DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

battery / air suspension problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
whittymonster

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
battery / air suspension problems

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone can help with this problem. Yesterday after driving about 20 miles in my 2005 SE (106k miles) D3 i stopped at a filling station to fill up. After paying and returning to the vehicle when i tried to start it the hazard lights started flashing, central locking closed and unclosed a couple of times and the engine wouldn't start. it would not even tick over. There was a strange smell coming from the bonnet in the vicinity of the battery, kind of like a smell you would get if doing some soldering.

Stranded on the forecourt (5.45pm in the evening!!) i called an emergency breakdown service who were able to jump the battery (which is no greater than 3 years old) and get me moving. however the following warning lights came up on the dash: break warning (red), dsc / traction control, air suspension, abs (all amber). Also "HDC system fault suspension lowered" message. The vehicle is now permanently locked at the lowered suspension. i brought the vehicle to a local garage where they checked the battery. they told me that the battery needed to be recharged fully and that this would not be possible by just driving alone.

fearful that the battery my drain again I borrowed a new battery from a car factor but the warning lights and lowered suspension still remain. This morning i brought the vehicle to a local garage to see if they could run a diagnostics (no T4 equipment as no LR dealer nearby) but he came up with the following fault codes:
u0416 invalid data recieved from vehicle dynamics control module
u0401 invalid data recieved from engine control module powertrain control module
u1A13 lost communication with all terrain control module
c1A77 valve relay supply circuit

So what I'm wondering is:
- how would the power in my battery discharge so soon after the vehicle had been driving
- what could the problem potentially be?
- is there any way for me to manually reset the vehicle to get the air suspension operating again?
- is it safe for me to continue driving the vehicle at the lowered suspension setting (seems to be a fair bit of heat coming from underneath the front wheel arches)?
- Would a dead / faulty battery cause all of the warning lights listed above to come on?

A lot of questions I know but would really appreciate any advice you have to offer.

Thanks

Confused

Post #9720871st Sep 2012 2:42 pm
sarumlight

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

My guess would be the alternator isn't charging properly?

Post #9720961st Sep 2012 2:59 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Re: battery / air suspension problems

whittymonster wrote:
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone can help with this problem. Yesterday after driving about 20 miles in my 2005 SE (106k miles) D3 i stopped at a filling station to fill up. After paying and returning to the vehicle when i tried to start it the hazard lights started flashing, central locking closed and unclosed a couple of times and the engine wouldn't start...

Sounds like a can-bus issue, preventing the car from starting.

A flat battery would not cause this, and is more than likely just sheer coincidence the car started with a jump start

Once the car is up and running again, the suspension should function properly until, or if, the fault returns again.
All the warning lights have come on because each ECU on the car cannot communicate with each other, and logs faults.

Unfortunately, tracking down a can-bus wiring issue can be a very long and laborious procedure.

Has the car had any work done recently? It may be something as simple as a loose connection somewhere
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #9720971st Sep 2012 3:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
whittymonster

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Disco Mike,
the most recent work carried out was replacing the condenser for the air conditioning system.

does anyone know if it is still safe to drive the vehicle as my nearest landrover dealer is some distance away???

cheers

Post #9721531st Sep 2012 6:04 pm
Sean007

did you ever fix the problem having similar problems

Post #210862726th Dec 2019 8:26 pm
ambrown31

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3
C1A77 Valve relay supply circuit

I am getting the C1A77 Valve relay supply circuit code. Did you figure that one out?

Post #216424329th Jul 2020 2:35 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >