Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

low revs - excessive engine / turbo or fan sound.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Disco4sav

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
low revs - excessive engine / turbo or fan sound.

Hi,

New to the forum today as I've been looking around for some advice using the search feature to see if I can get to the bottom of an issue I'm having with a D4 2012. Its covered 60k miles and just been serviced in May.

The other day whilst driving it we noticed that when pulling away from rest, or under gentle acceleration, it sounds very loud. It almost ROARS !. It's like the fan or the turbo is working really hard. It then dies off once the car is up to speed or when you ease off the accelerator. See link below to video. If you turn up the volume you can hear it when the car pulls away. The video hasn't picked the sound too well as it sounds a lot louder in the car:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bx5wvosjp05uwyk/IMG_0714.mp4?dl=0

I've had a read and noticed a few people complaining of a similar issue and possible issues being the small turbo. However, most people have stated they have had the following issues too, which we don't have: Drop in power, using too much of fuel and black smoke.

My local garage are looking into it. I was hoping somebody could give me some advice that I could perhaps pass on to them to speed up the diagnostics. Thanks. Thumbs Up

Post #196392616th Jul 2018 9:53 am
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Sounds like you're viscous fan coupling is over active. Its normal for the fan to roar from a cold start up which usually disappears after about 30 to 60 secs once the viscous coupling has centrifugally settled.

The fan roar is also normal if you are driving the vehicle hard in warm or hot weather, as its preventing overheat! If you're driving easy with a warm engine you shouldn't hear it unless above applies. If you are, it might be a sign that the viscous coupling is on the way out. Not a big or expensive job, 30 mins labour plus cost of coupling.

Post #196393016th Jul 2018 10:35 am
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Had exactly that sound on a LR3 V8 petrol in USA in about 35 degree C. Every time I stopped at traffic lights viscous fan would cut in making significant roaring noise, then fade out once on the move again.

Post #196398916th Jul 2018 12:24 pm
JonM

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Perfectly normal in hot weather. The viscous fan kicks in whenever the car needs more cooling than the natural airflow provides. In hot weather it needs even more if you're using the air con.
 MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price! - So good I bought another!
MY2012 D4 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - retired to a new home

Post #196399216th Jul 2018 12:28 pm
Disco4sav

Thank you very much for the comments. Much appreciated.

The garage have said it's the viscous fan making the noise too. Just heard back from them. However, it never did it last summer which says to me that perhaps the coupling is over active and on its way out? If this is the case then does it need replacing urgently? I'm driving to France in it for first 2 weeks on August and wouldn't want it to pack up and ruin the holiday when I'm there. Can't imagine it would be easy to get fixed in France.

Post #196401816th Jul 2018 1:25 pm
JonM

Mine's always done it. We're just having a hotter summer this year Thumbs Up
MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price! - So good I bought another!

Post #196401916th Jul 2018 1:28 pm
Disco4sav

Thanks JonM. I appreciate it's quite hot, but are Land Rover expecting everybody in hotter parts of the world to drive around with the fan running all year!! It makes a hell of a noise.

I had an X5 for years and drove it on some very hot days abroad and never heard anything like the noise that's currently coming from my D4. I honestly thought it was a fault. Felt like a right prat when the garage said it's normal !!

Post #196414916th Jul 2018 6:12 pm
JonM

It only makes the rather satisfying "roar" for the first 100m or so when moving off in hot weather....or if you've really been working the engine hard at low speeds in hot conditions.

It's just the car proving to you that it can keep itself cool even in the most arduous conditions (and I think I sounds rather good). Have you ever heard of a D4 overheating (except when they catch fire)?

Post #196415116th Jul 2018 6:18 pm
Disco4sav

It certainly does roar doesn’t it. Oddly it didn’t do it at all last summer, but then again we’ve had a warm one recently haven’t we. Just surprised it kicks in like it does at UK summer temperatures. I’m glad I don’t drive a Disco in a very hot country all year like Dubai!! It does sound quite good I agree, but it would drive me mad. Other manufacturers don’t have this issue. I didn’t buy a Disco for roars I bought it for refinement, comfort, family lugging duties and bit of off-road work! However I’m sure I can live with it. I can also sleep tonight knowing I haven’t got a massive bill coming my way Very Happy

Thanks for all the help and constructive comments. Much appreciated folks. Thumbs Up

Post #196418316th Jul 2018 7:30 pm
PROFSR G

The viscous coupling is calibrated for different markets, so if you had a LR in Dubai it will have the same coupling but calibrated for higher ambient temperatures.

This summer is hotter than recent years, and so its not unreasonable to hear the fan roar more often.
The question is how often is it reacting? If,... its constantly running then there's clearly something wrong, if only occasionally then that's acceptable given you are experiencing hotter conditions than the annual norm!

Any car with a viscous coupling will react just the same regardless of manufacturer (generic component)
Vehicles fitted with electric fans can spool up to a required speed at any given moment.
Or, repeatedly if required which is why you don't often hear them. Viscous fans are less able to apply a variable fan speed, and therefore are nearly always either fully engaged or not at all. (roaring or idling)
They are driven by the engine, and so the available torque is able to shift vast amounts of air very quickly, hence the larger blades compared to electrically driven fans. This makes the viscous coupling very efficient whilst placing no demands on the electrical system.

OOps! just realised the rant Embarassed apologies but its too late an hour Laughing to edit

Post #196428417th Jul 2018 1:26 am
Disco4sav

Thanks ProfsrG. Not a rant. All useful information. It's hard to write things on a forum as it can be read in several ways! I appreciate your time and advice.

At the moment my fan seems to kick in a lot at low speeds / pulling away and runs until up to speed. Once up to speed its fine. I was thinking of leaving it until the weather cools down to see if it still kicks in. If it doesn't then we know it's the summer heat causing the issue. Given it started doing this in June and didn't do it last summer I'm inclined to think you're right and it's the abnormal higher summer temperatures that's the issue.

However, I'm in France for two weeks in August and I'm now not sure if I should get the coupling replaced for peace of mind (as you say 30 mins labour and £40 for the part). Wouldn't want there to be an issue over there as can imagine it would be easy to get sorted.

What do you think Prof? Leave it or replace it?

Post #196435117th Jul 2018 8:55 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

The moment you stop travelling with a hot engine heat builds up, this can be and is the cause of catastrophic engine failure, quite common with electric fans that have not run all winter. After a long high speed run on a hot day the car is is stopped for whatever reason the fan does not cut in, the engine coolant boils resulting in a burst hose at best and/or a distorted cylinder head or engine block and we all know what that means in a Discovery-£20k repair or scrap, this is why on cars with electric fans the fan will continue running for several minutes after the engine has stopped.
The roar is a good indication the fan is running correctly, when a viscous fan fails or deteriates it stops roaring, not roars more, if it is roaring more than usual keep a watchful eye on the temp gauge, if it is reading hot and the fan is roaring continually you may have another problem.
The last thing you do is to take the coolant bottle cap off when it is overheating
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #196437017th Jul 2018 10:06 am
PROFSR G

Disco4sav wrote:
Thanks ProfsrG. Not a rant. All useful information. It's hard to write things on a forum as it can be read in several ways! I appreciate your time and advice.

At the moment my fan seems to kick in a lot at low speeds / pulling away and runs until up to speed. Once up to speed its fine. I was thinking of leaving it until the weather cools down to see if it still kicks in. If it doesn't then we know it's the summer heat causing the issue. Given it started doing this in June and didn't do it last summer I'm inclined to think you're right and it's the abnormal higher summer temperatures that's the issue.

However, I'm in France for two weeks in August and I'm now not sure if I should get the coupling replaced for peace of mind (as you say 30 mins labour and £40 for the part). Wouldn't want there to be an issue over there as can imagine it would be easy to get sorted.

What do you think Prof? Leave it or replace it?

I would be more concerned if I wasn't hearing a roar from the fan! I have come across vc's that are stuck (constantly engaged) but that is rare! Whilst its annoying at least you know the engine is safe from coolant overheat, even though its now being overcooled and less fuel efficient.

I would recommend you change it and have your best mechanic check the entire cooling system (circulation, coolant mix, leaks) whilst they are at it. As M3DPO says "The roar is a good indication the fan is running correctly" but if it stops roaring the engine might stop roaring too.....permanently!

If you were only doing short local driving perhaps you could weather it out (excuse pun) and see if it settles down, but as you are intending a long journey I would not risk it, the cost of it failing will be severe as against the small cost of preventative measures now.

Post #196438717th Jul 2018 10:52 am
Disco4sav

Agreed. Will get the coupling replaced and system checked. As you say, could be catastrophic. Thanks again.

Post #196439617th Jul 2018 11:10 am
PROFSR G

Thumbs Up Enjoy France!

Post #196461417th Jul 2018 8:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >