Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Engine rebuild needed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I would consider two options buy another running engine and just put it straight in after replacing the belts and oil pump and either sell it on or hope this one doesnt fail.
Second option would be source another engine and get somebody decent to put new bearings and rings in it, then you kniw you have a good reliable engine

Post #21591066th Jul 2020 6:30 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Looks like a good idea Moo Thumbs Up

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #21591396th Jul 2020 9:51 am
slatej02

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 3

Sorry to say I came across this thread because something rather similar has just happened to our new (to us) D3. 56 plate with full Land Rover service history and in generally brilliant condition. I had it serviced as soon as I bought it.

On Sunday however, all the coolant fell out of the engine on the M1, the engine shut itself off at 65mph and we ended up on the hard shoulder. Now it's a rebuild job with the head gasket gone and what sounds like a a crack in the cylinder housing. We're having to go down the route of returning the car to dealer as it was only purchased 6 weeks ago but I imagine that is going to be a long and painful journey and we are left Land Rover-less and carless in the meantime.

Do you have any recourse with whoever you bought it from in 2019?

Big Cry

Last edited by slatej02 on 4th Aug 2020 10:54 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #21657124th Aug 2020 6:49 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Isn’t that the risk of buying an old motor?

12 till 15 years old... i think as soon as it is bought, you have to bear the risk...

Ok we can debate about details like service book says new belt, but there is Still an old belt Fitted.

But in general.. nobody can guarantee used engines like these after 12 or fifteen years of use.. history or not....

I had the same... bought the D3, engine running well.....no debris in the oil.. it did Run fine for 200 miles... At idle, at speed, normal speed, etc..... then a spun bearing...driving only 20mls/h bang... Knock knock. i never complaint towards the seller...

Bought a low milage engine, rebuild the bottom end anyway and fitted that engine... yes is cost me... but i still ended up with a fresh engine and have fun now....

The damaged engine is in my workshop, not yet dismantled, but i can see, it has new belts, Rollers, etc.... seems impossible to blame the former owner... it is the design and age who is to blame it think..

If we talk about 6 year old motors for 3 times the money, from a dealer, ok.. maybe different talk...
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #21657484th Aug 2020 9:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >