Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Injector Pump HPFP?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

2290 normally causes an ESF to be displayed, which in turn shuts the engine down to limp mode...

Unless its just a momentary glitch, but if thats your fault, I dont know. I would have though it would still brick itself, and shut down...
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #82007623rd Jul 2011 8:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
John Fair

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Disco_Mikey wrote:
Its not injectors. They are just guessing now Rolling Eyes

EDIT: And an expensive guess at that

I think the same! It has in fact done this from new and only ever once at a time about every 9 months. This stopped when the battery was thought to be cause at about 2 years. Never did it again (18 months+)until Italy trip and now it's random but very very regular.

Post #82009223rd Jul 2011 8:43 pm
anglefire

England 

If hte filter hasn't been changed recently, then it could be low pressure pump, or anything that Micky has already said (Except HP Pump!) Unless it wasn't changed properly.

Don't want to unduly worry you - but I had my symptoms looked at by LR technical - who diagnosed the HP pump - apparently it is possible, the old pump could have been breaking up, leaving bits of metal in the fuel lines and ultimately injectors I guess. They did suggest that the lines should be cleaned out.

But AFAIK, mine was just changed - though they also previously changed the MAP sensor, EGR valves, and significantly the HP pressure control valve - the latter did improve things, though it then hunted until the hP pump was changed.

Now I did think the control valve was part of the HP pump - so in theory yours has been changed - but perhaps Micky or Packingstrips could confirm?
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #82012323rd Jul 2011 9:25 pm
Disco_Mikey

As far as I am aware, the pressure control valve (PCV) is part of the pump, at least on 05-06 MY's...

Had a car that I replaced the HPFP on, and it came back a few months later with P2288, which is the opposite of your fault, Injector pressure too high. Turns out there was a dodgy batch of pumps, all with the same faulty PCV, and each time the HPFP was replaced under parts warranty...

Though it may be different on 07>on MY's...
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #82013823rd Jul 2011 9:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
John Fair

I have now changed the main battery and it is still faulting. Once today. What is the sensor on the front end of the passenger side fuel rail?

Post #82024824th Jul 2011 6:29 pm
John Fair

With regards to changing injectors I noticed that when they were all changed on recall it only says to clear the pipes. It is my opinion that the fuel pressure is not significantly higher than the old pump. The old pump being 2300-2400 and the new one seems to fluctuate at 2300-2700. I would expect a new pump to have an increase due to new tolerances. I do not know the working parameters of how low it could go before it was considered worn? These are figures at idle. I shall drop the pipes off it and see if any debris is evident. Do keep on with the suggestions.
Thanks

Post #82025324th Jul 2011 6:39 pm
Disco_Mikey

John Fair wrote:
What is the sensor on the front end of the passenger side fuel rail?

Rail pressure sensor Thumbs Up Cant remember if there is 1 per side on EU4 models, or just a single sensor, same as early EU3's...

John Fair wrote:
With regards to changing injectors I noticed that when they were all changed on recall

I dont ever remember there being a recall on changing all injectors Confused

There was a TSB released with regards to correct repairs of a mis-fuelled vehicle. Has that been done before?
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #82027524th Jul 2011 9:14 pm
johnboy3

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi sounds to me as you need to go back to basics i.e. throttle pedal disconnect the plug, check for corrosion ' all the connnectors. All time comsuming work but without spending money at wild guesses.

Post #82028224th Jul 2011 10:01 pm
John Fair

Disco_Mikey wrote:
John Fair wrote:
What is the sensor on the front end of the passenger side fuel rail?

Rail pressure sensor Thumbs Up Cant remember if there is 1 per side on EU4 models, or just a single sensor, same as early EU3's...

John Fair wrote:
With regards to changing injectors I noticed that when they were all changed on recall

I dont ever remember there being a recall on changing all injectors Confused

There was a TSB released with regards to correct repairs of a mis-fuelled vehicle. Has that been done before?

Sorry ,fat fingers, i was refering to the hpfp recall not the injectors. i often post from my phone and it goes off the screen before i can check what i have written Embarassed

Post #82038425th Jul 2011 1:21 pm
John Fair

The middle plastic fuel pipe that runs from the filter forwards is wet. As yet I cannot see why. Is this the flow or return? I have seen it wet after the last lr service but it stopped with a bit of a pipe waggle ( technical fix). I know the thinner bottom pipe is the webasto. I have the fuel rails off at present checking for debris so shall have a proper look at the plastic pipes later perhaps tomorrow. Have just cleaned them off at the moment to find the wet bit when I'm ready.

Post #82046525th Jul 2011 7:50 pm
John Fair

Day two of the big health check! The fuel rails have all been off and cleared through but to be honest, nothing to see, even in a White sample bottle. Back to the fuel lines by the filter and the drip is the push on connector that is on the outside of the filter pushing in from the drivers side sill at the top.The highest pipe on the chassis run of three. This is a newer type twist on filter cartridge. Can anyone tell me if this is flow or return as I don't want to power up yet. The pipe has not been pushed all the way home for some time as the retaining rim is visible with road grime on it. It is now cleaned and pushed all the way home with a click. Can only think this has been left loose when the tank was removed by lr but I will never know.

Post #82078726th Jul 2011 6:53 pm
John Fair

Might be getting somewhere now??? After stripping the injector rails and dropping the tank for a look see, the only thing I found for sure was a loose pipe at the filter. The car now still faults but with a different code from the normal P2290 to a new and improved P0087. Both are low fuel rail pressure but there must be some kind of change in the way they are both read. Can anyone tell me the difference between the two?

Post #82132028th Jul 2011 5:46 pm
steve the magpie

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3
HI JOHN

pete at bas svs as had my disco in and had the tank off and found the pick up pipe covered in what looked like black silicone which i found out is a funguss from rape seed oil from bio fuel hgv vehicles suffer from it so dosed the tank with a chemical called eclipse shock dose by millers oils "dont no if for sale to the public" this will clear the funguss up i didnt run the car on bio for long but once in the tank the seed is there so to say prob 2 tank fulls fingers crossed this as cured the fault
 always up to somert usualy no good acording to swmbo  
Post #82133028th Jul 2011 6:23 pm
John Fair

Update- The tank has come off again last w/e as i had a bit spare time. This time round i removed the pump from within the tank and while the filter was not blocked or exceptionally dirty it did have some aluminium swarf on the outside of it( the filter is a white cotton type but has a thimble sized open mesh part on it that looks to by pass the material part? Shall look closer when i scrap it). I dont suppose i will ever really know where this has come from but IMOA it looks to big to be from the HPFP as swarf that big would have been a catastrophic failure and while i dont know what the impellors in the HPFP are made from i would be very surprised if it was aluminium? The swarf was larger like the sort you would get if you ran a domestic drill through a sheet. The tank was flushed and the pump put back in but no change. After speaking to Pete Bell i have now ordered a new pump for in the tank as damage may have been caused internally....... to be continued..... Rolling with laughter

Post #8223632nd Aug 2011 9:54 am
steve the magpie

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3
WELL JOHN

pete deffo found a load of s Censored t in my f,tank saw the pics lol the in tank pump runs a lot better cant here it now . is your pump loud on start up mine deffo was had it to tin tent and back over 140 mile ran spot on so got every thing crossed all ok now Very Happy good luck with your pump keep us up dated Thumbs Up
 always up to somert usualy no good acording to swmbo  
Post #8228093rd Aug 2011 6:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >