Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

D3 Curtain airbag deployment whilst driving and no accident
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
mik

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

DG wrote:
You might be right Mik but sadly VOSA's history in these matters is very poor tbh.

I can only go from personal experience. I suffered a brake vacuum pipe failure on my Seat Leon years ago which cause you to lose the servo. No warning - there would be servo initially but it would bleed away and leave you needing A LOT of pedal force.

Same issue had caused recalls of A3 and mk IV Golf (with which the Leon shares it's platform) but they had deemed Leon's out-of-scope.

I worked with Vosa and prodded them and after a couple of months Leon's were recalled for this too.

Post #8034384th Jun 2011 11:42 am
packingstrips

DG.

Your right, ive worked with these vehicles since 04 and Land Rover since 1996 and apart from the incidents with the Disco 1 and the subsequent recal (A488) if i remember correctly,i cant think of any model air bag deploying involuntary. The A488 was a safety recal as it posed this threat....i know the Disco 3 has the Q45 but this is a service action and as such doesnt pose the same dangers as the A488 did and will only bring the srs warning light on.

Regarding Vosa, i wasnt disagreeing with you but i think the distiction needs to be made between the varying dangers, as the parkbrake wasnt a particular design fault and was in most cases due to error then that is left to Land Rover to sort which they duly have done, if it were down to a screw which was substandard which could easily effect a whole vin range/model then they usually step in. As there is alot of unknowns here this is the reason why they should be contacted, by rights manafactures should contact Vosa anyway if there is a potential issue.....time will tell but im watching this one with great interest.

Please keep us updated!!

Ps, DG your avatar really screws with my eyes. Shocked

Post #8034434th Jun 2011 12:16 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Thumbs Up

Screwing with my head too ...I'm going to change it before I vomit Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #8034474th Jun 2011 12:30 pm
rdknight

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi All

Many thanks for your replies..

Just to clarify, the curtain airbags and those in the seats deployed along both sides ie 6 and along with the shock at the time has left a right old mess in the motor, ripped seats and ripped headling etc.

So I went to my local dealer today, the Service Manager was very helpful and at the same time v. concerned. He took pictures and suggested I call LR Customer Service on Monday when they are open. He will back us to a degree with LR but not sure how much influence he will have. I think contacting VOSA is a good shout

So I will see how we go on Monday

Cheers

Post #8034484th Jun 2011 12:34 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

That's an encouraging start Smile
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #8034534th Jun 2011 12:47 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Where in Kent are you and what dealer is assisting?
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #8035044th Jun 2011 5:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rdknight

Hello

Well the car is still with the dealer. Some of the parts are being sent back to the manufacturers for additional testing. LR dealer has been supportive and have supplied us with a Freelander whilst the car is off the road.

So we are still waiting to hear any news really. i am not sure at this stage whether it is a good thing or not to mention which dealer it is with especially as I think it is Land Rover themselves that are really calling the shots with the dealer acting as the go between.

Cheers

Post #80643113th Jun 2011 10:03 am
Archeci

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I appreciate you said there was no collision, but had you struck any form of pot hole or bump in the road?

A couple of years ago I went to a report of a BMW compact stopped in lane one of the A63. On my arrival the vehicle had suffered an off side front wheel blow out, this had been sufficient to activate the vehicles offside side airbags, the female driver had suffered one hell of a shock at the time.

Lee
 Tonga Green TDV6 S

Remember laughing or smiling confuses the management. 

Post #80643713th Jun 2011 10:45 am
al cope

England 

I guess worse case is you could trying claiming off your own insurance ( as seats, headlining, trim, airbags aint cheap).

I know thats not idel, but still might be cheaper than forking out yourself, and see if your insurer will fight LR to recover costs.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #80646113th Jun 2011 12:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rdknight

So, More than a month down the line and still no news from Land Rover and the guy dealing with me at head office has gone on leave!

Must admit to getting a little frustrated now..

Post #8141125th Jul 2011 3:30 pm
ruggedpeak

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Unnecessary quote removed

That's pretty poor. I'm sure more than 1 person works at Land Rover and someone could have the decency to give you an update.

Probably time for a decent personal injury lawyer!
 Tony

Club RLD Wheel Protector & Sump Guard
Club 4x4 Info activated 

Post #8141985th Jul 2011 7:00 pm
rdknight

Well there may be some news... Not sure what it means yet though! Must reiterate that my local dealer is being really helpful. I think that the service manager at my local dealer is trying to find out more for me over the next few days, so hopefully I will have some more news soon

Post #8142105th Jul 2011 7:27 pm
Rockpaperscissors

Wales 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Curtain airbag deployment

Hi RDKNIGHT

Ive had an issue similar to this although it was on a different vehicle (Citreon C8). I was driving roughly the same speed 20mph through the local town centre boiling hot day and BANG!! drivers and passenger airbag went off ripping the dashboard to shreds.

It was with Citreon for a few months whilst they checked it and traced it back to faulty door seal, which in turn had rusted the the inner door frame creating a tiny hole allowing water to get into the ECU over a period of time. they replaced both the dash and new steering wheel and as a good will stumped up 50% of the costs.

Probally nothing to do with yours but just a thought Thumbs Up

RPS

Post #81620911th Jul 2011 9:25 pm
rdknight

NOT GOOD NEWS

So just heard back from Chris Orr at Land Rover

He states that the technical report indicates that my Land Rover thought it was going to roll and that the air bags triggered, as they should and that there is no mechanical problem. Basically he says that is the end of it and I should collect my vehicle and Land Rover want nothing more to do with it.

When I asked what parameters were reached he refused to answer and when I asked for a copy of the report he refused to share it with me.

He then asked me if I had driven the car into a ditch? I had to refrain from getting angry, what a ridiculous question, if i had driven into a ditch i would have contacted my insurance company! Also there would be damage to the vehicle which apart from ripped headlining and seats where the airbags deployed there is no damage whatsoever the car is immaculate. Local Land Rover Guy Salmon even took photos and stated clearly that it was obvious that the vehicle had not been in any accident.

I have spoken to my insurance company and they say unless there is damage to the exterior of the car they are not interested in any claims.

I am therefore stuffed. Anyone know if I am allowed to drive a car in this state, otherwise I am stuck. I am fearing a huge bill...

I see my options as, MP, Watchdog, Lawyer (anyone know a good one?). I have already contacted an independent vehicle engineer who may fight LR with us..

Basically LR have had the vehicle 6 weeks only to tell me to Censored off (apologies rant over)

Post #81690213th Jul 2011 8:17 pm
packingstrips

Total and utter Censored

The rcm has an internal roll over sensor, it will only fire if the roll over limit has been exceeded, the bags that deployed would have done so in a roll over situation and not a side impact for instance...even so there is a safing sensor which confirms everything......they are feeding you bullcrap.

If it recieved a correct crash signal ( ie the vehicle was involved in an accident with enough force to activate a fire ) then the fuel pump should have cut out, the hazards should have come on and the doors would have fired to unlock the car if they were locked. So im assuming this didnt happen?

Something isnt right with their diagnosis.

Post #81694013th Jul 2011 9:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >