Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Air Compressors
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Pelyma

England 

OOOh you sound like my wife!! It will blow up tyres much more quickly and more of them, but you've got me there Embarassed I guess the same reason I bought a D3 really, never likley to use its full potential but you never know Wink On the face of it I probably don't need it, but for £20 more I have one that should I decide to do something a bit more adventerous I don't have to fork out more money.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #7180620th Jul 2006 5:22 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

catweasel wrote:
would there be room to fit one of these or similar underbonnet perhaps where the pre heater would've been. (Aussie spec doesn't have it)
there should be room... but the heat might be a problem as most of the unit is aluminium alloy with teflon piston rings.  
Post #7181520th Jul 2006 6:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

here's a photo of the comparison chart I referred to earlier

Just goes to show there's more to consider than max. psi Wink

Post #7183020th Jul 2006 8:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Pelyma, another thing that I have seen here in Australia on Fraser Island is that some offroaders use the spare as a 'storage tank'. They put about 100 psi in the spare and then use a simple hose with valve connectors to bring the tyres (that have been lowered for the sand) back up to road pressures.

But the underslung D3 spare doesn't lend itself well to that method. Maybe if there was a flexible attachment to the spare that hung down and you could get at it without having to drop the spare. Suppose the Kaymar rear wheel carrier would solve that one.

Just some thoughts on an alternative.
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #7186220th Jul 2006 9:23 pm
Pelyma

England 

Cheers Leigh, but I've done the deed, Mrs is talking again Wink

Post #7189320th Jul 2006 9:54 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Didn't intend to sound "wife like", crikey I'd be rich if I didn't spend all my money on cars & modifications to them. Just wondered if a) Cheap inflators were worthless & b) If it had other uses such as powering tools.
I like to keep the weight & bulk of in car kit to a minimum, but I guess that's because my motoring background is performance biased.
Anyway, look forward to hearing how it performs.

Post #7192820th Jul 2006 11:28 pm
catweasel

10forcash wrote:
there should be room... but the heat might be a problem as most of the unit is aluminium alloy with teflon piston rings.

was thinking along the lines of this unit
as I have seen them under bonnets before and then they route a permanent hose to the rear and also have a fitting in the engine bay and with my memory (or lack of) I would probably leave it at home, just space is the only concern.

Post #7193221st Jul 2006 1:42 am
catweasel

LeighW wrote:
Pelyma, another thing that I have seen here in Australia on Fraser Island is that some offroaders use the spare as a 'storage tank'.

I've also read somewhere that you can use your sidestep tubing and what other tubing (nudge bar) you have as alternative storage tanks.

Post #7193621st Jul 2006 7:26 am
10forcash

difficult to tell from the photo, it looks like the ViAir / T-Max units so it should fit... although probably upside down Shocked

Are you serious? there's f Censored wits out there using bull bars and side tubes as air receivers Shocked Shocked Shocked Thud

Post #7193721st Jul 2006 7:35 am
Pelyma

England 

No offence LT! From what I have read cheaper compressors are very innaccurate, they tend to be marketed on their PSI rating, which is really of little use, it is the amount of air they output that is more useful. I wouldn't say the others are worthless but I'd rather buy a better one and if you were doing Morrocco type trips you might want better still.

I don't think the weight will be too much of an issue, I tend to keep a trolley jack in the car most the time, especially when towing the caravan and a couple of extra kilos will make no difference!

Post #7195021st Jul 2006 8:36 am
christyler

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Viair Compressors

I fitted a Viair 400c with a 2.5 gallon tank, it works great. I always have enough air to pump tyres or inflate an air jack.
I fitted a PLC connector to the rear of the D3 so i just plug in an air line and "instant Air".
 CLUB "Ah Shor it'll be grand"

First D3 in the World with a Hydraulic Winch.
2006 Disco 3 TDV6 S Auto,
Diff Locks, Turbochipped, Raised Air Intake, 220volts Onboard, Onboard Compressor, Large Bore Exahust, Underbody Protection, One or two Other Mods as well.
Other toys include, Argo Avenger 8x8, Tatra 6x6 Motorhome (Being Built) 

Post #7199121st Jul 2006 11:11 am
10forcash

Chris, where did you mount the compressor & receiver?

Post #7199421st Jul 2006 11:14 am
christyler

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Mounting

Ah well i have an Irish spec commercial D3 so there is a big space where the rear seats and footwell used to be. I have fitted all my goodies in there, PC, Sub bass amps/speakers, compressor/tank and still had room for the ground anchor and straps etc. I basicly tore out the box they make to fill the space and made a new one to hold all the goodies out of wood, i am just waiting to finnish it with some matching carpet, it looks abit bare at the moment. I will post pictures in my gallery later.

if you are looking for a place to mount a compressor and tank, check out the space behind the left hand trim panel, over the rear passenger side wheel, i mounted a huge inverter in here, i think the viair 2.5 g tank might just fit, if not you could get a custom one made using a bit of 3" Dia steel pipe, that would fit.
 CLUB "Ah Shor it'll be grand"

First D3 in the World with a Hydraulic Winch.
2006 Disco 3 TDV6 S Auto,
Diff Locks, Turbochipped, Raised Air Intake, 220volts Onboard, Onboard Compressor, Large Bore Exahust, Underbody Protection, One or two Other Mods as well.
Other toys include, Argo Avenger 8x8, Tatra 6x6 Motorhome (Being Built) 

Post #7199821st Jul 2006 11:28 am
10forcash

Cheers for that Thumbs Up
I had a transit once that I fitted a couple of truck air tanks to - mounted underneath, I was considering doing the same with the D3.... just need to find somewhere to mount the compressor Confused

Post #7200021st Jul 2006 11:32 am
catweasel

10forcash wrote:
Are you serious?
absolutetly. we have pipes at work which are used as air canons in a dedusting system and their pressures are far greater than these air comps could ever hope to produce. they are just ordinary water pipe. I dont see how any of these compressors could ever have enough oomph to damage the piping in sidesteps unless they're made of foil.  
Post #7200221st Jul 2006 11:40 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >