Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

The D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Mr Andrew

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
The D3’s Achilles heel

So, wise men of the D3 forum, what is the D3 softest spot? By this I mean – on a normal off-road day, what can you easily, unintentionally break/damage, in a way that is a serious problem, i.e. you become stranded, or the problem is sufficently expensive to really ruin your day.
I hope that our collective experience can identify the most serious vulnerabilities, and please also post strategies or mods to avoid the problem.
Some ground rules - let’s ignore stuff that’s annoying, not terminal. Example – the electronic park brake (my screams endlessly, but it will release most times, and in a worst case I pull the interior cable). No design flaw rants (e.g., tow bar plough), seriously atypical (over heating rear parking drums causing tyre and hub destruction), or limitations that apply to all vehicles (e.g. water inside any diesel engine is seriously terminal). Any please be specific. “The electrics” is not helpful!

Here are the ones that worry me down the most:
1. The electrical bus(?) that is buried down behind the battery. I drove through some still, fresh water (about 500mm deep, 20m wide). Half way through every fault light kicked in, the info system said “suspension lowered”, and the terrain response (which was in sand) defaulted off. I struggled out of the water, fortunately all reset OK on the restart. But the same thing happened one week later, as I was driving on straight tarmac at 60kph.
I went straight to the dealer, the very competent technical manager advised that the electronic stuff down there does not tolerate water at all. He explained that auto detailers regularly hose under the bonnet, and kill this component. It needs to be replaced, at a cost of more than $1,000, and potentially you will be totally stranded.
I don’t know if anything can be be done about this vulnerability, any ideas?

2. The Rear bumber. Many owners probably don’t realise how easy it is to rip this off with the rear departure angle. See &feature=related
Won’t strand you, but easy to do, and an expensive exercise that ruins your day. The only solution I that I know is replacement with a Kaymar steel rear bar.

3. The LR high air filter. Not unreasonably, you would expect to be safer near deep water with this accessory. But the design (air intake, NOT a snorkel) has the potential to be catastrophic via ingesting water.

I can’t wait to hear your experiences…

Post #30031118th May 2008 12:41 pm
catweasel

1. dont exceed the maximum wading depth. others have and had no probs. I dont really think this is an issue apart from the muppet with a hose.
3.refer to point 1.

other things that may spoil your day is a stick through an air bag or one of the air lines being disloged/ruptured by some foreign object. TBH not many have not been able to get home. the exhaust system is suspect but dont know the effects if it gets ripped off, most things appear to be tucked well away.

Post #30031718th May 2008 12:56 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Treat the machine with respect, don't exceed a safe (for vehicle) speeds, read the terrain and don't try anything your even slightly unsure of - unless its critical / or an emergency forces you to drive it.

That way you should be fine.

Mechanically the D3 is very fit and very well designed. Within its operating parameters of course.

Sump guard and RAI are great for extra piece of mind. So are more robust tyres.

TBH, the tyres are probably the most delicate piece of the whole thing... so again, drive with respect and don't take risks.

Post #30032618th May 2008 1:06 pm
Mr Andrew

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks for the good advice. My Cooper ATR LT265/70/17 on LR wheels have been brilliant for the last 35,000km. What action can you take on the track if you're unlucky enough to stake a suspension airbag?

Post #30033118th May 2008 1:14 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

The rear bumper can pop off ....but also usually clips back on easy enough Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #30033218th May 2008 1:15 pm
catweasel

Mr Andrew wrote:
What action can you take on the track if you're unlucky enough to stake a suspension airbag?
I would say none. I cant remember who said they did this to an airbag but try a search. would also say probably very rare and very unlucky.

EDIT: poor memory, it was the covering that was torn http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post297861.html#297861 Embarassed

Post #30033418th May 2008 1:18 pm
warrior22

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Ref the stick through the air bag, I had an issue a week ago where a stick went up through the n/s wheel arch and knocked the height levelling sensor off. Again, not an immediate issue as the vehicle is still drivable. TBH, if you're driving a diesel, you can afford to lose all of your electrics as long as you don't turn the engine off. If you're right in the sheit, the vehicle is expendable as long as it can get you to safety. Other than that, I concur with Simon. Take it easy, and don't be afraid to get out and recce ahead first. Unless, seeing your location, there's a great big salty looking at you 20yrds ahead! Shocked
 Don't be paranoid.........'They' don't like it!!!!!!!
Currently: Land Rover
Previously: Other Land Rovers 

Post #30035818th May 2008 3:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Don't worry about the rear bumper this one screwed back on: Shocked

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic15497.html

I sprayed my electrics with "plasticote"

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic13315.html
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #30051319th May 2008 1:41 am
hernan1304

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Izmir BlueLR3

Shocked I noticed in that pic the spare was moved up to the roof - would the spare in the proper place have prevented the bumper damage?

LeighW wrote:
With due apologies to Dunc in advance (caverD3, you did mention the Dummies series...)

caverD3, I suppose that this is not the method of removal you were looking for; maybe a PDF from GTR?

Post #30052419th May 2008 5:22 am
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

chances are it was the 2nd spare Whistle
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #30052519th May 2008 5:30 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Probably would n't have made a difference. He has still got the plogh attached by the look of it. Shocked
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #30052819th May 2008 6:14 am
tempestv8

Australia 

The Archilles Heel that I have found is that a blown light globe can cause transmission faults! Rolling Eyes

Models
LA - Discovery 3
LS - Range Rover Sport
Title Incorrect or blown stop/side light bulbs causing gearbox faults
Last Modified 05-MAY-2009 12:13
Category Electrical
Symptom 201000 Lighting Systems
Content
Issue
The customer reports engine or gearbox faults after replacement of the stop/side lamp bulbs or the bulb has blown.

Cause
The incorrect bulb has been fitted to the rear lamp stop/side holder. The customer may have fitted a single filament bulb which can be, if forced, inserted in place of a twin filament stop/side lamp bulb. This has been known to cause a number of more significant failures on the vehicle the main one being the gearbox goes into default mode.
Note:
If the bulb has a broken stop/side lamp filament this can also give the same symptoms.

Action
To prevent any unnecessary and expensive repair please carry out a visual check of the brake and side lights before carrying out any further work to the engine and gearbox.
The part number for the stop/side lamp bulb is XZQ000020

Post #53972225th Oct 2009 10:44 am
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

The D3 has so many archilles heels it could be an centipede
 Pete  
Post #53973225th Oct 2009 11:26 am
Stevie D

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I have a similar issue with water and electrics today.

Wading through circa 400mm today for approx 50m when the battery light came on and lost power steering. Once out of water for a few mins all seemed ok.

Water causing a problem somewhere? Will call dealer tomorrow!!

Have posted the issue on technical, one response indicates that the belt may have slipped?

(Also having had complete electrical failure a couple of months ago (alternator failure) I can confirm that engine kept on running - unfortunately it was night so had to stop as no lights)

Post #5440181st Nov 2009 11:33 pm
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

There is a product called LPS1 which I have seen demonstrated to allow a Black and Decker 240v drill to continue functioning underwater, simply by spraying the fluid in through every 'ole in the unit. The guy even held it in his hand.

http://www.lpslabs.com/product_pg/lubricants_pg/LPS1.html

Don't go wading myself, but I'd try this on any vulnerable kit / electrics if I did.

They don't seem to push the electro-waterproofing aspect (it's a WD40 competitor) as much as the lubrication, but it is more hydrophobic than anything I have ever seen. I put some on a gate latch 6 weeks ago and the shiny bit of the soft iron latch hasn't rusted yet... Actually that was LPS2 which has light machine oil added (LPS3 is a marine grade saltwater proof grease) - all with the same hydrophobic quality.
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #5440562nd Nov 2009 1:05 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >