DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Fuel gauge problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
TBC15

Oman 2008 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Unknown ColourLR3
Fuel gauge problem

Hi Folks

New to the forum, I’ve had Freelanders for years and now stepped up to a LR3.

Took the car on with fuel gauge reads empty and low fuel light on.

Ran diagnostics with icarsoft II and it came up with B1A76 FUEL SENDER 2 CURCUIT

With a full tank circuit 1 had a reported resistance of 800 Ω and circuit 2 has a reported resistance of 1023Ω.

Is circuit 2 the back sensor? Would sound most likely as the fwd sensor should have a resistance around about 798Ω with a full tank.

I hope it’s the back sensor as the forward one sounds a bit of a problem.

Regards

Post #18218712nd Jun 2017 4:49 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

More likely to be the wiring to the tank rather than the sender unit, so the fix tends to be easier.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #18219092nd Jun 2017 6:59 pm
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I am not sure if this will cause the same problem with a D3 as it did on my D4, but when my fuel gauge disappeared after a few hundred miles of driving without it (whilst waiting for the garage to fit me in), it started shutting the engine down.

The car assumes it is running out of fuel so does it to protect itself, you can restart, but you don't always get very far. In fact it cut out before I could even get off the filling station forecourt!
 Andy

Post #18219162nd Jun 2017 7:29 pm
mechtrev

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

don't worry too much as the gauge never reads full for long Laughing

Post #18219472nd Jun 2017 10:41 pm
Arthur-RSA

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3

Hi TBC15, Fellow Members,

I developed similar problem with Disco3 V8 SE two weeks ago, after my son drove in hilly & sandy conditions.
The problem only showed the next day, when he switched-on!

Having run diagnostics (I think Auto-Logic) it indicated "Fuel Sender 2 Circuit Fault"
RAVE manual of tank details, shows both "Front Fuel Level Sensor" & "Rear Fuel Level Sensor"
The former inside the tank; the latter outside the tank

If not a wiring problem, resolving problem with "Front" requires a tank replacement; whilst problem with "Rear" can be a replacement part. Unsure if latter requires tank to be removed to repair

I believe you are on the right track, given your resistance measurements taken

The Rave Manual gives the following Ω readings for (I must assume) functional Sensors:

Tank /Front Sensor/Rear Sensor
--------------------/----------------/----------------
Empty 51 75.5
Low Level Light 51 120
Half Full 294 280
Full 798 675

Given your reading of ".... circuit 2 has a reported resistance of 1023Ω" versus RAVE manual reading of 675 for a full tank, could be because this circuit is faulty!

DISCO3 Member "Rikc" had 'Empty Gauge" at switch-on, knowing well that there was ample fuel in the tank. This, after having worked on his brakes. His problem was easy to resolve (by Member "ROY_H"), as he had forgot to replace the Fuse for the Electronic Brake; the same Fuse is used for at least for one of the Fuel Sensors; if not both. (The Fuel Gauge will not work if one of the Fuel Sensors is faulty)
Member "Rashaw1968" has the same problem as we have, not knowing what Circuit matches what Fuel Level Sensor

I trust this helps!

If you can provide any advice as to how to go about testing the wiring to the Fuel Sensors, I would appreciate it tremendously, as I would prefer to start there, given that purchasing a Fuel Sensor costs about £90 Pounds here, that translates to some R1,500 in our currency. The refitting cost would likely be more, depending wjhether the Fuel Tank needs to be removed
If you know whether replacement of the rear Fuel Sensor requires the tank to be removed to remove & refit, that would also help a great deal!

Go well!

Post #18238407th Jun 2017 7:12 pm
Dave T

England 

I had erratic readings on my D3, I just replaced the whole tank with one from a scrapped car, very simple fix if the senders are faulty
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #18238447th Jun 2017 7:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Arthur-RSA

2006 Disco 3 V8 4.4 - "Fuel Sender/Sensor 2 Faulty"

Hi Folks (Guys & Gals)

I sent the post (below this one) in response to the problem TBC15 had - but so far no-one, including TBC15 - has responded to what sensor showing the fault, is what Tank sensor inside (Front and not replaceable) or Rear (replaceable).

Surely someone out there knows what-is-what!

Also, how simple or complex is it to test the wiring to the Fuel Tank to check if it is not perhaps just a wiring problem?

It may not be just a matter of testing for power, as apart from a Ground Wire - that connects to both "Fuel Gauge Sender Unit A" & "Fuel Gauge Sender Unit B"; the "A" Unit notes "Active", while the "B" Unit notes "Passive".

Trust to hear from someone soon!

Go Well!

Arthur-RSA
++++++++++++++
Hi TBC15, Fellow Members,

I developed similar problem with Disco3 V8 SE two weeks ago, after my son drove in hilly & sandy conditions.
The problem only showed the next day, when he switched-on!

Having run diagnostics (I think Auto-Logic) it indicated "Fuel Sender 2 Circuit Fault"
RAVE manual of tank details, shows both "Front Fuel Level Sensor" & "Rear Fuel Level Sensor"
The former inside the tank; the latter outside the tank

If not a wiring problem, resolving problem with "Front" requires a tank replacement; whilst problem with "Rear" can be a replacement part. Unsure if latter requires tank to be removed to repair

I believe you are on the right track, given your resistance measurements taken

The Rave Manual gives the following Ω readings for (I must assume) functional Sensors:

Tank /Front Sensor/Rear Sensor
--------------------/----------------/----------------
Empty 51 75.5
Low Level Light 51 120
Half Full 294 280
Full 798 675

Given your reading of ".... circuit 2 has a reported resistance of 1023Ω" versus RAVE manual reading of 675 for a full tank, could be because this circuit is faulty!

DISCO3 Member "Rikc" had 'Empty Gauge" at switch-on, knowing well that there was ample fuel in the tank. This, after having worked on his brakes. His problem was easy to resolve (by Member "ROY_H"), as he had forgot to replace the Fuse for the Electronic Brake; the same Fuse is used for at least for one of the Fuel Sensors; if not both. (The Fuel Gauge will not work if one of the Fuel Sensors is faulty)
Member "Rashaw1968" has the same problem as we have, not knowing what Circuit matches what Fuel Level Sensor

I trust this helps!

If you can provide any advice as to how to go about testing the wiring to the Fuel Sensors, I would appreciate it tremendously, as I would prefer to start there, given that purchasing a Fuel Sensor costs about £90 Pounds here, that translates to some R1,500 in our currency. The refitting cost would likely be more, depending wjhether the Fuel Tank needs to be removed
If you know whether replacement of the rear Fuel Sensor requires the tank to be removed to remove & refit, that would also help a great deal!

Go well!

Post #182583112th Jun 2017 5:06 pm
Dave T

England 

to replace sensors you have to remove the tank, is there not a scrapped car around somewhere, its easier to change the whole tank than mess about with a sensor?
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #182601113th Jun 2017 5:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Arthur-RSA

2006 Disco 3 V8 4.4 - "Fuel Sender/Sensor 2 Faulty"

Hi Dave T,
Thanks for the advice to rather replace Fuel Tank, than remove/replace tank to replace faulty Fuel Tank Sensors.
I will go this route, but just want to check wiring first, to exclude a possible wiring fault BEFORE REPLACING THE TANK- HENCE WOULD APPRECIATE ADVICE HOW TO TEST THE WIRING FOR THE TANK!

Go Well!
Arthur-RSA[/b]

Post #182863920th Jun 2017 8:38 am
robertofollia

Spain 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Dear all,
I also had the dreaded " B1A76 FUEL SENDER 2 CIRCUIT " fault in my V8 D3. and would be very grateful if you could shed some light on:
-Is it the front or rear sensor?
-If it's the front (I've got skinny arms, can I reach the front sensor dispensing with the costly tank replacement opiton?
-The front sensor is held in place by a kind of "pull strap" plus 2 locating pegs, hope to be able to refit in the right place (after all, somebody manages to squeeze that in the tank in the manufacturing process)
-HAs anybody taken this sensors apart to see what and where is the fault? I mean
-corrosion in the inner tank harness
-resistors dead (difficult, but could be, in theory this is kind of "magnetic-duh-duh-something which prevents wear from old-style sliding tracks)
-Or just the cheapo plastic float which becomes porous and sinks?
(I recall, even being off topic, the "low coolant warning" caused by a chepo float which became porous and sank)

I will perform a post mortem autopsy, but will have to wait some months. And will be exchanging both sensors, just in case, as it's not the prettiest job to do
Best regards
Robert
 Regards, Robert
Only a closed filling station can prevent me from reaching my destination
1992 Santana 88"SWB petrol
1995 RRClassic 300Tdi
1999 D2 V8 manual coiler
2004 D2 Td5... SOLD!
2006 D3 V8 SE 

Post #185629811th Sep 2017 9:38 am
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

When mine failed I removed the tank and opened it up - there was a broken wire to the rear sensor which I soldered back together and some heat shrink - all was okay. Make sure when putting the tank back in that you connect all hoses up correctly otherwise they leak. On mine, sensor 1 was front and sensor 2 was rear both inside the tank.

Post #185666612th Sep 2017 9:25 am
robertofollia

Spain 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Thank you so much, being then 2 the rear one seems it will be easier to sort out
Best regards
 Regards, Robert
Only a closed filling station can prevent me from reaching my destination
1992 Santana 88"SWB petrol
1995 RRClassic 300Tdi
1999 D2 V8 manual coiler
2004 D2 Td5... SOLD!
2006 D3 V8 SE 

Post #18649935th Oct 2017 6:57 am
Arthur-RSA

Fuel Gauge Problem - Disco 3

Hi Robert,
I refer to your post:
"Thank you so much, being then 2 the rear one seems it will be easier to sort out
Best regards"

I am registered as Arthur-RSA and posted the same problem I experienced a few months ago!
In my case, the Auto-Logic Diagnostics indicated along the following:
...Fuel Sender 2 Fault
...Fuel Sender 2 Circuit Fault

I was also told that Sender 2 was the REAR Sensor & went and bought this sensor.

When the Disco3 went in for repair, they told me that it was the FRONT Sensor!
This sensor can only be replaced by someone with long, thin arms (due to the location inside the tank of this sensor)

Immediately, after the repair was done and the Fuel Gauge light no longer showed empty, the car slowed-down quite dramatically, when "under load " - either when trying to accelerate when going uphill or when towing a trailer.

The pump-component of the Pump Housing was now proven faulty as the Diagnostics showed "Running Lean". This problem "under load" was not prevalent before the repair, as I had used the vehicle under those "under load"conditions, for some 4-months, before deciding to rather fix the Fuel Gauge problem, being the eventually, diagnosed "Front Sensor".

Our guys have done a number of "Front Sensor" replacements, without having to replace the tank, as indicated on the Disco3 Forum posts!

Trust this will help

Go Well!

Arthur-RSA

Post #186882815th Oct 2017 8:36 pm
bqproduction

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

hi
my discovery 3 fuel gauge shows empty but is full, what can be the problem

Post #19225255th Mar 2018 8:41 am
Arthur-RSA

Fuel Gauge Problem - Disco 3

Hi,
Refer the Reply that follows, being what I posted June 2017.
Thanks & good luck, Arthur
p.s. My problem was resolved by L&R Service Centre Milnerton Tel 021-552-1979

Post #19225605th Mar 2018 11:16 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >