Electrical problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
trackm90

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Electrical problems

Hi all First post

2007 MY GS with ediff

First month pulling out onto fast road engine cuts to limp home mode no power and wont rev over about 1800rpm. pull onto verge stop engine starts and runs normaly.
straight to dealer, plugged into diagnostics, nothing logged! booked in and updated software uploaded.

month 2 LR button on key unlocks tailgate despite being programed to walk home headlights.this behaviour is eratic one day all is well then it has a will of its own.
Into dealer and you gessed it nothing logged, updated software uploaded

Month 3/4

happily? driving along and up pops "brake system problem urgent attention needed". same next day despite brakes working well. Following day, Monday, everything back to normal. Off to dealer, onto diagnostics, nothing logged, new software uploaded.

month 5

Radio turns off on its own ocassionaly. Next I lower the drivers window and then raise it using single touch function and the window goes up to top and then about a second later descends to halfway up.kids love this as it was pouring with rain.This would repeat five or six times then the window would stay down. Several minutes later normal service would resume.
off to dealer and able to demonstrate problem.
Car booked in and two days later window control unit in door replaced and new software uploaded.
worked OK for a few days and then window problem returns and there is now the sound of a relay clacking in and out from the passengers footwell area. this is almost continuous over about 40 mph.
back to dealer even more head scratching and the Has the windscreen been replaced? answer yes less than a month ago,
Ah we know what the problem is, the clips that hold the windscreen are leaking and there is a big multiway plug and socket that is getting wet. Pointed out that the erratic problems were there several months before screen replaced but that fell on stony ground.

Car booked into dealers next week. better tell them how it is sometimes possible to get out of the car lock the car and stand around listening to the radio still on . LR button will now only unlock tailgate. some times wiper will be on intermittent and then will operate continuously without the stalk being moved.

There are many other one off erratic happenings that do not happen again for a few days or weeks and so i tend to forget them, however since new, sometimes the key will not turn the engine over for up to ten attempts , nothing logged however!

Can anyone throw any light on this behaviour, rapidly losing confidence in car and dealers.

My last 04 Disco II ran 35000miles without a single problem and had climate control that worked and, being ACE equiped, could be thrown around much harder! however love the Disco3s ride, silence, performance(at mpg cost) and towing ability(better if 1st gear was lower) and space. Want to get it chiped but do not have confidence until it is reliable.

Any help appreciated

Post #21794524th Oct 2007 9:31 pm
craig

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Wow - you've been patient Thumbs Up

Not an expert but if the ECU is not logging the DTC's then i'd say that is fried and needs replacing.
Easy enough for the garage to test it, just disconnect a ride height sensor and see what comes up as a DTC in the ECU.

I'd also be thinking about an alternate garage - if it's been in numerous times for repair and they haven't got to the route cause then either the garage aint using all there resource to get it fixed (mines had LR regional people look at it in the garage once - has your dealer called in the regional 2nd level? or they're playing you for a plonker....

If i was you i'd of kicked up more of a stink in the dealership and with LRCC to get it fixed.... but thats me Very Happy

good luck Wink

Post #21796124th Oct 2007 9:56 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Shocked You didn't name your car "Damien" while O Fortuna was playing in the background did you?

Something very, very unhappy with your car. Are you taking it to Salisbury or Christchurch? I've been impressed with Pete's team at Westover and the chaps at Yeovil, but no experience of Salisbury. I know Salisbury is part of the Westover group, but so far Christchurch have demonstrated a) the ability to listen to the customer and believe the problems you describe to them and b) a methodical and enquiring approach to diagnostics. We did have one brief fall-out, but that was due to the techs at Solihull grabbing the wrong end of the warranty stick, burning the stick and trying to charge me for a new and improved stick.

And welcome! Hope to see you around Thumbs Up especially as I'm planning on having a look at the greenlanes between Downton and Shaftesbury soon Mr. Green
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #21796624th Oct 2007 10:04 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

This is bad. Could be corrosion/bad contacts/sensors in the system or a bad ECU. If they dont fix it on the next visit, get them to replace ALL the electronics. If they refuse or that doesnt work then reject the car (if that's possible) and get a new one (D3 of course, they usually work fine and when that happens its the best car you can get).
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #21797024th Oct 2007 10:12 pm
trackm90

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Lugano TealDiscovery 3

NoDo$h wrote:
Shocked You didn't name your car "Damien" while O Fortuna was playing in the background did you?

Something very, very unhappy with your car. Are you taking it to Salisbury or Christchurch? I've been impressed with Pete's team at Westover and the chaps at Yeovil, but no experience of Salisbury. I know Salisbury is part of the Westover group, but so far Christchurch have demonstrated a) the ability to listen to the customer and believe the problems you describe to them and b) a methodical and enquiring approach to diagnostics. We did have one brief fall-out, but that was due to the techs at Solihull grabbing the wrong end of the warranty stick, burning the stick and trying to charge me for a new and improved stick.

And welcome! Hope to see you around Thumbs Up especially as I'm planning on having a look at the greenlanes between Downton and Shaftesbury soon Mr. Green

Fantastic responses
Dealing with Salisbury but find attitude of certain personel very hard to stomach.Having stayed with car while hooked to the LR diagnostic system I am not impressed. Seems to be blind leading the blind.Will apply serious pressure when car goes in on 5th

many thanks

Post #21797624th Oct 2007 10:29 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

I didn't even know you could program the Land Rover button on the key to open the tailgate.

I only hope it is not like the Fiat Punto I bought my wife from new. When you put the radio on, the handbrake light came on. The electric steering failed three times and was replaced.

In the end they found that the wiring loom had a short in it and as the electrics are multiplexed it was affecting loads of other systems. They had to strip the car completely, seats out, carpet out, roof lining, dashboard etc to fit a new wiring loom. In the end it took so long we got a new car from Fiat.

Hope it's not that, but given the problems I would check the ECU voltage as the first step as voltage drops can cause a lot of these problems.

Post #21805925th Oct 2007 11:39 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >