Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Help! No brake lights and HDC fault - Fixed!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
jnoshea

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Help! No brake lights and HDC fault - Fixed!

Hi Guys,

My HDC system fault - special programs not available - suspension lowering problem has just gone from being intermittent to every time I touch the brake pedal. This happens when the engine is running or off, and no brake lights come on when I press the pedal - not the high level one or the main ones. All the other rear lights are working fine.

We drove a long way on Saturday and it only happened once. Sunday it didn't happen at all. Yesterday Vicky drove it on two short journeys - the first nothing, then on the second the fault happened twice. Last night I started it up to find out what the problem was and it didn't do it the first few times I pressed the brake pedal, then every time - and now no brake lights.

Has anyone else experienced this and knows how to fix it?

Cheers
James

Last edited by jnoshea on 10th Mar 2010 10:31 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #6176899th Mar 2010 8:56 pm
roverdrive

England 

Sounds like the old brake light bulb problem.
Change both bulbs and see how it goes.
Curiously I had problems with the left hand side bulb blowing all the time, but never got the other problems that are well documented on the site. The problem I belive is down to how some of the lams are constructed. If the brake filament blows it can short out and cause the problems you have specified.

Post #6177049th Mar 2010 9:27 pm
jnoshea

I thought about the brake light bulbs, but up until now all the brake lights have been working fine, its only since yesterday that none of them work. Since this includes the high level one, I can't see how they could have all blown...unless one was on its way out, which eventually blew and has shut down the whole brake light circuit. Does this make sense? Surely they wouldn't build it that way Rolling Eyes

Searching on here about this error sequence is really difficult because there are so many things it could be. I just found a post that suggested it could be the brake switch. This makes some sense since it could be that it was working intermittently and causing the fault, and then yesterday finally stopped working alltogether. Does anyone know how easy it is to change the brake light switch? Are there any guides on here for how to do it? Big Cry

Cheers
James

Post #6177199th Mar 2010 9:38 pm
Q86ARR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Manual Bali BlueDiscovery 4

I've replaced brake pedal switches in the past. Remove the lower dash trim (x2 phillips screws) and then the switch just twists in and out!

Post #6177709th Mar 2010 10:29 pm
jnoshea

Ahh, sounds like something I could do relatively quickly then. Thanks. I'll give it a try tomorrow and see if I can see any signs of damage. It's my best idea at the moment. Of course, as soon as my Faultmate FCR arrives I can plug it in and see if the car can shed some light on its own problem. But until then, I'm pinning my hopes on the brake light switch.

Post #6177789th Mar 2010 10:34 pm
jnoshea

So Vicky encouraged me to get up early on go and try to fix the car this morning. So I removed the brake light switch. This is easy to do. Simply twist it and it comes out of the holder as suggested by Q86ARR, then remove the connector. I found this was much easier with the upper panel removed as well as the pedal cover so I could get a good view, especially when refitting.

When I tested the switch in the house it appeared to do nothing - ah ah - I didn't know this but it doesn't work off the car because as you twist it unlocks the pusher from the mechanism inside so it no longer pushes the contacts when pressed. Anyway, there was some build up of carbon on the contacts so I cleaned them all, and tested the switch (you can simulate it being on the car by twisting the lugs on the top, but remember that in order to release it again into the mounting position you will have to take the switch apart again so perhaps not worth doing). Refitted to the car and problem has gone. And now I love my car again Very Happy

..ohh, and my brake lights work now too of course.

Post #61796010th Mar 2010 10:37 am
mig31

Spain 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hello guys,

I wanted to thank you personally (once again) for this wonderful forum and in particular for this post.
I'm in Italy, 1000km from home. Heading back to Barcelona tomorrow, kids start school on monday....
...so Murphy and his great law decide that it's about time to come and say hi.

Last night at around 18:00, I come off the motorway and I got a lovely christmas tree to welcome me. HDC system fault - special programs not available - suspension lowering.
Get to my destination, stop the car, restart it....and all clear!
To cut a long story short, in the past 18 hours it becomes a constant problem and I'm planning my 1000km trip with lowered suspension (and whatever it comes next....I start to think).

At around 18:00 this eve I read this post and look at the photos that nek17 posted.
I go to the car, start it and nothing happens....touch the brake pedal and all hell break loose.

So it's basically confirmed!
18:00 I started reading this post, by 18:30 everything was back in place, switch had been cleaned and no trace of any fault anywhere.

30 minutes, including reading the post and a 5 min test drive.

I can't thank you enough. It saved me 11 hours of motorway on lowered suspension, a visit to my stealer and quite a bit of cash (I'm sure).

The knowledge in this place is amazing!

Can't thank you enough, so the least I can do (just done it!!!) is give a small donation to the site.
Best money ever spent!

Post #8799786th Jan 2012 9:43 pm
dragonfly28

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I'd only had my D3 4 days when my nightmare came true: "Transmission fault" on start-up. Suspecting (hoping?) even I'm not that unlucky, I turned it off, waited a few seconds and tried again. No fault...

I found several threads here relating to brake light switch and/or battery, so I made an effort over the next few days to avoid touching the brake pedal until the system checks were complete, and it's been pretty much OK.

However, it wasn't to be so easily beaten, and yesterday the fault remained on at my second attempt plus the parking brake (which I don't engage on my drive as it's an auto left in P) was on and declined to release.

Another look on here uncovered this thread, and instead of buying a new brake switch as I'd planned following another thread, I followed the instructions above and opened it up. AS predicted, there was a fair bit of carbon deposit, but all cleaned up I've been using it today without any issues. Fingers crossed it's sorted.

Thanks for some great info and pix chaps Thumbs Up

Last edited by dragonfly28 on 14th Feb 2012 8:44 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #89673013th Feb 2012 5:48 pm
mig31

Never had any more problems since I cleaned it on jan 6th....

It looks like a simple fix...and one that works!!!!

Post #89692914th Feb 2012 1:11 am
dragonfly28

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

dragonfly28 wrote:
I've been using it today without any issues. Fingers crossed it's sorted.

It appears I spoke too soon... Crying or Very sad

Post #89713714th Feb 2012 6:24 pm
mig31

Sorry to hear about that....

....now you'll have to search the forum again and look for the next step!!

Hope you get it sorted soon

btw. sorry but I don't know what the next step would be.....I got lucky with step 1

Post #89714514th Feb 2012 6:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >