Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Electrical Relay Fault, can the wizards on here help please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
lancsamb

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Electrical Relay Fault, can the wizards on here help please

Today i was over the moon with the help of the guys I located the faulty relay for my HEVAC fan, to test it was faulty i used the one from the headlght washers to prove it was faulty. I then went off to Maplics bought a new realy for the HEVAC and it worked straight away. I then went to put the headlight washer relay back into its slot and noticed that went in a bit to easily as all the other relays have a good fit. Also they take quite a pull to get out but not the headlight washer one. It comes out really easily, and guess what the headlight washer no longer works. Any ideas guys. I am wondering whne i pushed it back into the slots it may have pushed the connetors inside the unit backwards , is that possible if they had not been fitted correctly at the factory..
 Landrover Discovery 3 TDV6 S 7 seat Automatic
Zambezi Silver my second love 

Post #89642812th Feb 2012 9:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MikeS2005

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
check

Hi
Check the fuses first as you might have touched something as you pulled the relay out, there is a possibility that you could have pushed the terminal back in the fuse box if its not been fully seated they can come out but it is rare worst scenario is you might have to get the fuse box out and push it back in.
If its under the bonnet then its easy enough but if its in behind the glovebox then thats a bit more complicated
cheers

Post #89642912th Feb 2012 10:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lancsamb

its just all the other relays are really tight to get out and this one is really easy, still will check the fuse but the car was asleep when i pulled it out so it should be fine shouldnt it ??

Post #89643612th Feb 2012 10:13 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

lancsamb

You know the headlamp washers only work with the lights on and I think every 5th cycle of the windscreen washers..?

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #89645212th Feb 2012 10:36 pm
lancsamb

yes i read that, this evening drove over to Blackburn to watch the ice hockey and tried it many times going and coming back but nothing.

Post #89647012th Feb 2012 10:59 pm
Flack

Read This just some info about the system

Head Lamp Wash Only (No Wipe Function)

The headlamp washers are only active when the headlamps and ignition are switched on. If the washer reservoir fluid
level becomes low, the instrument cluster sends a message, via the CAN bus, to the CJB, which suspends headlamp
wash operation to preserve washer fluid in the reservoir.
With the ignition and lights on, headlamp wash is activated on the first operation of the wiper column control switch in the
wash/wipe position. The CJB then suspends headlamp wash activation for the next 10 minutes and four operations of the
wash/wipe switch.
The CJB monitors the operation of the wash/wipe switch and maintains a counter to restrict headlamp washer operation
to every fourth operation of the wash/wipe switch in conjunction with a 10 minute timer. The timer prevents a second
operation of the headlamp washers within a 10 minute period. Should the washer switch be activated for more than four
programmed wipe requests during the 10 minute period, the headlamp washer will remain disabled. Only the next
consecutive programmed wipe request, after the 10 timer has expired, will the headlamp washers be enabled. The
counter and timer are reset when the ignition is switched off.
When headlamp wash is active, the CJB energises the washer pump twice per cycle. The headlamp washer pump is
powered for a 0.5 second period.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #89648912th Feb 2012 11:34 pm
lancsamb

Yes I did read that earlier and tried every option menetioned but to no avail, I am really sure its the relay as it worked ok before i removed it to test the HEVAC so will have to look next weekend at the box to see where the connectors are

Post #89650413th Feb 2012 12:07 am
lancsamb

I dont believe it !!!!!

I only put the relay into one of the slots that is not used, no wonder the head lamp washers did not work. I looked again tonight and realised I placed it on the right side and it should have been placed in the left side, looked at the pictures. I swopped it and now all works as they should . You live and learn by your mistakes dont you, Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Post #89691713th Feb 2012 11:43 pm
Flack

Its the best learning process as long as it does not cost much.. we have all been there..glad you sorted it...

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #89692514th Feb 2012 12:36 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Reading the thread I thought the worst but I see it has a happy ending. I hope your first D3 project hasn't put you off!
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #89716114th Feb 2012 7:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >