Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Discovery 4 or 2011 Volkswagen Touareg ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Rai

Turkey 
Discovery 4 or 2011 Volkswagen Touareg ?

Hello All,

Starting with a disclaimer - I have nothing to do with VW, and while considering an LR4 purchase ( Whistle long long time of thinking, trying to get the finances right) I came across this new Touareg announcement.

Furthermore, I know posting this question on this forum might give me some biased answers, but I just wanted to hear your thoughts on the Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 vs the 2011 Touareg 3 liter diesel comparison. What do you think are the pluses and minuses of both ? It might seem an early question as the specs of the Touareg are just out and of course no one but the ones who have been to the Geneva and NY Auto show have seen the car in real life.

Let me address one issue for starters: I believe it is only fair to compare the Touareg that has the Terrain Pack option, with the Discovery 4. In order to do away with 200kg of the Touareg, VW have taken some bits and pieces off, one of which is the full-terrain differential system. I believe the 8-speed auto gear of the new Touareg in that case falls to 6 with the terrain pack, but I might be mistaken.

And here are two links for the new Touareg:

http://www.netcarshow.com/volkswagen/2011-touareg/
http://www.volkswagen.de/vwcms/master_publ...uareg.html (yes it's the german site but is the only place with the full configurator whereby you can see all options and pricing, not up on the UK site as of today.)

Many thanks for your ideas and comments.

Post #63545513th Apr 2010 7:06 pm
oddboy

United Kingdom 

still fugly Rolling with laughter
 Richard
club none owner 

Post #63546513th Apr 2010 7:16 pm
disco_steve

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

NO contest in my opinion - has to be the D4 Thumbs Up

I'm not saying it is better (or worse) that the VW, but it's BRITISH (well, built at least) and we have far too much going out of this country as it is, so . . . old chap, spend your hard earned £'s on what is essentially a great BRITISH product, and drive with pride, knowing you have helped keep those Solihul boys busy for another day at least. Whistle

I also (joking aside) think that the LR D4 is a superb vehicle, and will knock spots off the VW especially off road, and it has LOADS more street credability as well Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Oh, and if you do buy the the VW . . . . get off this site - BYE (nothing personal of course)Rolling with laughter
 Never get mad - get even !!

06 D3 now gone to family member and still going strong at 265k

previous vehicles:
04 D2 TD5 - (clocked 189k from new)
52 X-Trail 2.2 SVE
various euro boxes ! 

Post #63547313th Apr 2010 7:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mepore

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Book yourself in for the Land Rover experience at the home of the legend. See the D4 being built in the morning and try it out in the afternoon - then decide. Your local dealer might even pay if you ask nicely.

Post #63547913th Apr 2010 7:32 pm
mepore

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Ooops is Turkey a suburb of Birmingham?

Post #63548113th Apr 2010 7:33 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

If you want reliability go for VW, if you want ability but potential for problems go for LR. One of my D3s is up for renewal in 12 months and it's not automatically going to be a LR product. I've had too many problems with mine, both major and stupid. If LR screwed the things together properly they'd have my business for life but they don't!

Post #63551313th Apr 2010 8:15 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I actually think that the Touareg is a bloody good car....on the road it's excellent and the 3.0 V6 engine is great....

And as much as I hate to say it without sounding like a forum fanboy, the Touareg simply isn't special in any way......it's very good, but lacks personality and presence......off-road it used to be pretty good (better than most would think), but I have a feeling from the looks of it that off-road performance is the least of VW's concerns with this newer model.

Don't listen to DSL - he's just upset because his repair bills are double that of most D3 owners Laughing Bow down

Try both and I think that whilst your head is telling you to buy the Touareg, your heart will already be signing the order form for a D4......

I've been reading D3/4, 4x4 and other automotive forums for years and I still don't rate the Disco as being much more unreliable than the rest Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #63552413th Apr 2010 8:34 pm
Ken

Tis an easy answer Toerag caus if you ainr sure your not worthy to own a LR Wink

Post #63552713th Apr 2010 8:37 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Paul, just double??? Wish they were that low!!! Just cost me (well Tesco if truth be known) £1500 and 2weeks to get it through it's 2nd MOT. Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Just ignore me, I'm just bitter and twisted and got to used to 4 year old cars not failing MOTs and spending weeks at a time in the garage! Snigger Thumbs Up

Post #63553013th Apr 2010 8:41 pm
addicted to nurburgring

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I would have thought the RRS is a better comparison to the Toerag.

IMHO the D4 strengths over the VW:

7 Seats
Split Rear Tail gate
Much more practical
more equipment as standard
better off road capability
4 x 4 brand image

VW Strengths

better image in terms of reliability but they have their fair share of horror stories. For the record, my D3 has been faultless
Possibly better fuel consumption
 Current:
2014 RRS 3.0 HSE
Porsche 997 GT3
BMW 118d SE
Past:
D4 HSE 3.0 TDV6 Auto
D3 HSE 2.7 TDV6 Auto 

Post #63558413th Apr 2010 10:24 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

you get much more space in the d4, qudos and real ability. some bolt on bits (egr, turbo, epb, air compressor) are, maybe were, lacking in quality, otherwise no contest. vws dont have the enthusiast following
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #63560913th Apr 2010 11:05 pm
carpenpa

United Kingdom 
VW and LR reliability

We sold a reliable Freelander 1 to buy a new VW Touran. After 6 weeks the VW died due to the DPF getting clogged up (apparently a well recognised problem - but not well enough publicised). Left the partner stranded with 2 kids and late for an appointment. The response from the VW recovery service was "do you have your credit card with you? no, oh well you will need to get a taxi home to pick it up, then get another taxi to take you to a car hire agent, pay for car hire and when your vehicle is fixed we will refund you - for the car hire but not the taxis. In the meantime we will send the AA to recover your car". Apparently the DPF clogging up was our fault because once a week you should take it for a burn up the dual carriageway for 40 mins to allow it to regenerate - funny, but that wasn't mentioned in the handbook.

Said VW was returned to the dealers and we lost 7K on it - couldn't be bothered with legal hassle - and couldn't wait for delivery of new Freelander 2 - which has been totally reliable over last 2 years and 30K miles except for a connector coming loose on passenger door mechanism.

From our experience, all cars can have their problems, but none of our LR have been particularly unreliable, but the customer service has always put VW to shame. Censored
 Thoroughly enjoying my landrovers in the southwest.  
Post #63561313th Apr 2010 11:21 pm
Zermatt Vulgaris

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

think the new VW is coming in seven seats....

if there is going to be no disco 5 only a RRS 7 the VW might have to be my next car Big Cry .... you can only buy a disco if LR are making them.. Big Cry

I'm with DSL here my D3 went on its holidays for 3 weeks to the dealer in the middle of the hardest winter in twenty years in scotland... due to the efforts of the local dealer we got hold of a replacment 4x4 ...Land Rover assistance were useless on this point.

If the same thing happens next winter the Landcruiser and VW dealers are going to be visited.... perhaps not as good as the D4 as an allrounder ... certainly no where near as able offroad ... but perhaps more reliable.

I've always loved Land rovers but not when days that should have been sent ski-ing; hill walking etc are spent sorting out hire cars and replacement vehicles.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2011MY Zermatt Silver Range Rover Sport HSE 3.0 TDV6

Last edited by Zermatt Vulgaris on 13th Apr 2010 11:43 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #63561413th Apr 2010 11:23 pm
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

treg is a very good car, it's had a 3.0 V6 way longer than LR, in fact, LR had to wait for jag to supply it...

if you need 7 seats the d4 is the way to go,if you need to go offroad (properly) then a d4 is the way to go, although the treg is good offroad..
if you want a car that handles as well as a porsche goes as well as a porsche, is way cheaper than a porsche, but has the same engine, chassis, gearbox as a porsche, oh and is far better looking than a porsche then get a treg....

or you could buy british... Thumbs Up
 one wife.......livid  
Post #63562013th Apr 2010 11:42 pm
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

VW Said:
"...Equipped like this, the Volkswagen Touareg can conquer any terrain on Earth..."

That surely settles it then Thumbs Up Wink
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #63562413th Apr 2010 11:49 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >