Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Follow on for poor seats in S models
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
al cope

England 
Follow on for poor seats in S models

There is a thread running about seat and headrest design, and it sounds like a few of us have complained individually about this to our supplying dealers to no avail.

My issue, along with a growing band of folks is the lack of front edge support (no adjustment) on the drivers seat for tall Censored like me.

I'm prepared to pen a tone directly to LR on this topic, but would like to add numbers to it, so if this is your issue too, drop me a PM with your name, model, year, and permission to add your name to my letter.

OK

Alan
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #10968013th Dec 2006 7:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
twizzle

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I'm in...... but at 6'8" i guess LR would say that i'm the circus act and that they cannot cater for everybody!
 i'm lovin it....  
Post #11003914th Dec 2006 10:33 pm
GLYNNE

England 

Zambezi Silver Arrow pm sent Thumbs Up

Post #11005214th Dec 2006 11:10 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I'm 6ft 7" & the HSE seats are fine. I know exactly what you mean though as I've driven S & SE models & couldn't get comfy.
Retro fitting the HSE seats would be a solution, but the cost would be prohibitive.
Off topic, but of interest to other tall people, maybe. The D3 is the only vehicle I know that has more headroom with a sunroof. Normally a sunroof looses at least an inch of headroom.

Post #11008315th Dec 2006 1:54 am
al cope

England 

LT - its not a headroom issue, or leg length issue particularly, its the seat base to pedal position thats causing the problem.

I'll wait until just into next week (as I have about 10 names now), and thn get this letter penned.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker

Post #11011215th Dec 2006 10:02 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Alan, I'm happy for my details to be used, PM sent. Good luck and thanks for volunteering to tackle LR on this Thumbs Up

I find that the problem is caused by the seat tipping forward as it is raised. I'm 5'11" and have to keep the seat lower than I would like, to avoid the front edge dipping. This results in the distance to steering wheel being wrong, leading to VWF type numbness in arms after driving > about 1hr.

I have discussed this with my dealer, but the response is basically 'thats the way they are / we can't do anything'. The electric adjust seat are IMO much better, as the front edge doesnt appear to dip in the same way when the seat is raised.

I also seem to be increasingly suffering from sinking seat syndrome ... have to adjust upwards about twice a week, but never downwards.

Dave
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #11036616th Dec 2006 12:05 am
BarryG

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Same here .... PM sent ... and thank Alan.. Thumbs Up

Post #11038616th Dec 2006 1:47 am
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

Add me to the list! (Nathan Woods : USA)
Here is the mod I did to make mine more habitable (I'm 6'7")
http://blog.nextstepdesigns.com/?p=13

What's funny is that I test drove an HSE, and I fit fine, bought my Base model, and was like, what happened? I could have sworn I fit in this thing!

Post #11039316th Dec 2006 2:11 am
cliveaff

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Add my name to this list. Clive Affron.
Iam only 5ft 8 ins (short ass) but they are very uncomfortable, my problem is side leg support, I slide about when going round corners.
 Land Rover Dicovery 3. 5 Seats.
With side Steps, And rubber floor mats and rubber load space cover.
Front and Rear Mud Flaps.
Light Guards.
Engine Re-Map
Alpine Mobile Media Station. With SatNav.
Xenon head lights
Old Man Emu Suspension
Triumph Sprint RS 1050
Discovery 1 300tdi 1995 

Post #11073318th Dec 2006 2:50 pm
NICKNICK

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If the seats are uncomfortable why did you buy one?

Post #11087718th Dec 2006 9:41 pm
cliveaff

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

When you take a car on a test run for an hour, are YOU able to see and find all the problems.
If you can, think about taking over from Clarkson
 Land Rover Dicovery 3. 5 Seats.
With side Steps, And rubber floor mats and rubber load space cover.
Front and Rear Mud Flaps.
Light Guards.
Engine Re-Map
Alpine Mobile Media Station. With SatNav.
Xenon head lights
Old Man Emu Suspension
Triumph Sprint RS 1050
Discovery 1 300tdi 1995 

Post #11091518th Dec 2006 11:39 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

As a previous car driver [confessions over], I suffered from lower bak problems through driving 52k per annum. I had since had an operation in '98 and over recent years the problem has come back. As I wanted to stop any decline in mobility, I bought my D3 2 years ago. Since then I've not only stopped decline, my back problems have got better. Cannot complain about seating & currently doing around 36k miles per year - 13 stone, 6'2".
secret for me is to keep the backrest in an upright position with the seat all the way back and all the way up - just like a dining room chair [not a sofa].
Also using the heated seats in all conditions. It certainly works for me!!
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #11092118th Dec 2006 11:50 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

As a previous car driver [confessions over], I suffered from lower back problems through driving 52k per annum. I had since had an operation in '98 and over recent years the problem has come back. As I wanted to stop any decline in mobility, I bought my D3 2 years ago. Since then I've not only stopped decline, my back problems have got better. Cannot complain about seating & currently doing around 36k miles per year -
14 stone, 6'2".
secret for me is to keep the backrest in an upright position with the seat all the way back and all the way up - just like a dining room chair [not a sofa].
Also using the heated seats in all conditions.
It certainly works for me!!
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #11092418th Dec 2006 11:51 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I have HSE so no problem, seats are excellent.

I sat tfc's new HSE the other week, and the 07 seats feel even better.

Post #11093019th Dec 2006 12:05 am
al cope

England 

NickNick

Did you find out everything on your test drive?

For the most part, its a great car, its just the seating on my S thats giving me a long term issue. Its OK for some of you with higher spec models where there appears to be more adjustment in the seat mechanism (apart from being electric), so stop being smug gits, as nature has its way of getting its own back Very Happy

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #11099019th Dec 2006 9:50 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >