Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

New caravan experiences...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

So.... We had our holiday in Cornwall, and very enjoyable it was too! Not much rain, but the roof light did leak. I had a chance to have a closer look at the issue whilst it was on site.

The roof is flat on an Elddis, so when the caravan is level the rain forms pools in any depressions in the roof. The Heki skylight sits in one of these slight depressions. It’s only a few mm’s but it allows water to pool around the frame. I went and bought a roll of Gorilla waterproof repair tape. Cleaned up the edges of the frame and applied the tape. It sticks like Censored to a blanket and is waterproof. It’s like bitumen on a roll!!

This stopped the leak for the remainder of the holiday. The caravan is now back in storage, with its nose in the air to stop water pooling on the roof, and I’ve ordered a new Defender instead!

It’s next trip is Braemar in February, Covid restrictions allowing 🤞 Hopefully behind a new Defender!!

Post #218689114th Nov 2020 10:11 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

stew 46 wrote:
Sister in law has had there brand new swift for 3 weeks and now back at the dealers because it’s leaking !!! , that’s a poor show Censored

What is leaking ?
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #218691814th Nov 2020 12:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Russell

United Kingdom 

Gareth wrote:
So.... We had our holiday in Cornwall, and very enjoyable it was too! Not much rain, but the roof light did leak. I had a chance to have a closer look at the issue whilst it was on site.

The roof is flat on an Elddis, so when the caravan is level the rain forms pools in any depressions in the roof. The Heki skylight sits in one of these slight depressions. It’s only a few mm’s but it allows water to pool around the frame. I went and bought a roll of Gorilla waterproof repair tape. Cleaned up the edges of the frame and applied the tape. It sticks like Censored to a blanket and is waterproof. It’s like bitumen on a roll!!

This stopped the leak for the remainder of the holiday. The caravan is now back in storage, with its nose in the air to stop water pooling on the roof, and I’ve ordered a new Defender instead!

It’s next trip is Braemar in February, Covid restrictions allowing 🤞 Hopefully behind a new Defender!!

Good luck with the Defender, wen and looked at one and didn't like the inside or the very small boot. Also couldn't justify the price once specked up as it was more than an equivalent D5 Big Cry

With regards to caravans, we have had all sorts over the years including Dethleffs, Lunar Bailey Avondale and most recently Swift

We would have brought a second Dethleffs when we came to change, the only thing that stopped us was they had stopped importing vans into the UK in UK spec (door on the left hand side)

Swift is the only other van we have gone back to the make for a second time. We had a Swift Elegance 645 for four years and changed it last year for an Elegance 645 Grande (8 foot wide) which we love. Have had a couple of very minor issues with electrics but all solved over the phone. Also had a small hole appear in rear panel the week before the first service, this was reported and photographed, Swift and the dealers confirmed it was the result of an air bubble in the gel coat and carried out a repair whilst it was in for service. We have used it for about four weeks since then with no issues and would thoroughly recommend Swift Elegance range. If you want great dealer contact the ladies at MG Caravans Royston, three sisters run the dealership. Fantastic service and very competitive.
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #218692114th Nov 2020 12:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Cheers Russel. Defender is an expensive but exciting change. I’ve been in a Discovery for 25 years plus.

How are you getting on with your Series 2 restoration?

Post #218694914th Nov 2020 1:44 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Yes I loved the look of it and would have probably brought one till I looked inside didn't even go for a test drive in the end Big Cry

Series is getting there slowly but expensively. Chassis has arrived and axles have all been rebuilt and put back on with new springs. Bulkhead arrived a couple of weeks ago and looks great, not fitted yet a while before that will happen.

Just started to strip the engine down, do you know of a good manual for the engine by any chance?
When you did your engine did you put hardened valve seats in?

What is leaking on your sister Swift.
D4 camera club 

Post #218701714th Nov 2020 5:42 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Haynes manual is good, but an older copy of you can find it. The ‘Green bible’ is detailed. You can download or read that on the S2 club website.

Definitely redo the head with hardened seats. Also I wish I’d upped the compression ratio a bit (9-1) with a skim. Missed opportunity there!

Last edited by Gareth on 14th Nov 2020 6:01 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #218702114th Nov 2020 6:00 pm
Shropshire blue

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Another recommendation for Adria. 2 years and no issues!!

Post #218702214th Nov 2020 6:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >