DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D4)

D4 GS SATNAV UPGRADE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Discofamily2

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4
Sat nav upgrade

dangerdave wrote:
Anyone looking for a less adventurous but equally factory fit type Satnav, look no further than a Kenwood 7" touch screen combined with a Kenwood 421 Hard Drive Satnav. You can fit up a Kenwood CMOS300 camera and it hey presto, better than factory fit.

Interesting to hear another type can be retrofitted how much do these cost and is it kit form or fitted by yourselves?

Post #107566621st Mar 2013 8:10 pm
dangerdave

Admin note: post content removed at user request

Post #107568921st Mar 2013 8:52 pm
spliff

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

I would like to fit sat nav to my D4 GS with an aftermarket solution of some sort.
My question is, what do I do with the radio/phone screen that is removed ?
Does it need to be located elsewhere (glove box perhaps) so that it does not invalidate LR warranty ?
I understand LR are very iffy when it comes to alterations to wiring etc.

Cheers
Chris

Post #107773525th Mar 2013 9:51 am
dangerdave

Admin note: post content removed at user request

Post #107774425th Mar 2013 10:33 am
spliff

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Thanks for the reply dangerdave.
That certainly is an option.
Thing is though that it would probably preclude attaching a reversing camera without becoming very messy.
If the radio screen was moved to the glovebox and still functioned, and the replacement unit was wired to an
auxillary socket, do you think that would affect the warranty ?

Post #107779925th Mar 2013 12:49 pm
BIGKAL

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Hi, need help!!

HI PHIL Very Happy

I HAVE A 2012 GS AS WELL. I ALSO WANT TO GET THE HSE SATNAV INSTALLED!!
I AM HOPEFULLY HALF WAY THERE!!
CAN YOU PLEASE EMAIL ME WHAT EVER INFORMATION YOU HAVE ON THIS???

LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR REPLY

THANKS

KALITH

KALITH29 AT YAHOO DOT CO DOT UK

Phillw wrote:
Thanks Lee,
The airbag problem was my own fault, I believe. Whistle I (Well my brother Rolling Eyes who was so kindly helping at the time,- heavy handed) must have dislodged the electrical connector that attaches to the SRS (supplementary restraint system) module. The module is situated under the centre console just in front of the rear ashtray. While trying to feed the MOST cable through I must have dislodged the connector causing the airbag light to be displayed. I just reseated the connector, reset the DTC using Faultmate and all is good. Great bit of equipment Faultmate, highly recommend it. Thumbs Up Really helped me out and save me a few quid that I would have otherwise had to spend with my local dealer. Biggest problem with the retrofit was getting the correct connectors. I could have made it a little easy on myself if I had cut the connectors off and soldered the joints but I always wanted to be able to revert back to the original specification. Even now, I can if I wish go back to the original spec and it wouldn’t take long to do.
If I had the correct connectors this would be quite a straight forward upgrade. You do need to make five splices into the main loom and add a couple of connections to the central junction box. I am no car electrician and do not consider myself to be particular good at car electronics. The electronic drawings are very good and easy to understand. Often we shy away from projects like these for fear of damaging our cars but with a bit of care and diligence this is one upgrade in my opinion worth doing. How much did it cost? Well excluding Faultmate you can expect to pay up to a £1000, may be a bit less if you find some bargain parts. As part of the installation I managed to purchase the front loom from a 2010 RR Sport. This helped as I could trace the wiring through the loom and remove the wires that I needed with the connectors on. I now have the RSE supply ready and waiting. To anybody thinking of doing this I would say, do it. I would like to put a PDF together but to be honest I am not particular good on that side of things but I would be more than willing to help anybody that needs it. Difficult rating out of 10 perhaps 7. Satisfaction 10/10. Thank you to all those forum members that offered me advice along the way.
Very Happy

Post #10991744th May 2013 11:30 pm
BIGKAL

Re: D4 GS SATNAV UPGRADE

HI PHILLW

CAN YOU PLEASE CONTACT ME

[email protected]

Phillw wrote:
I received from Equicar today a new satnav screen and updated CD-radio for my D4. I have the GS and looking to retrofit Premium ICE. Any comments or helpful advice would be gratefully received. I believe that I will require a new Amp. Anyone got a spare D4 premium amp? I have also now received front dashboard loom and front Ice Loom. Do I replace the loom or just strip out the wires I need? CCF will need to be configured. I need a MSV2 but have to get all the parts first. Anyone in the Gloucestershire area got a MSV2 (Multi vehicle). I am sure that this must be a desirable option for all us D4 GS owners. I have put some pictures of the parts I have including the loom in my gallery. Some of the pictures in my gallery have an explanation against them as to where the connectors connect to. As I am unsure of all connections some of the connectors require an explanation as to where they connect to. The ICE Loom in particular. I have put numbers against connectors so that they can be referenced. Can anybody help with that? Has anybody else got as far as this in terms of retrofitting the satnav on the D4 or indeed purchased the parts to do this? Lots of questions. I will try and document this as I go which I will then put on the site for everybody to reference. Anyway Just wanted to say that the service I received from Equicar was second to none, parts arrived extremely well packed and were exactly as they had described. By the way they still had one D4 screen left.

Post #11011359th May 2013 2:28 pm
Phillw

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Hi Bigkal,
It has been quite some time since I did the upgrade on my 2010 D4 GS. I no longer have that particular car but have helped others with updating their cars. I still have some photos of the update and some parts. Please send me a PM of what you need to know and I will try to assist. Sorry for the late reply but to be honest with my work commitments and other projects on the go I do not visit the site as often as I used to.
Still have a D4. HSE now and still love the car as much as ever.
Phillip

Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE
Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS
Discovery 3 TDV6 S
Discovery 2 TD5
2009 Swift Conqueror
MSV-2 Extreme 

Post #11012769th May 2013 6:48 pm
BIGKAL

ok pm sent

Phillw wrote:
Hi Bigkal,
It has been quite some time since I did the upgrade on my 2010 D4 GS. I no longer have that particular car but have helped others with updating their cars. I still have some photos of the update and some parts. Please send me a PM of what you need to know and I will try to assist. Sorry for the late reply but to be honest with my work commitments and other projects on the go I do not visit the site as often as I used to.
Still have a D4. HSE now and still love the car as much as ever.
Phillip

Post #11014489th May 2013 10:46 pm
felecata

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

hi Phillip
can u contact me aswell i want to get a sat nav in to a 2012 gs... i allredy get some parts but i dont know what else i nead. i dont want to strep it and realise i dont have someting
new on site and canot pm you
[email protected]

king regards
cat

Post #137563018th Nov 2014 7:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >