Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Considering another LR 🤔
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
muddywheels4wd

England 
Considering another LR 🤔

Not sure anyone here will remember me apart from Martin (I hope 🤣) or if anyone is still here from back in the day but I’m considering a return to the fold unless I get loads of negative feedback 🤞

I hung up my last LR key 2015 and have had a trouble free period including 2 pretty good Milk Floats (Martin will understand 🤣) but the current Mazda CX60 PHEV has turned out to be a nightmare - I’m currently attempting a rejection but if unsuccessful stand to lose about £20k over 11 months which limits my replacement budget Banging Head

So I’m now thinking it’s time to scratch my Discovery itch again as I need to tow a 2T caravan - still miss my D2 Metropolis Big Cry

What I would like is a low mileage late build fully loaded D4 - Am I crazy Rolling with laughter

I’m aware of the crankshaft lottery from 2 previous RRS and I don’t want to deal with LR so will be looking to use a good Indy - is Disco Mikey still around Bow down

Hopefully some old friends still here - “Hi” if you are Thumbs Up
 Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day! 

Post #237008131st May 2024 12:23 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Nice to see you back, but my suggestion, which is totally what you don't want the hear, would be a Volvo XC90. Cracking car and 90% of a D4 without the pain. Thumbs Up
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #237008231st May 2024 12:27 pm
muddywheels4wd

England 

Hi there - good to see a familiar name - hope you’re well 👋

We talked about the first milk float iirc - would have another if it towed the van and they hadn’t left uk 🤦‍♂️

I was buying a Volvo before the Mazda but AD steered me away 🤣
 Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #237008331st May 2024 12:32 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Laughing

Its surprising how many on here have gone the Volvo route...

Maybe we need a XC90 section... Laughing

D4 Face lifted
V8 Front brakes
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #237008531st May 2024 12:37 pm
muddywheels4wd

England 

AD said his XC90 was great but then he got an XC60 and under Chinese ownership it was awful - he’s got a good X3 now but that’s not big enough to pull the van Banging Head

Not sure if Eaun is still around but saw he had an X5 last time I drove past his Shocked

Post #237008631st May 2024 12:43 pm
gareth71

Wales 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Moo wrote:
Nice to see you back, but my suggestion, which is totally what you don't want the hear, would be a Volvo XC90. Cracking car and 90% of a D4 without the pain. Thumbs Up

I've had a D3 for the last 8 years, a D2 for 4 years before that. At the beginning of last year I was giving some consideration to swapping to a late-build D4 with 'all the trimmings', exactly like you're looking for. Experiences since then have led to a complete change of heart - I wouldn't consider buying another LR of any description now. When I change the D3, it'll almost certainly be for an XC90.

Post #237008931st May 2024 1:00 pm
muddywheels4wd

England 

Hi Gareth 👋

Sorry to read that but mirrors my feelings back in 2015 when I left the brand - I was hoping now I’ve had time to lick my wounds I would be ready to try again and I still get a warm fuzzy feeling when I see a LR - probably because it’s not mine 🤣

Post #237009231st May 2024 1:05 pm
Mr.Pastry

Wales 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Good to see you back here. I think we have chatted on the "milkfloat" forum.
I'm moving on from my two Phev things & seriously considering the Volvo petrol route.
Not looked at the Mazda options.
I'm still lurking here & still love the Discovery 4 but want a smaller car now. Wink
 Mitsubishi Outlander Phev 4H 2018.
Mitsubishi Outlander Phev 4H 2015 - gone.
Discovery 4 HSE - gone.
Discovery 3 S - gone.
Discovery 3 - gone.
Discovery 1 - gone.
Defender 90 300TDI - gone.
Defender 90 200TDI - gone.
Landrover 90 19J - gone.
Argocat 8x8 - gone.
Argocat 6x6 - gone
RR/LR V8 Hybrid 100" - gone.
Rangerover Classic 3.5 - gone.
Series III 2.25- gone.
Series IIa 3.0V6- gone.
Series I - 80" gone. 

Post #237009331st May 2024 1:24 pm
muddywheels4wd

England 

Hi again 👋

After the Mitsy I had a countryman PHEV which was great too but doesn’t tow anything not even a garden trailer 🤦‍♂️

Tim had one too and loved it - not sure if he’s still around 🤞

At home I pay 7.5p kWh but with the price of public chargers and more time towing/away now I’m retired I considered a Touareg V6 petrol last year before the Mazda but joined a group which scared me away - seeing a pattern here 🤣

Post #237009431st May 2024 1:40 pm
MrTed

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

This is quite a scary chat! I’ve now had my D4 (MY16) for a year and a half and love it to pieces. The only work I’ve had done was a belt(s) change just after I got it and new brake lines then a cheeky all underbody Lanoguard but that’s it (& two services).

It does worry me that nearly every time I check these forums there seems to be yet another crank issue, etc which puts the wind up me no end.

I know other manufacturers have their own issues BUT where do you draw the line?
I think at some point you have to take a punt.

The only advice I once took was a couple of years ago when my Jag XF blew its intercooler on the A1 and I asked the recovery AA guy what car he was always called out to and he replied, “Ranger Rover, every time”. I then said, “Not Discovery’s?” (as I’d been thinking about one for a while by then) and he said, “Nope I hardly ever see a Discovery. Look Land Rover chuck all their latest tech into the Range Rover as pretty much a test-bed for all their other vehicle lines. So, they nearly always conk-out with electrical issues and I have to pick them up, especially these new ones with ALL the gizmos and they can’t get replacement parts.”

I’m paraphrasing that conversation a bit as it was a while back and this AA guy may not be the worlds expert on cars but if he recovers Range Rovers most days then I knew not to go for one for the time being. (He did not mention any other car specifically).

Also, around that time my work-friends husband said to me (when I remembered he was a car dealer for 30 years) “Si, get yourself a D4 HSE. Best car (they) ever made”. I then ran-off all the alternatives I had been looking at, X5, XC 90, ML350 or the newer GLE 350 and he shook his head and repeated himself. “Nope, nope & nope. Get the D4 HSE, if you can find one…”.

So, I did.

I really, really hope I have one of the ‘good’ ones in terms of Discovery 4 and that it continues to put a smile on my face for many years to come. As the saying goes:

‘If you don’t look back when walking away from your car, you have the wrong car’…
 Discovery 4 HSE late 2015 Euro6
Jaguar XF Portfolio (PX'd for above)
Mitsubishi Galant V6 (PX'd for above)
Instagram: @mrtedgfx 

Post #237010031st May 2024 2:14 pm
al cope

England 

After having had every model of Disco from D1 200tdi through 300TDi, TD5, D3,D4 and finally D5 I have gone XC90. The only major issue I had was with D5 (2 ltr ingeniboom) which Censored its engine big time. Ok LR replaced it but the love was lost, and I didn’t want another one, or anything else LR were offering. The final bit to swing it for me was the difference in attitude between LR dealers and the Volvo dealers i visited. Service at sales and at servicing has been much better (so far).

I have an XC90 B5D, mild hybrid. It does pretty much everything the D4/D5 did, tows our 1900kg caravan well, is much more economical and very comfortable. Very pleased after 18 months of ownership.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #237010631st May 2024 3:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
muddywheels4wd

England 

MrTed wrote:
This is quite a scary chat! I’ve now had my D4 (MY16) for a year and a half and love it to pieces. The only work I’ve had done was a belt(s) change just after I got it and new brake lines then a cheeky all underbody Lanoguard but that’s it (& two services).

It does worry me that nearly every time I check these forums there seems to be yet another crank issue, etc which puts the wind up me no end.

I know other manufacturers have their own issues BUT where do you draw the line?
I think at some point you have to take a punt.

The only advice I once took was a couple of years ago when my Jag XF blew its intercooler on the A1 and I asked the recovery AA guy what car he was always called out to and he replied, “Ranger Rover, every time”. I then said, “Not Discovery’s?” (as I’d been thinking about one for a while by then) and he said, “Nope I hardly ever see a Discovery. Look Land Rover chuck all their latest tech into the Range Rover as pretty much a test-bed for all their other vehicle lines. So, they nearly always conk-out with electrical issues and I have to pick them up, especially these new ones with ALL the gizmos and they can’t get replacement parts.”

I’m paraphrasing that conversation a bit as it was a while back and this AA guy may not be the worlds expert on cars but if he recovers Range Rovers most days then I knew not to go for one for the time being. (He did not mention any other car specifically).

Also, around that time my work-friends husband said to me (when I remembered he was a car dealer for 30 years) “Si, get yourself a D4 HSE. Best car (they) ever made”. I then ran-off all the alternatives I had been looking at, X5, XC 90, ML350 or the newer GLE 350 and he shook his head and repeated himself. “Nope, nope & nope. Get the D4 HSE, if you can find one…”.

So, I did.

I really, really hope I have one of the ‘good’ ones in terms of Discovery 4 and that it continues to put a smile on my face for many years to come. As the saying goes:

‘If you don’t look back when walking away from your car, you have the wrong car’…

I look back when I leave the Mazda to make sure the boots closed because it opens itself and invites any scumbags in the area to help themselves to the contents - unfortunately words got round and nobody steals the vehicle 🤣

I agree every group is full of owners with issues which makes you wonder what to buy 😳

Anyone who remembers me here will know it took me years to give up on LR despite issues - I kept thinking the next one will be great because they used to be when I started buying them but since TATA not so good ☹️

The amount of members here telling me to buy Volvo I’m wondering if I’m in the right group 🤣

Post #237011231st May 2024 5:38 pm
muddywheels4wd

England 

al cope wrote:
After having had every model of Disco from D1 200tdi through 300TDi, TD5, D3,D4 and finally D5 I have gone XC90. The only major issue I had was with D5 (2 ltr ingeniboom) which Censored its engine big time. Ok LR replaced it but the love was lost, and I didn’t want another one, or anything else LR were offering. The final bit to swing it for me was the difference in attitude between LR dealers and the Volvo dealers i visited. Service at sales and at servicing has been much better (so far).

I have an XC90 B5D, mild hybrid. It does pretty much everything the D4/D5 did, tows our 1900kg caravan well, is much more economical and very comfortable. Very pleased after 18 months of ownership.

Al

Hi Al 👋

Another name I remember from back in the day 😎

After my previous experiences I’d already decided to find an Indy - doesn’t sound like the dealers have improved 🤦‍♂️

Can’t believe how many of you are pushing me down the Volvo route - do they do a group discount 🤣

Post #237011331st May 2024 5:42 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Many have seen the light.......

I still had my XC90 when I bought my Defender. It took me over a month to decide to keep the Defender. Still miss the XC90 though and often wonder if I made the right decision Confused

D4 Face lifted
V8 Front brakes
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #237011631st May 2024 5:58 pm
muddywheels4wd

England 

I do like the new Defender but not the price - I keep looking longingly and thinking if only 🤣

Post #237011731st May 2024 6:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >