Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Groaning Noise when setting off - Front offside area
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
100wheeler

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4
Groaning Noise when setting off - Front offside area

Ok, bit of a long post coming so please bear with me.....

Bought a D4 3.0 TDV6 GS MY10 privately about 4 weeks ago. Car appears in great condition and has only done 20k miles over 3 years. Still in original manuf warranty for 2 more weeks(!) so as you can imagine I've been quite keen to 'find' any issues now and get resolved before the warranty stops. In the last few weeks I've come to notice a slight 'groaning/moaning' noise (don't know how else to describe it!) in the area of the front O/S wheel when I set off from standstill and hit somewhere between 1500 and 2000 rpm (probably only about 10 MPH). After this the noise seems to go away. I think it might be slightly worse when cold and also under load (say going up a hill). Noise is definitely not there when parked and rev the engine - all perfectly smooth....

So, what I hear is a moaning sound when setting off at low speed between 1500 and 2000 rpm. After that it seems to disappear. Since it comes and then goes I can only think it is a vibration/resonance of some sort but don't know where it could be coming from. Car went into our main dealer for annual service and brake fluid change last week so I got a techie to come out with me on a quick drive to verify that I wasn't imagining things! He confirmed that he could hear 'something' and wrote his description on a job card but when I went to collect their conclusion was it was due to tyres (should have said, last owner fitted General Grabber AT's which still have plenty of life left in them). My gut reaction was that at higher speeds there might be an impact but not at the crawling speed that I demonstrated the noise at.
They wanted me to come back today to try 'normal' road going wheels so I was back there first thing this morning. Before they started the swap out it occurred to me that it would make more sense for me to drive an 'identical' 6speed car with road tyres and see what I could hear before changing my wheels. So they found a 60 plate 3.0 XS with about 30k on the clock. I took it for a drive with a techie and guess what? Immediately I started to hear a 'similar' noise under the same driving conditions. This was a bit of a relief for me Smile as it seemed to indicate that this was 'normal' or at least inherent in the design(??)
Got back to the dealership and asked the techie to drive my car - he said the noise was a bit more prominent on mine but still just 'what the car does'. So I felt quite relaxed about things and decided that no further action was needed.
Trouble is that later in the day when driving again the noise was still bugging me and I found myself under the engine trying to look for bits that might vibrate? Embarassed

So my paranoia (and fear of a future big bill) has led me down the following thought process:

- Gearbox/transfer unit: Noise seems to be much too far forward for these.
- Front diff: Noise is definitely O/S. In fact when I travel as a front passenger (diff beneath footwell) I can't hear it anymore, only when sitting in drivers seat.
- O/S wheel bearing: Checked for at dealership, nothing found. Told noise would be far more severe and would not disappear with revs.

Run out of other ideas. Could it be something to do with the secondary turbo? (no smoking from exhaust at all). Not necessarily the turbo itself but some of the gubbins around it??

If it is genuinely just what the car does then I will just accept it and move on - I love it in all other ways. But if I can work out that there is a problem (even if it is present on the other car I tested too) then I want to try to solve whilst still in warranty.

I have scoured this excellent forum for similar problems and have found a few with similarities but nothing identical and no confirmed solution.

Any ideas from you knowledgable chaps? Anyone else experience this with their car? (Perhaps someone with the 6 speed 3.0 auto could try a slow acceleration from standstill to 200 rpm and listen out) Anything to worry about?

If you've got this far with my posting then I thank you for your patience!!

Look forward to hearing any responses.

Thanks in advance,

Paul Thumbs Up

Post #109639629th Apr 2013 9:57 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

If it is still under warranty get it into dealers and get it registered before the warranty runs out that way it is on record.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #109640429th Apr 2013 10:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
100wheeler

Thanks Russell. As I said, it has already been in the dealers last week (and today) but no fault found although they will have a record of the visits. Not sure what protection this gives me if I subsequently get a failure outside of warranty(?) I guess I might get some goodwill but I don't think LR would have a liability to me.

Thinking about buying the extended warranty but not decided yet...

Cheers,

Paul

Post #109642029th Apr 2013 10:25 pm
Duffs

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I have driven over 50k miles in 3.0 GS D4s and can't say I have experienced this- might be I just don't hear it Rolling Eyes Russell is spot on, get it logged as fault / concern when it is still in warranty. I know why you want it right, good luck Thumbs Up
 D4 3.0 SDV6 GS 13
D4 3.0 SDV6 GS 09-13
D3 2.7 TDV6 GS 07-09 

Post #109642329th Apr 2013 10:29 pm
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

i've got exactly the same issue with my D3 G4 running MTR's... Booked it into main dealer under the warranty as i was adamant it is the front offside wheel bearing just starting to grumble... They refused to do it saying it was my tyres... Their argument was that it disappears with normal road tyres fitted and wanted me to take it out for a test drive with the normal wheels fitted... With mine you can feel it at very low speeds through the steering wheel but it disappears over 10 mph...

I know its not the tyres specifically as they were brand new and i watched the tyre fitter balance them perfectly...

I am also at a loss but still believe it is the wheel bearing running slightly out of true possibly because the tyres are placing a different load upon them... Also frustrated as every time i drive it i can feel / hear it!

Post #109644529th Apr 2013 11:10 pm
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

100wheeler wrote:
no fault found although they will have a record of the visits. Not sure what protection this gives me if I subsequently get a failure outside of warranty(?)

I think it gives you a fighting chance at least....I had a problem with a Volvo "surging" at speed on the motorway....booked in (during warranty period) and they couldn't find anything...4 weeks later (by then,out of warranty) it went in for a routine service,so mentioned it again.They found the Mass Air Filter was knackered,but refused to replace it is it was out of warranty.
Spoke to the Head of the Dealership,and he said they would contact Vlovo UK if I wanted,but he thought that was a waste of time,as they rarely took the side of the customer Rolling Eyes ....anyway the upshot was Volvo UK told them to replace it under warranty,as I had reported it a short time previously and it wasn't my fault they only found it at the 2nd time of asking..... Thumbs Up
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #109650230th Apr 2013 7:13 am
100wheeler

Farmer Chalk wrote:
i've got exactly the same issue with my D3 G4 running MTR's... Booked it into main dealer under the warranty as i was adamant it is the front offside wheel bearing just starting to grumble... They refused to do it saying it was my tyres... Their argument was that it disappears with normal road tyres fitted and wanted me to take it out for a test drive with the normal wheels fitted... With mine you can feel it at very low speeds through the steering wheel but it disappears over 10 mph...

I know its not the tyres specifically as they were brand new and i watched the tyre fitter balance them perfectly...

I am also at a loss but still believe it is the wheel bearing running slightly out of true possibly because the tyres are placing a different load upon them... Also frustrated as every time i drive it i can feel / hear it!

Yes this does sound similar and same dealer response too! But does it go away with road going tyres? As per my post I took out a dealer 60 plate D4 yesterday (with road going tyres) and heard a similar noise (maybe not quite as prominent) so ruled out the tyre diagnosis. At the time I considered if both cars sounded the same then it was not a fault but now I'm wondering whether both could have the same fault!!!

Regarding the wheel bearing - again I've been thinking the same way as you but the thing that puts me off the scent is that I think it unlikely that a wheel bearing would only cause trouble at 0-10mph and then the noise disappear. I may be wrong but would expect more noise as the car speeds up and steering starts turning etc. also the pitch of the sound would change wouldn't it? Mine certainly doesn't.

Anyway hope someone will come along with some fresh ideas soon!

Cheers,

Paul Thumbs Up

Post #109652130th Apr 2013 7:54 am
100wheeler

euangibson wrote:
100wheeler wrote:
no fault found although they will have a record of the visits. Not sure what protection this gives me if I subsequently get a failure outside of warranty(?)

I think it gives you a fighting chance at least....I had a problem with a Volvo "surging" at speed on the motorway....booked in (during warranty period) and they couldn't find anything...4 weeks later (by then,out of warranty) it went in for a routine service,so mentioned it again.They found the Mass Air Filter was knackered,but refused to replace it is it was out of warranty.
Spoke to the Head of the Dealership,and he said they would contact Vlovo UK if I wanted,but he thought that was a waste of time,as they rarely took the side of the customer Rolling Eyes ....anyway the upshot was Volvo UK told them to replace it under warranty,as I had reported it a short time previously and it wasn't my fault they only found it at the 2nd time of asking..... Thumbs Up

Yes - wise words, thank you Thumbs Up

Post #109652330th Apr 2013 7:55 am
100wheeler

Well I thought I'd post and update and some good news!

Took the car to the dealership yesterday to reiterate my frustration with the noise I was hearing and since my manf warranty was running out in 2 days time I stressed the urgency.....

Went for another drive with a techie on the motorway and demonstrated the noise, this time at 60MPH. Thankfully he confirmed the noise and immediately diagnosed OSF wheel bearing. Car stayed with the dealership for fitting of new bearing and I picked up this morning. Guess what? All noises at any speed have gone!! Razz

So just to recap on this in case it helps others:

- noise was present at crawling speed (0 - 10 MPH)
- Also noticeable at 50 - 60 MPH but above this seemed to be far less prominent.
- Car checked by dealership with no fault found (inc check of bearing)
- car passed it's MOT a week later.
- No metallic/grinding sound.
- No change when turning left/right or accelerating/deccelerating (except at 0-10 MPH).
- Noise was perhaps a bit worse when the car was cold.

Bizzarre eh?

I'll now be waiting for the NSF bearing to go next (!) At least I know what it will sound like....

Thanks to all of you who took an interest in my problem. I hope that this may help someone else diagnose a similar fault in the future.

Cheers,

Paul Thumbs Up

Post #110163010th May 2013 2:12 pm
bobgolden

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I've had a similar noise from new which has slowly driven me nuts although it hasn't got noticably better or worse in the 13k miles from new. It only happens for the first 4-5 miles from cold (although not in very cold weather) and under gentle acceleration at first and heavier acceleration as the engine warms up. Nothing when it's cruising, turning, decelerating etc. . Dealers haven't been able to find anything as the engine temp has always been too warm so will have to make a special trip to Leeds to leave it overnight so they can try again.
 2010 MX-5 2.0 Sport Tech PRHT
2019 Suzuki Vitara AllGrip

Gone BMW X5 xDrive 30d M Sport (F15)
Gone Disco 4 HSE SD V6
Gone 2008 Jaguar XF 2.7TD Premium Luxury 

Post #110182410th May 2013 8:55 pm
ilron

Norway 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

Does it sound like this?
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/383406....09.29.mov

Post #110243712th May 2013 10:24 am
CUCO

Spain 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

ilron wrote:
Does it sound like this?
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/383406....09.29.mov

This sounds as if mud with grit could be messing at the front brakes...

Post #110248312th May 2013 11:59 am
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

ouch... no mine certainly did'nt .. that sounds like something is between the metal brake backplate and the disc ... possibly a stone or its been bent by going through water at speed.....

Mine was a lot more subtle and you could feel it particularly at very low speeds through the steering wheel.. as you go faster it gets drowned out by the MTR tyre roar!!

Post #110256412th May 2013 3:52 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >