DISCO3.CO.UK > Africa

Big disappointment at end of first trip with new D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Richard SA

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Hi Deon

Sorry to hear about your happenings.

When you floor it and it starts loosing power does it smoke ? I am asking since I had the same problem on my previous DII and after long diag by the dealer, they eventually changed the airflow meter. It did not report an error Banging Head yet when they replaced it it was all fixed. Bow down Yet my DII smoked when it happened and had all the signs of a problem on the Turbo.

Please let us know what the outcome is and if you could post some pic of the different filter and where the dam thing is, it would be great.
 White LR3 TDV6 2007  
Post #1758759th Jul 2007 6:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The change in filter specification and location came about with the 07MY, the new filter is a screw-on type and incorporates a water sensor. it's located above the front edge of the fuel tank adjacent to the gearbox and is protected by a heat / $h1t shield. Although the new filter is shorter than the old type, it has a much larger diameter so there's no reason to think the usable surface area is significantly lower...

Post #1758879th Jul 2007 6:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
IronMan

South Africa 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

10forcash, does the new filter fit (work) on older models (05?). I'm very interested in the water sensor feature.

With the dirty Diesel we sometimes get travelling in Africa (and water) how difficult is it to replace it one self?

Post #1759339th Jul 2007 8:52 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Nope, the wirings not there Sad

Post #1759479th Jul 2007 9:15 pm
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Hi 10

Do you have any documentation on changing the filter on an 06 model

Thanks
Heine

Post #17611910th Jul 2007 7:50 am
Richard SA

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Heine

Is this a Midrand thing? Rolling with laughter

This feature was only from of 07.

Sorry had to Very Happy
 White LR3 TDV6 2007  
Post #17617710th Jul 2007 9:39 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

10forcash wrote:
Nope, the wirings not there Sad

Could you wire it to an LED on the dash if the sensor is there there must be some sort of signal or switch?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #17618810th Jul 2007 9:54 am
heine

Sorry guys , what I meant to say was , where would I find and how would I replace the filter with the same type , should I need to do it in the bush .

Post #17632310th Jul 2007 1:49 pm
catweasel

you need to remove the 6 bolts from the trans undershield, then undo the bolt holding the filter and remove the fuel filter bracket
hose connections are
1 yellow connector
2 white connector
3 large blue connector
4 small blue connector

it should be next to the chassis rail on the right hand side.

Post #17633310th Jul 2007 2:12 pm
heine

Ta muchly Catweasel

Post #17633710th Jul 2007 2:23 pm
Herman

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I know of a brand new 05 D3 that had a similar problem, it was caused by a factory defect of the variable geometry turbo fans, a new turbo was fitted and that solved the problem

Post #17634510th Jul 2007 2:48 pm
heine

Herman wrote:
I know of a brand new 05 D3 that had a similar problem, it was caused by a factory defect of the variable geometry turbo fans, a new turbo was fitted and that solved the problem

Shh don't scare Deon any more - he is already looking at a Patrol Laughing

Post #17636310th Jul 2007 3:34 pm
heine

If we could place bets on the problem , I would put money on a defective fuel pump or air mass meter

Post #17636410th Jul 2007 3:35 pm
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Update

Collected vehicle yesterday afternoon and this is the status. All diagnostics point to the fuel filter not letting enough diesel through at high engine speeds. They fitted a filter from similar model and proved to be 100%. The blocked filter was then cleaned and re-fitted as they do not have this new type filter in stock. Once the new filters have arrived they will install it - and I will be watching with great interest, I will also carry the cleaned one and a new one with me on future trips (over kill ??)

To complicate matters the new type filters come in two different types and the only difference is the connectors on top which cannot be seen without removing the thing. So do not assume that you have the correct spare filter because the shape and colour is the same.

I am traveling to Nelspruit over the week-end and will test the vehicle thoroughly. So if anyone sees an abandoned silver D3 on the N4 over the week-end - just get inside and help yourself - the keys will be there !!

Although (slightly) relieved - I still have a big concern over the fact that a 6000 km old vehicle could get its fuel filter blocked after 4000 km of tar roads and "clean" diesel and only 2000 km of a chance of dirty diesel.

As soon as I receive the the new filters I will post pictures and part numbers - but to emphasise - make sure you have the correct filter for your specific model. And as usual all the service staff and dealer principle of Sandton LR have not experienced or heard of this problem (blocked filter) on any D3 up to now.

Heine - I am now eyeing a new spec D3 V8 - fitting long range tank may be better than all the filter replacements on a diesel over the long run ???

Post #17664711th Jul 2007 6:52 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Is it possible to place an in line filter which is easier to get to and clean as a pe cleaner for the main one?

This a one known issue:
Quote:
LA303-019 Discovery 3/LR3 - Rough Engine Idle after Cold Start
A customer may report a concern that the engine idle quality is poor for 10 to 25 seconds after starting from cold for the first time during the day. No poor idle or power loss is experienced after the first initial cold start of the day and all other engine starts of the day, whether the engine is warm or hot, do not result in the same poor idle quality.

Cause: Contamination (debris/dirt or corrosion) in the fuel injectors affects injector spray and delivery rate. Contamination ingress can occur during various operations such as vehicle maintenance or repair and running on contaminated fuel. An injector with damaged internal sealing will also result in unmetered fuel entering the intake manifold.
Action: Should a customer express concern regarding the above, refer to the Diagnostic Procedure detailed in this bulletin to establish the root cause of the issue.
Diagnostic Procedure
1 . Check with the vehicle owner/user that only diesel fuel to the correct specification or automotive gas oil to EN590 with a maximum 5% biofuel is being used. If an incorrect fuel is being used: 1 . Drain the fuel tank. For additional information, refer to Global Technical Reference (GTR) Discovery 3/LR3 Workshop Manual Section 310-00, Fuel Tank Draining (19.55.02).
2 . Renew the fuel filter. For additional information, refer to Global Technical Reference (GTR) Discovery 3/LR3 Workshop Manual Section 310-01C, Fuel Filter Element (19.25.02).
3 . Fill with the correct specification fuel.
4 . Re-test the vehicle. If the problem is resolved, no further action is required. If the problem still exists, continue to the next step.
2 . Check the fuel in the vehicle for abnormal discoloration. If the fuel is discoloured: 1 . Drain the fuel tank. For additional information, refer to Global Technical Reference (GTR) Discovery 3/LR3 Workshop Manual Section 310-00, Fuel Tank Draining (19.55.02).
2 . Renew the fuel filter. For additional information, refer to Global Technical Reference (GTR) Discovery 3/LR3 Workshop Manual Section 310-01C, Fuel Filter Element (19.25.02).
3 . Fill with the correct specification fuel.
4 . Re-test the vehicle. If the problem is resolved, no further action is required. If the problem still exists, continue to the next step. 3 . NOTE: DO NOT REJECT a set of injectors if the flow rate values are even, but outside of the expected values. The actual injector spill return rate will be affected by fuel rail pressure and fuel temperature. Only reject the injectors with much higher spill return than the others. Experience shows the flow will be very high on failed injectors and will fill the test bottle within two minutes.

Complete an injector balance test and injector spill test using the test limit data below and renew the injectors as necessary. For additional information, refer to Global Technical Reference (GTR) Discovery 3/LR3 Workshop Manual Section 303-04C, Injector Balance/Spill Test (19.90.0.)

Injector Balance Test Values and Injector Spill Test Return Flow Rates
NOTE: Injector balance limits are 970 to 1.3K (Renew any injector outside this limit). Injectors with a balance value outside of 960 to 1.4K will cause a DTC to be logged.

Maybe the old filters were not up to scratch? Did you hav a problem at idle
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #17665711th Jul 2007 7:57 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >