Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Front Suspension wear - keep an eye on your bushings
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3
Front Suspension wear - keep an eye on your bushings

Hello, I am not a fearmonger thumping on a drum warning everyone that the sky is falling. However, there have been a few posts recently about "clunking noises" going unsuccessfully diagnosed, so I thought I would post my experiences here. Perhaps they will help someone.

I have experienced a "knocking" sound from somewhere under the front end for a while now. It only occurs on smallish bumps that cause the wheel to "chatter". This includes dirt roads, sand dunes, rough pavement, etc...

The sound has gradually gotten worse. I was able to pinpoint the trigger events, but not the source. Whenever my front right tire struck a bump that pushed the wheel up (and slightly back due to forward motion), I would hear the rattle sound. When hoisted on a rack, nothing appeared to be loose. We tapped, wiggled, pulled and prodded on everything, noticed a very slight looseness to the anti-sway bar fitting, but nothing was obvious as to the source of noise.

I then replaced my springs (to accomplish a lift, not due to wear or anything), and again, nothing appeared loose, and the shocks seemed okay (one suspect cause was faulty valving in the shock), but the sound persisted, and continued to worsen.

Finally, a seasoned mechanic kicked the tire in frustration. The tire moved! Quite a bit actually. If you stand in front of the bumper facing the car and kick the tread of the tire (driving it towards the rear), the tire would move about a fair amount. I don't know how much is normal or should be expected, but I was surprised how much it did move considering it was just a foot kick with the weight of the car still on the tire.

We did it again while laying under the car, and noticed that the rear bushing of the lower control arm was allowing excessive movement when the tire was kicked. Exactly the same type of movement that would occur when hitting a small bump. The knocking sounds seemed to be coming from this control arm connection.

The left side of the car was not as bad, but in the eyes of my mechanic, is likely to deteriorate soon.

I am having my local dealer replace these bushings today, under warranty. The bushings themselves are inexpensive ($40 USD, each), but the labor is a bit involved, so I'm glad it's under warranty!

I will find out tomorrow if that solved my problem, but by all indications, it should do the trick.

So keep an eye on your bushings, I think they are all the same, air or coil suspended. As I only have about 13,000 miles on my truck, I am inclined to think this is an oddity, and not something most people should concern themselves with. A great many of you have far more miles than I, and have had no problems.

Cheers,

Nathan
www.nextstepdesigns.com Arrow

Post #8731922nd Sep 2006 1:59 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

There is a TSB for knocking steering
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic3134.ht...ring+knock
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #8732022nd Sep 2006 2:31 am
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

Hmmm... thanks for that link, must have missed that thread earlier.

However, I don't think I'm experiencing quite the same problem. My knocking/rattle noise is not transmitted through the steering wheel, but through the chassis as a whole, and is clearly dependant on what the left front wheel is doing (easily demonstrated by riding over a speed bump hitting only one side at a time).

It would be interesting to find out of my dealer fixed this steering knock anyway though. I think I've felt it to a minor effect on rippled sand dunes, but it's hard to say for sure.

Post #8732322nd Sep 2006 4:18 am
Jamo

Australia 

Sorry to hear that all you can find are loose bushes Nathan! Wink
But then, you do live in California!
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #8732422nd Sep 2006 5:46 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

As the body was off my chassis for the engine change. My dealer gave everything a once over. Found that the rear anti roll bar bushes had a bit of wear in them so they have been changed.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #8735222nd Sep 2006 9:31 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >