Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

judder like rumble strips
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
norfolkfred

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

thanks chaps, I am struggling to fit my under dash fuse box at moment after sorting through the sunroof drain pipe on near side, when I get her running again I will remove the rear drums and have a look as this seems the most probable next check. please let me know how your investigations progress one of us must find this confusing rumble causing fault.

Post #167058421st Jun 2016 11:11 am
HughMartin

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I have just fixed my shuddering (I hope).

As mentioned in a previous post, I noticed my offside brake drum was getting very hot. I took the drum off and found nothing untoward (except a lot of dust) and still quite a bit of lining in the shoes. Put it all back together again and, and following Bodsy's Brake Bible, readjusted the shoes. The only problem I had was my torque wrench doesn't go down to the 6nm required for the hex socket adjuster and I think I tightened it too much because when I took the car out for a test drive, the shuddering was worse and the drum was very hot. I redid the adjusting and only tightened the hex socket up very slightly and, hey presto, no shuddering and not hot drums.

Post #167229224th Jun 2016 3:07 pm
norfolkfred

hi Hugh, many thanks for your post and really good news on yours. I have finally got my truck back together now following the ingress of water through the sunroof drain pipe so tomorrow I will get the drums off and do the checks as you did. fingers crossed and I will report back in the next few days.
thanks again.

Post #167233124th Jun 2016 4:34 pm
HughMartin

If you can establish which brake is binding by checking if one is running hot, you should get away with just resetting the adjustment. It would save you having to remove the calliper and disk. To adjust, all you need is to remove the wheel and the small plastic cap to give you access to the adjusters. The only reason I took the disk off was because I was expecting to see a damaged shoe assembly. Good luck with yours.

Post #167233924th Jun 2016 4:53 pm
norfolkfred

hi Hugh, dead right stripped both sides and the near side shoe had partly broken up as the bits of shoe had gone round and trapped between the drum and shoes that was the judder.......the lever that the handbrake cable pulls on was seized and I can imagine that might have been the start of the shoes breaking up. new shoes obtained and the battle to put back together commenced. off side now assembled near side to be done tomorrow I followed bodsys bible and many thanks to him but what a real pain and over complicated design, designers should be made to own repair and bleed like we all must do. I think this brake fault is at the bottom of many judder a on the disco 3 and perhaps the gearbox flush etc wasn't necessary, but worth doing at 115k anyway.
thanks again.

Post #167274025th Jun 2016 4:56 pm
HughMartin

Well Done Fred. It's a bitch isn't it. I was lucky as I didn't have to replace my shoes this time but having done it before on my last D3, I remember it stretching my cussing skills.

Post #167278425th Jun 2016 6:15 pm
HughMartin

B*gg*r. Vibration back with a vengeance. Had to put the EPB into "mounting" mode with my IID tool to get home. Onto Advanced Factors for a set of shoes. Hope it's not the disc itself. Will swop the discs over when I put on the new shoes.

Post #167358827th Jun 2016 11:59 am
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

I thought mine had gone....but sitting at a steady 75 on the A1 today,it decided randomly to start vibrating....continued doing it for perhaps 1-2 miles,then disappeared again.....doing my head in....
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #167364027th Jun 2016 3:09 pm
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Ok,I now have the screech of death,the EPB has locked on and won't release with the emergency release
As I'm sitting waiting for the AA,and don't believe in coincidences, it would appear my issues are also indeed linked to the EPB Censored
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #167418028th Jun 2016 3:50 pm
HughMartin

New EPB shoes fitted and rear disks swapped over. Job went ok except a bit puzzled about an extra spring which is not mention in Bodsy's Bible. It seems to be fitted to some D4s. I hope I have fitted them correctly. If anyone has any knowledge of this spring, could you have a look at my thread here http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic147264.html

Also, I had extreme difficulty getting the car to go into Bedding In mode. I tried engine on, engine off, hard reset, cleared faults, and any other combination I could think of. Eventually it went into Beding In mode but I don't know what I did differently to do it.

Hope that's the end of the judder.

Post #167528230th Jun 2016 6:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >