DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Limp Mode when warm
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Teessidelad33

United Kingdom 
Limp Mode when warm

Hope someone can help
Disco 3 2006 after starting from cold drives fine for 20 minutes or so and then once the temperature gauge is at half way for a few minutes goes into limp mode with various faults flashing up like lowering suspension, suspension fault, hdc fault, park brake fault. Turn engine off and back on all OK for another minute or 2 then same again. Let the engine cool and it's ok again.
Code reader giving various codes but P0183 fuel temperature sensor a circuit high input,p0527 fan speed sensor circuit range/ performance, p0087 fuel rail / system pressure - too low
Any help please 🙏 😢

Post #237090911th Jun 2024 5:22 pm
Scissors

United Kingdom 

Just been researching this LRTime on youtube covered this , similar symptoms to yours, turns out they changed the fuel filter , having been quoted £2000 for new pump .

Post #237091211th Jun 2024 6:24 pm
Teessidelad33

United Kingdom 

Thanks will try it, just strange how when it's only warm though.

Post #237091711th Jun 2024 7:56 pm
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I’ve currently got exactly the same on my G4… did exactly as you said.. drives for 20 mins then bing bong everything fails…
Couldn’t have happened on the worse place ever on Bank Holiday Monday.. driving fine… heading to the beach with a happy wife and three border collies all anticipant on having a long run on the beach!

Operation Brock is the total disaster created by Highways England to separate any traffic heading to the Chunnel and runs a ridiculous contra flow for 13 miles with no hard shoulder and running along the opposite carriageway…. You’ve guessed my bongs went off just as I reached the contraflow in the fast offside lane… lose all power suspension dies engine fault, gearbox fault, handbrake fault, you name it I had it..
Lorries bearing down on me and wife pretty terrified as we go slower and slower…everything dying… frantically instructing the missus to put together my old Hawkeye and plug it into the obd whilst rolling frantically clearing faults.. I had 0087 fuel rail too low and 132B turbocharger boost control and 2290 injector control pressure too low… could clear the faults but could’nt clear the F unless I recycled the ignition after which it drove perfectly for 5 mins!

Tried to carry on but got progressively worse and would fault instantly upon demanding throttle.. managed to get to a safe field entrance to at least release the dogs !
RAC recovery back to garage where it was also suggested fuel filter. Changed it and cut open the old one which was dirty but not horrendously..

Collected car which ran perfectly for the 30 miles towards home and just as I was less than 2 miles from home the dreaded bing bongs went again…FFS..

Now anticipating trying to nurse it back to the garage for a rather expensive HPFP to be fitted! Big Cry Big Cry

If anyone knows what the fault is caused by I’ll love you forever if it’s cheaper than the fuel pump!

Post #237092311th Jun 2024 9:27 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Re: Limp Mode when warm

Teessidelad33 wrote:
Hope someone can help
Disco 3 2006 after starting from cold drives fine for 20 minutes or so and then once the temperature gauge is at half way for a few minutes goes into limp mode with various faults.
Code reader giving various codes but P0183 fuel temperature sensor a circuit high

Check the plug/wiring connection to the sensor as this can very often be the problem rather than the sensor itself.

Once that's solved see what other fault codes persist.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #237093412th Jun 2024 12:19 am
PROFSR G

Farmer Chalk wrote:

Collected car which ran perfectly for the 30 miles towards home and just as I was less than 2 miles from home the dreaded bing bongs went again…FFS..

Now anticipating trying to nurse it back to the garage for a rather expensive HPFP to be fitted! Big Cry Big Cry

Can you post what codes are being logged since the filter change?
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #237093512th Jun 2024 12:23 am
loanrangie

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I had the 0087 2290 error codes at easter when towing our caravan, had to pull over 3 times for a restart on the way home.
Changed the fuel filter and had one episode shortly after but none since then and we went away last weekend towing the van thru mountain roads and not one issue.

Post #237093712th Jun 2024 4:10 am
Farmer Chalk

PROFSR G wrote:
Farmer Chalk wrote:

Can you post what codes are being logged since the filter change?

The only one I am getting now is the old P0087 Fuel rail / System pressure too low!

Post #237093812th Jun 2024 6:14 am
Farmer Chalk

As with Teesidelad it drives perfectly for about twenty minutes from initial cold start then faults and gets continually worse until it’s undriveable and downright dangerous hence needing the recovery…
What are your thoughts?

Post #237093912th Jun 2024 6:18 am
PROFSR G

I'd be going for the lpfp and a genuine fuel filter before even thinking about the hpfp.

There is a test/guide on here somewhere Ian (Robbie I think) if you do a search.

WhatsApp me if you need to! Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #237096112th Jun 2024 12:49 pm
Teessidelad33

United Kingdom 

Still struggling on. Changed the fuel rail pressure sensor, also changed the viscous fan.
Check the sensor wiring but really struggling. Local garage reckon it's Injectors as seen similar fault before.

How do you diagnose low pressure fuel pump ??

Any further suggestions from anyone ?

Post #237174223rd Jun 2024 4:37 pm
Farmer Chalk

Got up early yesterday morning to take the orange one to the garage.. all pre prepared with old trusty Hawkeye ready to clear faults and the tow rope set up for a quick emergency hitch .. Brother helping and tow hitch deployed for quick hitch off the motorway if required…

Typical car drove faultlessly all the way to the garage.. now all booked in for multiple repairs on the old girl!

Will keep you all posted !

Post #23726757th Jul 2024 6:36 pm
Farmer Chalk

Well on the grounds of pure reliability, whereby we are either pulling a horsebox full of horses or a boot full of collies, I booked my car in and had both the HPFP and LPFP replaced. It was easier this way as I also had to have the rear propshaft replaced.. thus I bit the bullet cost wise.

The car has since driven faultlessly but I will report back after we have done a couple of decent length journeys. So no help really .. it was either one or the other but one that I could not gamble with unfortunately… Shocked

Post #237333815th Jul 2024 9:47 pm
Farmer Chalk

Alas despite spending a small fortune on her the old girl returned to her old tricks.. drove perfectly for a couple of long journeys, certainly over the twenty minutes then this weekend she threw a tantrum when asked for more power going up a slight hill.. P0087 fault fuel pressure too low despite new everything…
Big Cry

Post #237421130th Jul 2024 6:17 am
YASRR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Forgive me if you have already considered/tried this but I had similar problems with a Defender.

The solution was a new fuel filler cap, the vent was blocked and after a while created a vacuum and wouldn't pump enough fuel.

Simon

Post #237422430th Jul 2024 11:30 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >