Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Fitting D4 tailgate handle with camera
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Simon,
As you know, I am very interested in this, but as I don't have sat/nav, I'll need to source a suitable screen.

Can you please let me know the output protocol from the camera (is it composite video or other, does the display have to be in a particular format - PAL/NTSC or other, and is a certain screen resolution required).

As you can probably see, I really don't know what I'm talking about, Sad so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter

PS: If I decide to proceed, I would like to receive the fakra connectors as well.
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #56578116th Dec 2009 1:06 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Someone else is probably better armed to supply details of the nav screen resolution Peter (though it's on the site somewhere no doubt). The diag display allow you the flick between PAL & NTSC and it does look better on NTSC (at least I think it was NTSC, will confirm). I've got a 10" monitor I use in my D3, will make up an adapter cable and plug the camera directly into it to see what resolution works best

Happy to supply the Fakra connectors at cost with it Thumbs Up
 The End  
Post #56587416th Dec 2009 10:02 am
gringle

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Big thanks to Simon for sending me the new D4 handle (even colour matched to my car!)

On starting the replacement of the loom today, I was just stripping down the new handle - it seems that Land Rover have changed the wiring for the camera (as pointed out below, this is the "surround camera option" camera - not the rear-view camera stand alone option). Instead of separate power (with the lights/handle in the 6 pole connector) - there's now a new 4 way connector on the camera and camera cable itself.
Click image to enlarge

By my reckoning (could be wrong) - it's a Lemo F series connector - but difficult to tell.(It's a Rosenberg connector as pointed out by Russell below) The cable is shielded with 4 internal wires (green, orange, blue, brown).

My plan is to chop the cable and connect RG174 cable for the video and something else for the power (I want mine powered all the time, so I can split the video into front and rear screens, allowing kids to watch traffic behind whilst we drive!).

Unfortunately the screws on the camera housing are Torx 6 (smallest I have is an 8 ) - so until I can determine which colours are video and which are power - I'll have to delay.

I'll report back once I've found a T6 driver and determined which wire is which Very Happy

Cheers,
Rob.
 Rob aka gringle
D3 07 TDV6 HSE Stornaway Grey [X100 ***], Mantec Plate, Black badges, disco3.co.uk sticker on the tailgate. 

Last edited by gringle on 31st Dec 2009 4:55 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #57171730th Dec 2009 4:12 pm
gringle

T6 driver was found - and the camera was opened up (didn't take a picture sorry!).

Not much use -as the entire camera is in a steel housing inside the plastic case (this steel housing is riveted shut and bonded to the external connector on the camera housing).

There's a rubber grommet around the seal where the plastic halves of the camera mounting join together, and multiple rubber grommets around the part of the housing which holds the camera lens.

So in answer to a previous post - it looks very water proof (and probably is designed to function well underwater too).

Next step for me is a test rig (suspect blue/brown is power, but want to test before I put into the car!) - probably tomorrow as my time is now up for today.
 Rob aka gringle
D3 07 TDV6 HSE Stornaway Grey [X100 ***], Mantec Plate, Black badges, disco3.co.uk sticker on the tailgate. 

Post #57173230th Dec 2009 4:44 pm
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Rob,
Great info. Thumbs Up

Will await further details, with interest.

Peter
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #57206631st Dec 2009 2:55 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

Gringle
Try these posts and sites
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post565397.html#565397
http://www.rosenberger.de/en/Products/40_HSD.php
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post571021.html#571021

The Rosenberger site giveslots of info on the cabling and ho it is laid out if you understand that type of thing Embarassed

Its is in fact a rosenberger connector and the camers you have is from the surround camera system, a diffrent type of camera is fitted to the single rear camera option. Pete at Bell Autos is doing a lot of work on the system and may be able to offer more advise. In the mean time I am trying to talk to Rosenberger supply in the UK about cables ETC but have had issues dur to the Christmas shut down.

Hope this helps. Thumbs Up

Russell
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #57209031st Dec 2009 9:07 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gringle

Thanks Russell!

I took apart the camera housing last night - seems to be a CCD on a chip within the nice steel casing. As Pete says in the other posts, with the differential signalling this is not going to be as simple as I thought!

Some pics below in case they're of interest/use Smile

Next step for me is probably to replace the camera circuit inside this housing with something cheaply available (rather than playing with the electronics, which may be a little too integrated for me!) - but you can see from the last picture the 4 contacts for the rosenberg connector - so it wouldn't be difficult to replace with a little soldering.

I'm just not sure whether I can get the output into a standard av-out.
 Rob aka gringle

Post #57214831st Dec 2009 12:38 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

What about sourcing a control box to go under the front near side seat as per the full camera syatem, this will also give you the option of fitting additional cameras, equipment to feed into the screen. Not sure of the cost but it may be an option if not too expensive.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #57217631st Dec 2009 1:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gringle

Yes - I did think about this, but I've already got a GVIF box under the front seat (next to the Nav DVD) which allows me to play any kind of input on the front screen. It also interrupts the screen when a reverse signal feed is sent - so just needs a camera to have fully working reversing camera.

Then I've got an Alpine switch box too which allows up to 4 inputs either in front screen or rear screens, switchable from nice buttons in the front. (see here: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic37462-90.html)

So I'm sort of reticent to add another module as it would be less simple for SWMBO when driving - but I'm keen to add in a front video camera too (currently only iPhone video and DVD player wired into the Alpine loom).

The tangled cabling we weave when we start the modding .... Laughing
 Rob aka gringle

Post #57219631st Dec 2009 2:34 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Not going to be much of the original camera left by the time you've finished with it Rob Rolling Eyes Thumbs Up

For anyone thinking of buying one off me and possibly being slightly concerned about hooking the camera up having seen what Rob's up to... don't panic!. Rob was supplied the wrong camera and as you see ended up with the one that goes with the surround camera kit rather than just the reversing one, I offered to get it swapped for the correct one but Rob already had the thing in bits before he got my PM Rolling Eyes So if anyone else buys one off me and gets a camera with a Rosenberger connector when they're expecting a Fakra one (or the other way around) please let me know before doing anything with it as I won't be able to change it if you've already taken it to bits, though I will try an ensure you get the right one to start with
 The End  
Post #5725951st Jan 2010 5:41 pm
gringle

Just to fully agree with Simon - if you want one of these cameras (either with Rosenberg or Fakra connector) - he's definitely the person of choice to go to, and don't have any worries. Smile

(also if you want a camera to pull apart and play with - because you're an engineer type who needs to know how everything works, talk to Simon too ... Wink )

Sorry if I've discouraged anyone! Embarassed
 Rob aka gringle

Post #5726261st Jan 2010 6:44 pm
gedaso

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Just curious about the cable required for this mod. Am I correct in thinking that you would need to run something (RG174 or similar coax) from the tailgate under the carpets through to the nav unit for the camera, or is there already some cabling installed in the D3's ?

And apart from the "OEM" look, any reason why you'd go with this instead of a generic reversing camera from ebay ?

thanks
Geoff

Post #5737734th Jan 2010 10:43 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Nothing already installed so you need to run a cable

OEM look and fairly simple install are probably the main reasons for getting one of these rather than something more generic
 The End  
Post #5738384th Jan 2010 12:36 pm
gedaso

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Thanks. Any idea on how much postage to Australia would be ? And any luck finding any specs on the camera resolution and PAL vs NTSC output ?

Post #5738964th Jan 2010 1:58 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Postage down under would be £40

I'm still none the wiser on resolution or encoding, not yet had a chance to test
 The End  
Post #5738984th Jan 2010 2:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >