Scotland 

My 21MY 90 has the same drivetrain as the latest D5 but still has low range.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #226968429th Dec 2021 4:42 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Russell wrote:

One final thought, this may well be the last Discovery with the sort of capability we all want. Things will change as LR cannot get the Disco to work as an electric car in the 7 seat format that we have now. The car will have to be totally re-designed, again confirmed by LR and I am sure that when or if this happens the capability will drop significantly. I have heard a few salesmen say that the Disco will disappear before!!!!!!

With Defender being what it is, I don't see how the Disco is needed in the range now. Defender and the FFRR can be had with more than 5 seats. For those that don't need 7 seats, the RRS and Velar are better steers, better looking and, in the RRS's case, every bit as capable off road should anyone want to go off road.

The Disco Sport makes more sense but is just an Evoque XL really.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #226971129th Dec 2021 6:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >