Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D4)

multiple 12v outlets
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
xcentric

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4
multiple 12v outlets

I have a multiple 12v outlet (in fact, 3 x 3 of them) - am wondering about wiring them and fusing them. I assume it's best to fuse each one, but given most loads are relatively light, how acceptable is it to have one fuse per bank of 3? I'd fuse it so that the fuse was less than the rating for the wiring to the 3, so would this be ok?

(otherwise, I'll have to buy another fusebox - and the wiring's a lot messier Laughing )

Post #149997410th Jul 2015 10:50 pm
Andy Foster

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I would fuse individually that way if the fuse does go you still have two outlets working.

Andy
 D4 MY15 SE TECH
D3 gone but never forgotten. 

Post #149997910th Jul 2015 10:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tlt

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

Where do you plan to install them, for what purpose?

You would be fairly safe to run a larger gauge wire, split it at the end with a pig tail, and connect the three. It would be nice to add a fuse on the + side on each, or you should use something like a anderson power pole, a bit more complex. I would suggest fusing the lead direct from the battery on the + and on the - which is the safest bet, if a short develops anywhere in the wiring run, the fuse blows at the battery, rather than burning your car down.

Lots of pictures in the various sections in my gallery.. Ham, Solar, Traxide, etc..

I hope this helps.

Post #149998510th Jul 2015 10:59 pm
xcentric

usage: T-max split charge system being installed, so this will run off the aux battery. Major feed fused, then fuse box for distributing power from there. Anderson connectors for fridge, then these 3x3 12v outlets (cameras, phones, iPads, walkie talkies all to be powered) - but starting to think I don't need 9 outlets Laughing

Andy - agree individual fuses will be slightly more flexible, but simplicity might mean I have one bank as lower power (and one fuse) and one banks as higher (individually fused).

Post #149999310th Jul 2015 11:11 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

For most of your devices an installed strip of high amp USB sockets would be neater and easier, leaving your remaining sockets free for anything that really does need the full 12v.
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #150008911th Jul 2015 8:55 am
xcentric

Robbie - have got 3 double usb sockets, and 6 standard 12v outlets. Am probably going to have one row of the USB's, and then 2 rows of the 12v outlets. Though for first install, I may only put one of those rows in.....

Post #150011311th Jul 2015 9:54 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

As more and more devices are going to the higher power levels (eg iPad Air @ 2.4A, iPhone 6 @2.1A etc) you may want to consider having a USB solution that can provide these power levels at all sockets, when required, to provide some future-proofing.

As we don't tend to charge for long periods in a car (compared to an overnight charge at home) I would argue that higher power USBs are essential for vehicle use.

Bodsy's setup provides a nice mix of 12v and 5v sockets in a nice neat installation:

http://www.disco4.com/forum/topic130987.html

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #150011711th Jul 2015 10:11 am
tlt

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

xcentric wrote:
usage: T-max split charge system being installed, so this will run off the aux battery. Major feed fused, then fuse box for distributing power from there. Anderson connectors for fridge, then these 3x3 12v outlets (cameras, phones, iPads, walkie talkies all to be powered) - but starting to think I don't need 9 outlets Laughing

Andy - agree individual fuses will be slightly more flexible, but simplicity might mean I have one bank as lower power (and one fuse) and one banks as higher (individually fused).

OK then-- I basically did something very similar.. I installed my 2 Aux sockets and Anderson Power Pole in the boot.. There are pictures of the setup there. I used marine sockets, mainly because there is only one spot there was clearance to install them at the angle I did. The reason, is that it's out of the way of the most everything when you do.. As is the solar controller, etc. The pictures I have in there should give you some ideas then..

Post #150046012th Jul 2015 1:53 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >