Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D4)

D4 GS SATNAV UPGRADE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Makfilin

Poland 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

What grey 10 pin connector is near with it connector???

Post #75446731st Jan 2011 1:49 am
Phillw

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Permagrin restored. Very Happy
Having resolved the small issue of my airbag light being on all appears to be working well. Below are three pictures that show my D4 GS satnav upgrade. I would like to thank Pete from Bellautos for his help. Great guy can’t thank him enough. I would also like to thank the person who supplied me with the D4 electrical drawings. Certainly could have not have done this without the drawings. I also could not have done this with Faultmate MSV2. Today it has certainly proved its worth. If you don’t have a Faultmate and are looking to do this level of upgrade you should certainly consider it.

Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE
Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS
Discovery 3 TDV6 S
Discovery 2 TD5
2009 Swift Conqueror
MSV-2 Extreme 

Post #76078112th Feb 2011 8:27 pm
lee157

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Nice one Phil, glad to see you got it sorted in the end. Thumbs Up

Post #76147314th Feb 2011 3:23 pm
Phillw

Thanks Lee,
The airbag problem was my own fault, I believe. Whistle I (Well my brother Rolling Eyes who was so kindly helping at the time,- heavy handed) must have dislodged the electrical connector that attaches to the SRS (supplementary restraint system) module. The module is situated under the centre console just in front of the rear ashtray. While trying to feed the MOST cable through I must have dislodged the connector causing the airbag light to be displayed. I just reseated the connector, reset the DTC using Faultmate and all is good. Great bit of equipment Faultmate, highly recommend it. Thumbs Up Really helped me out and save me a few quid that I would have otherwise had to spend with my local dealer. Biggest problem with the retrofit was getting the correct connectors. I could have made it a little easy on myself if I had cut the connectors off and soldered the joints but I always wanted to be able to revert back to the original specification. Even now, I can if I wish go back to the original spec and it wouldn’t take long to do.
If I had the correct connectors this would be quite a straight forward upgrade. You do need to make five splices into the main loom and add a couple of connections to the central junction box. I am no car electrician and do not consider myself to be particular good at car electronics. The electronic drawings are very good and easy to understand. Often we shy away from projects like these for fear of damaging our cars but with a bit of care and diligence this is one upgrade in my opinion worth doing. How much did it cost? Well excluding Faultmate you can expect to pay up to a £1000, may be a bit less if you find some bargain parts. As part of the installation I managed to purchase the front loom from a 2010 RR Sport. This helped as I could trace the wiring through the loom and remove the wires that I needed with the connectors on. I now have the RSE supply ready and waiting. To anybody thinking of doing this I would say, do it. I would like to put a PDF together but to be honest I am not particular good on that side of things but I would be more than willing to help anybody that needs it. Difficult rating out of 10 perhaps 7. Satisfaction 10/10. Thank you to all those forum members that offered me advice along the way.
Very Happy

Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE
Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS
Discovery 3 TDV6 S
Discovery 2 TD5
2009 Swift Conqueror
MSV-2 Extreme 

Post #76155814th Feb 2011 7:49 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Excellent job there Bow down

Much better when you do something yourself Thumbs Up
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #76156214th Feb 2011 8:06 pm
jonnyc

Germany 
Re: SCREEN for D4

samh wrote:
Does anyone know if you buy & retro fit a proper 7inch LCD monitor with Sat Nav and reversing camera into a DISCOVERY4. Mine is fitted with just the plain display (single colour). I prefer not to bodgy up with a 7inch Alpine LCD touch screen, i would like to know if this is possible?
thanks

Hi,
did you find a solution? I also have the plain-radio display in my D4. The TomTom GO940 live works well, but I would prefer to have a 7" Touchscreen Display instead of the plain one. The SONY XNV-L77BT looks very nice, it has the TomTom-Naviagationsystem with live services.
Does anybody know an aftermarket solution fitting to the D4?

Jonny

Post #76202815th Feb 2011 6:28 pm
wiggs

Phil

You dont remember what colour band on the most cable to the amp is do you ?

is it Yellow ?
Post #76263416th Feb 2011 7:48 pm
Phillw

Sorry wiggs I could not say with certainty. Some of the bands were blue. To be honest the MOST connectors have an up and down arrow on so I just ensured that the MOST cable formed a complete loop. I double checked by shining a torch light down the connector trying to keep the light to one side. Once the system was up and running I could remove the connector and see the red light being displayed by the amp/phone module. I hope this helps.

Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE
Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS
Discovery 3 TDV6 S
Discovery 2 TD5
2009 Swift Conqueror
MSV-2 Extreme 

Post #76267016th Feb 2011 9:00 pm
wiggs

Thanks Thumbs Up

I do know about how the most in / out works Whistle ... But be careful ...they don't recommend you shine a torch down the fibre optic cables .

I have just picked up a full ice rear loom with RSE for the D4.....got it laid out and just working out were everything goes.

I will have a look at my mates amp at the weekend
Post #76274416th Feb 2011 11:02 pm
Phillw

Hi Wiggs,
I managed to win a bid on eBay for the latest 2010 maps. Still waiting for the DVD to arrive. I have fitted the cable that is used to update the navigation software from the back of the satnav unit to a position below the steering wheel. I know that there is a special cable required that goes from LR IDS to the cable/port located under the steering wheel. I believe that this cable may allow me to connect my laptop to the HDD in the satnav. The cable/connector type is one that I am not familiar with. I want to say it is some sort of USB cable. Do you know where I can get this cable from? The only way to update to the latest Navigation software that I know of is to take the car to the dealer and they will update it using the IDS system and their special cable. If I could get the correct cable would my Laptop then see the car HDD as another external HDD? If so all I would have to do is run the install program from the DVD making sure I install to the car HDD. I am sure it want be as easy as that. I suspect there will be some security codes of some sort required. The DVD on eBay looked genuine but who knows.
RSE is a project that I would like to do next. When I retrofitted the satnav I also put the supply cable for the RSE in as it is not standard on the GS. I have been tempted with purchasing some of the Freelander headrest/screen advertised on eBay. Equicar (Wolverhampton) had some second hand RSE modules for £80.0 about a month ago. Good luck with your RSE/ICE project.

Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE
Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS
Discovery 3 TDV6 S
Discovery 2 TD5
2009 Swift Conqueror
MSV-2 Extreme 

Post #76277516th Feb 2011 11:59 pm
wiggs

RSE ... I have already fitted in the d3. Thumbs Up

The loom is for a D4 ... I just managed to get one cheap . I can also get new RSE modules if you don't want to go down the second hand route .

D4 hard drive ...mate of mine has removed it and tried reading it from a pc .. No luck yet Sad

The d3 nav disk has different GUI than the D4 ...so I very much doubt that would work ...it's more like the freelander 2 graphics

I have d3 disks here if you get let down with the eBay one ... But I think your only option is to get the dealer to install it
Post #76278217th Feb 2011 12:13 am
unreal boy

PHILLW you have a pm...i attend a reply thx!!!

Post #76283117th Feb 2011 9:46 am
friedrich-immo.at

Austria 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

hi phill, i am trying to do the same upgrade as you have been doing, i would be very gratefull if you could assitst/ answer unknown questions.
my email is [email protected]

looking forward in hearing from you
Alexander

PS: i am new to this forum therrefore i couldn't send you am pm. Smile

Post #79859219th May 2011 10:24 pm
Phillw

Hello Alexander,
A warm welcome to the Site. Thumbs Up
If I can assist please do not hesitate to contact me.
I have sent you an email that should help.
Phill.

Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE
Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS
Discovery 3 TDV6 S
Discovery 2 TD5
2009 Swift Conqueror
MSV-2 Extreme 

Post #79860419th May 2011 11:18 pm
friedrich-immo.at

Austria 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
hi

hi phill can you contact me thank you alexander