Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Buying (and selling) a car in Aus questions.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 
Buying (and selling) a car in Aus questions.

We are looking to do a second trip to Aus, a 6 months trip to see all there is to see within reason. Sorry Australia!! Laughing Laughing

We’ve been trawling through the car rental companies and for the 6 months its looking at ~A$10,000 for hire costs of a small 2WD car, plus top up insurance, for what we’re trying to do but coming up with lots of restrictions. These are typically can’t take the car into or our of WA & NT and can’t go on unsealed roads unless in a 4WD (not allowed in AWD) and 4WDs are way above our budget. Some have restrictions on where you can go, like “banning” sealed parts of Rte1, ok we know there are lots of specified hard core roads that we’d be couldn’t do and don’t have a problem with that.

So we got to thinking. What about buying a car, running it for 6 months then selling it at the end of the trip. We go where we want, when we want and no hassle dealing with rental companies. If we set a budget of $15,000 and sell the car for anything over £6,000 we’d be dollars in. We don’t think we’d have a problem buying the car, however what about selling it, that’s my concern.

Are there any “easy” routes to selling a car, a bit like WeBuyAnyCar in the UK? If we bought a new car are dealers “happy” buying a 6 month old car with prob 23,000kms on the clock? We can buy a new Jazz for $17,500 which would tick all our boxes nicely. We could even buy one in a couple of weeks to save on rentals for the rest of this trip but we’d have to park it up for a few months before we come out in September.

Alternatively buy something for $5,000 and then it doesn’t matter if we can’t sell it, however we’re into old car territory which worries me as my techie super powers are not so super.

The nightmare scenario would be having a flight booked back home and the car still unsold. Are we mad and should be keeping the rental co in the manner etc or is this a flash of geniousness from SWMBO.

Thought oh wise peeps Down Under?

Post #211600427th Jan 2020 7:32 am
robpenrose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Sorry, no real input apart from max the budget out and get a Landcruiser 79 Series Twisted Evil

Click image to enlarge

Current: D4 HSE
Previous: BMW Z4M Coupe
Previous: Land Rover Defender 90 CSW Td5
Previous: Land Rover Discovery Td5 ES 

Post #211600827th Jan 2020 7:51 am
stew 46

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

I would of thought defo buy a car , you are in control of your trip then Thumbs Up
 -------------------------------------------------
if you cant hold on dont let go , it ill come in handy for something even if you never use it.
D3 SE 05,
110 s wagon 300 tdi SOLD
h top transit
crew cab transit
transit connect
ausa dumper, muck truck .
peljob 2.5 digger
06 L 200 crew cab 

Post #211600927th Jan 2020 7:54 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

I’d buy a banger, then if it goes Censored up, it’s easier to swallow the loss. Likewise if you can’t flog it at the end of the trip, you could leave it in the airport car park with the keys in the ignition. Anything else is a risk. Thumbs Up

Post #211601027th Jan 2020 7:59 am
Ivan

United Kingdom 

You could try people like these https://www.sellmycar.com.au/
I sold my cars (when I lived in AUS) via Carsales.com.au
Cars in Aus do tend to hold up their prices much better than in the UK.

HTH

Ivan
 2013 RR Vogue SE SDV8
2013 Freelander 2 HSE Luxury SD4 

Post #211601127th Jan 2020 8:08 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Cheers Ivan, just what I’m looking for. Bow down Bow down Resisting the urge to see how much my hire car is worth. Laughing Laughing

TD, SWMBO’s all for buying a really cheap old Jazz, maybe a couple of thousand A$, but I’m a bit risk adverse. I’m thinking of a car at least in manufacturer’s warranty so if it breaks we can get it fixed for free. Hopefully.

Post #211601727th Jan 2020 8:30 am
garrycol

Australia 

I hope you appreciate that mainland Australia is a Federation of 6 independent states and two Territories and all have their own registration and it can be hard to sell a car in one state that is registered in another state as the buyer has to go through all the hassle of changing registration.

So the first thing related to buying a car is try to enter and leave the country in the same state or alternatively intend to buy and sell in the same state.

Our terrorists in Australia are European backpackers and their crap vehicles - they often buy at special spots and try and sell in special spots - so research the backpacker culture and find out where these spots are.

In just about all jurisdictions a MOT is required to change the registration and you can guarantee a backpacker selling will not have one though a private Aussie seller may have. When you go to sell it will be easier to sell with a valid MOT and in some states it is illegal to sell a registered vehicle without a MOT so if there (QLD comes to mind) you will need to remove the registration if you have no MOT. Also some states require MOTs once per year and others do not - it can be problematic if you are in WA but have a NSW rego vehicle as NSW requires an MOT and it is almost impossible to get this done in another state.

My recommendation would buy from a Aussie private seller in the same state you are going to sell in. Beware of the issues associated with NSW rego vehicles and getting a MOT when rego is reviewed, maybe when halfway through your trip - as you may (not will) have to go back to NSW.

Garry

Post #211601927th Jan 2020 8:39 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Cheers Garry, that’s all food for thought. Why are these things not simple? Big Cry

We’d be going in and out via Perth so that should make changing state registration a non problem, plus from what we’ve read it’s easier to sell out of WA as it’s all done on-line. We’d make sure we got a car with an MOT. Thumbs Up

And we haven’t even started to figure out where we could register the car. Hopefully the dealer/garage would let us register it there, not an option for a private sale.

Post #211602127th Jan 2020 8:49 am
DSL

Ukraine 

robpenrose wrote:
Sorry, no real input apart from max the budget out and get a Landcruiser 79 Series Twisted Evil

Click image to enlarge

Lots and lots and lots of similar around here, though that one looks especially nice. Anyone want a kidney? Whistle Whistle

Post #211602227th Jan 2020 8:50 am
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

There’s easier ways to make money Del. I was going to give you a Deliverance quote, but have better taste. Wink

Post #211603227th Jan 2020 9:19 am
robpenrose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

DSL wrote:
robpenrose wrote:

Click image to enlarge

Lots and lots and lots of similar around here, though that one looks especially nice. Anyone want a kidney? Whistle Whistle

If you want to go and spec one up:

https://pcor4x4.com/aus/landcruiser%2079.php

Current: D4 HSE
Previous: BMW Z4M Coupe
Previous: Land Rover Defender 90 CSW Td5
Previous: Land Rover Discovery Td5 ES 

Post #211603527th Jan 2020 9:28 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Post #211603727th Jan 2020 9:35 am
DSL

Ukraine 

PS Just thought re the issue of tickets. If I’ve got the car registered at, say, a hotel, I’d never know if I’d received a ticket. I can’t see any way, certainly in WA, of checking on line.

Post #211605527th Jan 2020 10:09 am
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Why not buy a D3/4 and strip it for parts when you've finished with it ? Whistle

Post #211605627th Jan 2020 10:12 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Only 10kg hand baggage allowance. Whistle Whistle

Good thinking though. Laughing Laughing

Post #211606427th Jan 2020 10:30 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >