Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Lost power - no turbo effect until 3000 rpms
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
jorgens98

Denmark 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Lost power - no turbo effect until 3000 rpms

We went offroad today for an hour, but it was not really rough driving. A couple of times we was in low gear and used the HDC-system another couple of times.

But when we left the area and was back on tarmac the car has lost power. There is no turbo effect until very high rpm - around 3000. This also means that driving up a hill with 60 mph, we were loosing speed, until I forced the car in to a lower gear. And then the turbo kick in.

What is happening???

It is a Disco 3 TDV6 SE from 2006 - and it has done 50.000 miles.

Yours sincerely

Jan Jorgensen
Denmark

Post #2697608th Mar 2008 9:18 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

welcome,

Have you turned Terrain Response off ?

Any Dash lights on ?

EGR Valve/s have been known to go Rolling Eyes and initial feeling can be a loss of low down power. Mine failed with a bit more drama but eventually the electric brain caught up and the Engine Mangement Light came on.

Hope it's nothing serious.
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #2697618th Mar 2008 9:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lr1

United Kingdom 

Sounds very like an EGR valve failing, it seems this is happening to quite a lot of D3's at present. Mine went 6 days out of warranty but the dealer says there will be no charge for replacement Very Happy

Post #2697658th Mar 2008 9:26 pm
jorgens98

Terrain response was off all the time. Only used manual HDC and low gear when off road. Later I tried to switch terrain response on and off again just to be sure.

And no dash lights on - no information center either.

I have heard the airrmass meter failure could do this to a turbo diesel???

Jan

Post #2697668th Mar 2008 9:27 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Think others have posted about this too. EGR valves is where my money is Rolling Eyes
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #2697688th Mar 2008 9:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jorgens98

Have just search the forum on EGR - and sounds pretty much lige the thing I experience. Ex:

I have recently posted on this elsewhere in here, largely due to drastic loss of power at low revs, then a sudden rush at 2250 - 2500 when the turbo suddenly wakes up fully. Into the stealer last week to confirm the suspicion of EGR valves. Same problem with supply though - currently on back order, with no indication on when they will arrive. Needless to say, this arose with 2 months of my warranty evaporating, so I am facing a bill of £380

Mine just comes a little later.

Monday - to the dealer....

Thanx for swift replies!

Jan

Post #2697728th Mar 2008 9:44 pm
Bonzo

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Jorgens - you've just beaten me to it. The post extract you have included above is mine. Since then, my problem has gone away, without the need to replace the EGR Valve. The stealer diagnosed that it was the right hand valve that had gone. In the delay to get the part and then further delay in arranging a time to get it fitted, the problem disappeared. I am aware from other posters that this sometimes happens - a bit of muck or something getting into the valve and sticking it - then it all goes well. If you are under warranty, Id say get it fixed. If like me you are just out of warranty, see how long you can live with it. Does anyone else have experience of this problem solving itself?

Post #27038910th Mar 2008 3:49 pm
al cope

England 

mine had cleared by the time it went into the dealer, so had run OK for about 1 month from the last occurance. The dealer replaced the left hand EGR valve, as it still gave him the fault codes.

Alan
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #27039410th Mar 2008 4:12 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

They are in very short supply from what is said on here too.

Maybe worth getting the dealer to look at them and get some on back order now just in case Wink

Post #27040110th Mar 2008 4:23 pm
Hobgoblin

Location: As always, in the sh*t, it's only the depth that varies

Spain 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

Maybe a stupid question Rolling Eyes but what happens if you insert blanking plates into the EGRs, do the EGRs analyse the gasses or do they just tell the ECU when to open and close them Question
 I'm not as good as I once was........but I'm as good once as I ever was.  
Post #27050510th Mar 2008 6:53 pm
simoniz

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

EGR itus!!! - I have the same problem - going into dealer 2moz after 3 weeks back order on parts. Slow rev the engine with bonnet up and you will hear the damn thing clattering away instead of doing its job. Most obvious on start up on a cold morning when trying to go up hill,usually drop a gear and you get the power back to gain sufficient revs to get turbo in.

Fear not its fixable!!

Thumbs Up

Post #27065810th Mar 2008 10:33 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hobgoblin wrote:
Maybe a stupid question Rolling Eyes but what happens if you insert blanking plates into the EGRs, do the EGRs analyse the gasses or do they just tell the ECU when to open and close them Question
the EGR's are a 'closed loop feedback' type - it's possible to blank them off but they stil need to be active
simoniz - there is a recent TSB relating to 'clattering' this is tubo related not EGR
"The rattle emanates from the VGT linkage, either LHS or RHS and is due to the lower-than-expected friction level of the turbo VGT linkage mechanism causing the Boost Pressure Actuator (BPA) controller to oscillate. 2. The idle governor setting is not sensitive enough to control the cylinder balance under these conditions. 3. The software is too sensitive regarding torque monitoring under these conditions. 4. Smoke elimination settings are too sensitive under these conditions. 5. Using the FBH causes the coolant temperature sensor to read artificially high pre. the cold start. 6. The idle governor setting is not able to control idle under these conditions. 7. Clutch 'C' plates have coefficient of friction not compatible with shift learning pattern" V6 Diesel Only VIN-range: LA7A239040-LA8A271512

Last edited by 10forcash on 10th Mar 2008 11:27 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #27066910th Mar 2008 10:46 pm
BCP

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I had a rattling engine and mpgs of 24 at best. I was blaming the FBH. Something happened and it is smooth again and currently averaging 28.6. I assume something was out of kilter and sorted itself. Think I'll be buying the extended warranty Whistle

BCP

Post #27070810th Mar 2008 11:21 pm
jorgens98

Hi

An update.

The test says fault in the EGR vault. Yes problems with supply here in Denmark too. I suggested to take from one in the showroom.....

But the have managed to get one and on Friday I am going there again.

yours

Jan

Post #27109011th Mar 2008 7:37 pm
LHD

Switzerland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

interestingly, I had the same fault last week on an 18-month old TDV6 with 57'000km on the clock - it was crawling like a right tractor until about 2500rpm when the torque from the diesel kicked in. Made getting out of my garage a pain as I had to take a run up the little slope to get out!!

They will be replacing the EGV shortly and have managed to clear it a little....
 Discovery 3 Manual as PDF | Blackvue 500 | BAS Remap | Mates did South America in a Landie

Post #27110411th Mar 2008 8:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >