DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Disco 3 Tow Bar Single Electrics - Advice Required Please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
7244NE

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Disco 3 Tow Bar Single Electrics - Advice Required Please

Hi All,

I am a newcomer to the site, collecting my 07 Discovery 3 GS Auto next week and I need to fit a removable towbar. I have bought the actual towbar and need to buy the electrics (single) but I have noticed on some ebay listings that some self-installations need a visit to a dealer to re-programme the cars on-board computer to make it compatible for towing.

My question is whether this is essential for single electrics please, or if this is only for twin electrics. Also, do the dealers charge for this service?

I hope you can help me.

Thanks

Neil

Post #70888927th Oct 2010 7:48 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
A1GSS

England 

Fitting is easy if you buy the Land Rover kit. Thumbs Up Did mine in about 90 minutes.

Enabling the car's electronics isn't necessary for the equipment to work; it's plug and play.

What it does is to stop the car automatically adjusting suspension height when you've got your caravan connected and tipping it over...

EDIT: for typos
 ____
Gone: 10MY L320 RR Sport HSE, Ipanema Sand
Gone: 20MY Jaguar iPace HSE, Silicon Silver
Gone: 17MY RR Evoque SE Tech, Loire Blue
Gone: 08MY Discovery 3 XS, Stornoway Grey
Gone: 07MY FFRR TDV8 Vogue, Stornoway Grey 

Last edited by A1GSS on 27th Oct 2010 8:07 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #70889027th Oct 2010 8:00 am
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

Fitting the electrics is a doddle but I'd stay away from the ebay offerings if I were you and get a genuine LR 13-pin kit from The Large One.

If your car's never had a towing electrics fitted, you only need to have the car 'reprogrammed' to ensure the suspension height change is disabled when a trailer is connected. The dealer can do this or, contact someone like Wiggs who has FaultMate and who can also reprogram your car (and do it for a lot les than the dealer will charge Whistle )
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #70889227th Oct 2010 8:03 am
7244NE

Clarification

I'll definitely stick with genuine LR kit. To clarify, if I do not have this done at the dealer, will the suspension not know when I am towing?

Post #70889527th Oct 2010 8:13 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
A1GSS

England 

It's only an issue if you plan to tow off tarmac and use Terrain Response. Normal road use is all good.
 ____

Post #70890027th Oct 2010 8:39 am
DiscoDad

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Programming also disables the rear parking sensors (if fitted) when a trailer is connected. Thumbs Up

Post #70904427th Oct 2010 4:07 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

DD - actually I think this usually depends on the Land Rover Model Year Voodoo factor.....

I know quite a few people who have installed the tow-pack electrics and the rear PDC sensors have automatically disabled upon plugging in a trailer without having the trailer feature activated.
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #70904627th Oct 2010 4:16 pm
DiscoDad

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Ah! Now that is clever! Thumbs Up

I never checked this on my D3 as the trailer I had then was so small that it was easier to un-hook it and move it by hand so I never actually reversed it!

On the D4 I had the electrics fitted at the dealer so I assume it was programmed as well.

Post #70904927th Oct 2010 4:21 pm
7244NE

Thanks

Thanks for your posts.

I'll install a genuine LR single electric kit and then report back - it's an 07 plate so I hope it's equipped with the afforementioned parking sensor wizardry!

Regards

Neil

Post #70918627th Oct 2010 9:04 pm
POINTYED

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

hi neil
tbh i found the difference in price between single and double electrics is not that much
fitting is not hard just take your time routing the wires espec around the cars dangley balls Laughing
and if you ever get an oppertunity to pull a caravan your hook up is already there
dunc Thumbs Up
 life is tooooo short.enjoy the moment.dont worry be happy

club BSS 

Post #70921527th Oct 2010 9:52 pm
A1GSS

England 

POINTYED wrote:
...fitting is not hard ...

Agreed, but read instruction 16 carefully. It's there for a reason... Heheheh Smile
 ____

Post #70924927th Oct 2010 11:10 pm
Ent

Iraq 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I've got a set for sale and could enable it once fitted Whistle £50
 Club Exped trailer
Club Timed Climate
Club Flappy paddle steering wheel
Club 300bhp
Club Prospeed test pilot/lab rat
Club National Luna Stella conditioner 

Post #70926128th Oct 2010 12:14 am
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Have some jpg's in gallery re hook up for electric brakes.

While it primarily relates to the NAS 3, I have posted in my gallery some jpg's and pdf's related to the wiring for the trailer electrics and in particular, the connection of an electric brake controller to an existing factory Land Rover / Ford connector, C2590, located up by the brake pedal.

It may be that the same Ford plug exists in the EU harnesses as well but I do not have an EU wiring diagram, only the NAS LR3 specific wiring diagrams. The jpg below is the adapter cable that inserts between the Ford plug and a Tekonsha brake controller. Other brands have similar adapter cables. This cable is a four conductor NAS cable; I think that an EU cable would have at least five conductors as the Land Rover connector C2590 has five conductors leading to it even on the NAS version, (but the NAS Controller only requires four.)

2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #70927128th Oct 2010 4:51 am
manichauhan

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Just a few pointers to fast path your installation if you decide to install the 13 pin electrics yourself ... Smile

1) The 13 pin socket should be positioned on the bumper with the socket cap opening from the right hand side i.e the land rover sign on the cap will not be horizontal, but vertical. The mounting of the screws then becomes obvious.

2) Make sure you take off the two dummy plug ends from the 4 pin and 6 pin connectors, before you try to connect the wiring loom plugs. The connectors are located on the far left hand top edge of the rear left hand side storage cabin.

3) Remove your spare tyre completely to give you more space to work with.

4) Don't try to feed the wiring loom through the gap between the bumper and the bulky and swivelling stabilizer block. Instead feed the loom across from the front of the block, grab the connectors at the other end as it emerges and them push the loom cables back into the space between the bumper and the stabizer block.
It is virtually impossible to clip in the two clips (the wider clip and the one with the arm) on the wiring loom which are meant to sit behind the stabilizer. Unless you remove the bumper (!!) which is longer task. But you need not do it.

5) Make sure the wiring loom sits behind the exhaust heat shield as it goes up underneath the LHS tail lamp. This will prevent it from getting damaged over from heat exposure.

Hope the above helps.

Post #77369613th Mar 2011 10:58 am
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Heat shield hint is important.

manichauhan wrote:
5) Make sure the wiring loom sits behind the exhaust heat shield as it goes up underneath the LHS tail lamp. This will prevent it from getting damaged over from heat exposure.

Hope the above helps.

Just a note to say thanks for the tips, in particular the reference to the heat shield.
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #77378313th Mar 2011 5:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >