Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Fully Comp Insurance for 17 year olds
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
SN

Fully Comp Insurance for 17 year olds

Since my lad passed his driving theory & hazard perception test today (well done Dan! Thumbs Up ) it has dawned on me that very soon he will want a car of his own - this will require ME to get him insured fully comp and one outcome of this (I believe) is that he will be able to drive on third party cover, other cars with owners permission. Obviously there's one owner and one car that concerns me here - me and my D3 Shocked - so my question is, has anyone got a view on whether the 'any other car third party' rule generally applies to fully comp insurance for 17 year olds? Neutral
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #26522427th Feb 2008 3:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CFB

United Kingdom 

A lot of insurance companies are withdrawing the right to drive other cars 3rd party Steve. You might find your D3 is safe Smile
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #26523027th Feb 2008 3:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I'm just about to go through the same pain Shocked My eldest is 17 next month, and is keen to learn to drive. He has even got himself a job to help pay.

I have agreed to buy a small car in which I can help him learn to drive, he will also be taking professional lessons. When (if) he passes his test, the said small car can be his car to use as and when he can afford to. I have been looking at Polo/Corsa/Saxo/Punto. There are loads for sale.

I was planning on insuring the car myself, with Tom as a named driver. I also intend to use this car in the short term as an alternative to the D3 for shorter journeys and commuting. I want to keep some miles off my car, and the price of fuel is frankly costing me a lot when compared to what I can claim back before the taxman gets me Evil or Very Mad

I would be interested in hearing how you get on Steve, as you are probably a few months ahead of me in the process.

Post #26523427th Feb 2008 3:29 pm
chesters

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

I am going through this now my son has passed his theory test and practical is coming up soon. To have him as a named driver on my wifes golf 1.9 TDi its and extra £1700. So its up for sale and are thinking of buying a VW Fox 1.2 Urban group 1 insurance and £115 road tax. For my wife and my son it's £950 fully comp protected with the Co-Op. If I am a second named driver it's another £400. So If I drive it i will use my Disco policy Third party only because it's not owned by me. You have to be careful as if it's a second or third car in the household, they automatically assume its his car. His mates have better quotes as they are only a one car household.

It's a nightmare.
 Arctic Frost Discovery 3 TDV6 SE, Active Rear Diff, Adaptive Head Lights, Tow Pack, Ebony Leather, Roof Rails, Mantec Guard. Tasmod Stainless Sill plates. Grabber AT's. Home made mud flaps. Side Steps back on until the next time.  
Post #26524927th Feb 2008 4:44 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I used to work in the insurance industry

Some now offer NCD on named drivers on your policy obviousley have to build this up in the same way and transfer it to their own car eventually.

If you ring them up they will asume since you and you wife have car the 3rd car is obvioulsy going to be your sons and may insist you insure it in your sons name.

They are quite within their right to not pay a claim if they have any belief the car has been bought for your son and insured in your/wifes name. (obviously different if your wife is changing cars to lower prem.)

I personally would advise to get your son a cheap car, insure it as cheap as possible (third party fire theft), this way he gets his no claims discount. also Look into things like the PASS PLUS test which could save you 5% and try local brokers aswell as large insurance companys (BTW The AA was voted the most expensive company in a recent article i read)

Check with the quote for your wife and son, they don't have it down as wife & husband its a trick they use to get the sale, when your documents come through you suddenly find you need to pay another £400 due to a spouse discount having to be removed due to your son been the 2nd driver

Keep away from cars that have been modified, also the popular cars like saxo, fiesta, corsa can have a higher rating due to there been more of them on the road, (more on road = more crashes = higher premiums)

Thumbs Up Thats my advices anyway I hope it helps Thumbs Up

edited: The driving other car section of a policy normally only applies to drivers over the age of 21, CHECK THE SMALL PRINT on this!!!!

Post #26525727th Feb 2008 5:12 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I had all this last year, I ended up with using my full comp, full NCB policy off my old MG and adding him to that - since then as he work and lives away 4 days a week, the insurance company has on my request named him as the main driver which helps. It is costing me £800 year on a 1.2 Punto

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #26529627th Feb 2008 6:42 pm
Alex E
Holy Bratwurst! 

why would you let your son or anyone drive a disco3 3rd party? if he had a mishap and wrote it off, it'd cost YOU a fortune to replace it. and lets face it if he could replace it you wouldn't be worrying about the cost of insurance. Wink
 I'm Powered by........Diesel Thud  
Post #26529927th Feb 2008 6:45 pm
bucksta

United Kingdom 
Insurance

Just recently passed my test, am 18 and my parents are now going through the process of buying a dico 3. With me going to uni in the next 6 months we have decided not to buy myself a new car but to get insured on the new landy Very Happy . We have checked with many insurers and have recieved quotes, the cheapest being £2k a per year fully comp with my parents being the main drivers. This i feel is pretty cheap to say that i will be able to drive a 2.7ltr £25k car! I reccomend that you just shop around and try and find the best deal, its worth it! Thumbs Up

Lloyd

Post #27988931st Mar 2008 11:05 am
SN

This is still rumbling on for me - we're now looking at a 1.0L 3-pot Corsa - seems to be around the £1500 mark for my lad as the main driver ... Neutral
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #27989331st Mar 2008 11:21 am
al cope

England 

Steve

been through this lately as well with my lad. Prices have gone up a lot since we started looking late last year. Then, a 1.1 206 was around a grand, now closer to 1500 quid, same on a 1.0 corsa.

As he's off to uni in Sept, we've decided to hold fire buying a car, as parking at most Uni's is either restricted/not safe/charged for. If he wants to drive, he'll have to go out in disguise in his mom's 1.4 Scenic Thumbs Up

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #27992331st Mar 2008 12:36 pm
discoagogo

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

In my experience you won't get the 3rd party only benefits on other vehicles on a fully comp policy until you are 25.
 2007 TDV6 XS Silver
Running with some <a>BioDiesel</a>
<a>4x4 Prejudice</a> 

Post #27992731st Mar 2008 12:56 pm
SN

Well Dan passed his test today Thumbs Up Where's the proud dad emoticon? Very Happy

SWMBO's insurance has now gone down by £100 Thumbs Up

Expensive weekend coming up.... Neutral
Post #2823374th Apr 2008 8:41 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Be strong SN, be strong..... Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #2823404th Apr 2008 8:45 pm
AVE
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Congratulations Dan Thumbs Up
 As you slide down the banister of life
may no splinters point your way

Disco XXV
RRS2 Autobiography Dynamic MY16
Discovery Sport HSE Lux MY17

Evoque HSE Dynamic MY16 (Gone)
RRS2 Autobiography Dynamic MY14 (Lovely car but preferred the Disco!)
Disco 3 Tdv6 HSE MY05 (owned for 11 years and now gone)
Range Rover Sport HSE MY11 (Gone)
Freelander2 SE (Gone but the most reliable car we've ever owned)
Disco 2 V8 (Gone) 

Post #2823414th Apr 2008 8:46 pm
BCP

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

17 year olds passing their tests Thumbs Up

Bad news is that this is when they are at most risk of an accident. The risk of crashing is exponential to the number of passengers carried.

I would say don't buy them a car, let them use the D3 if they need to use a vehicle otherwise take the train / bus. It is heartbreaking to read about the deaths of 17-24 year old males every single weekend. Common denominators are small car, mates in the car, after hours and excessive speed.

BCP

Post #2824364th Apr 2008 10:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >