Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

-6° and missfire on startup
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Pretty siure my diesel waxed the other morning started just fine but no revs at all and idled at 4/500 rpm with alt light flashing, after a minute or two running and some warm fuel going back through the system it picked up and ran fine.
Tank was down to a 1/4 and it was morrisons fuel, so last night derved up with some posh premium diesel and now the weather has warmed up!

Post #19210472nd Mar 2018 8:29 am
grillphil

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

For every full tank of diesel I add 100ml of Archoil AR6900-D Max to help clean the injectors and the whole fuel system. Been using it for 10 month's and makes the engine much smoother.
It seems I have a few things to check before coming to any conclusions and opening the wallet too soon Crying or Very sad

Also, I fitted a new battery last week as the old one was 6 years old and was discharging enough so as not to turn the engine over after having the doors open for 30-40 mins with the interior lights on Confused

Post #19210502nd Mar 2018 8:40 am
Ben4

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

That’s interesting.
Anyone else using Archoil AR6900-D Max or similar?
 formerly Disco3Ben

2016 D4, Santorini Black
2007 D3, Black - sold 

Post #19210572nd Mar 2018 9:29 am
grillphil

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I have a IID BT so can test the performance of the injectors but is there a "How To" as I cannot find it on here?

Advice would be appreciated Wink

Post #19210662nd Mar 2018 9:50 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Get the car properly warmed up, plug in IID & connect your phone/tablet/pooters to it, go into live values, select the 6 injector values in numerical order, keep car at idle, screenprint your phone/tablet/widget. Simples.

Will give you something like this. Anything this far from 1,000 as some of these would be an issue. Also, while you're in there, check for faults & email to yourself. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Post #19210762nd Mar 2018 10:08 am
grillphil

Thumbs Up DSL.

I'll post my findings.

Post #19210782nd Mar 2018 10:11 am
Parky63

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I'm not daft enough to take on a stalwart of this fantastic forum like DSL, however........
Back last year my 12 year D3 with 114k miles would refuse to start at +2C on Tesco fuel + 2SO even using Robbie's give it 30 seconds with the ignition on (repeat a couple of times) then turn the engine over. Glow plugs checked - FUBAR'd injector readings NOT checked. Change over to BP fuel and started yesterday at -4C. Struggled a bit one cylinder firing then 2 and ran quite lumpy for a minute but she started.
Just my tuppence. Why don't we have a ducking below the parapet emoji?

David
 2006 D3 HSE Buckingham Blue
Silicone Intercooler Pipe
MAP Sensor cleaned
N/S Drain Tube Elbow 

Post #19210972nd Mar 2018 10:52 am
Desmodromic

France 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 3
Glowplugs

1. not all supermarket fuel is the same of course...gelling problem preventing starting (i.e. firing) is a regular in the Alps with all makes of car due supermarket fuel from South of France. Garages down in the valleys now have the flushing process down to a fine art. Filling with Total Excellium or similar solves that before going up to the ski station.

2. Glowplugs - certainly got 2, maybe now 3, duff. 2 used to be enough to get the motor going with an initial misfire. Now symptoms are just relay clicking (like dead battery but it's a BIG new one) when temp is <+5 degrees. Repeatedly energizing glowplugs then repeatedly turning key 5-10 times will finally activate starter and engine starts fine (lumpily of course at first). This behaviour (needing to turn key repeatedly) usually indicates corroded starter segments (brushes not making good contact) but starter replaced. Injectors checked too. Oh, and ignition barrel itself though relay wouldn't click if this were culprit. Starting when warm = perfect.
Am aware of Technical bulletins re poor cold starting and software upgrade advised by LR but since there are several plugs out there will remain an issue despite this 'fix', if it is one. Perhaps the temp sensor (oil or coolant or even block??) is telling the plug relay or ECU not to turn starter?? Have trouble believing this. Anyway, used to start fine in sub-zero temps. Finally, FBH upgrade, whilst very nice to have and would 'fix' the problem for me is not actually the real solution here

So, after months of research I've reluctantly come to conclusion that I need to change a couple of plugs minimum. With care, patience (and ultrasound?) we might be ok....after all, lots of people have to go through this with the D3/4. But we'll play safe and only go for the dead plugs.
 D2 Td5 (most unreliable car of 21 I've owned but still a dear old thing)
D3 TDV6 (most reliable car - er, till this winter)
+ Alfa Gt, Fiat 500 & LDV Maxus 

Post #19211192nd Mar 2018 11:39 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Des - If that was my car I would be temporally connecting an additional wire upto the starter motor into the battery box.

Fit a fully insulated red crocodile clip or drill a hole in the side of the battery box plastic and fit one of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-Push-button...SwY~1aJQOV

connected to battery +

When you have the problem you can open the bonnet and hold the button (or touch clip to battery+) and see if the starter functions correctly.

Almost start it like an old car Laughing

If it still messes around the starter needs replacing again.

Post #19211562nd Mar 2018 12:36 pm
Gazellio

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Why not fit a remote FBH kit?

Post #19211612nd Mar 2018 12:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
grillphil

Here are my injector results.

Faults will follow......
[/img]

Post #19211912nd Mar 2018 1:19 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Not too bad, said as a non-techie and compared with my readings when I was getting restricted injector faults. Thumbs Up

Post #19211942nd Mar 2018 1:22 pm
Desmodromic

France 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 3

Gazellio @ Prestige Cars wrote:

If I were keeping the car then yes but when you sell a car in France it's not a buyer beware situation - if they can show you must have been aware of the problem then you're (technically at least) responsible for up to 6 months. In same way you can't sell a car (except under certain narrow circumstances) without an MOT. Covering myself by selling with a mechanical warranty isn't the solution here either (more expensive, less 'exploitable' than in UK). Bet you're glad you're a dealer in the UK!
 D2 Td5 (most unreliable car of 21 I've owned but still a dear old thing)
D3 TDV6 (most reliable car - er, till this winter)
+ Alfa Gt, Fiat 500 & LDV Maxus 

Post #19212022nd Mar 2018 1:31 pm
grillphil

Twas the same this morning after cycling the ignition & glow plugs 4 times and it was only -2°C.

One thing I'm glad of that there is no smoke (white, blue or black) whatsoever, only some condensation that's to be expected.

Perhaps I'm being paranoid thinking it could be a more serious issue Rolling Eyes

Post #19212032nd Mar 2018 1:32 pm
grillphil

Desmodromic wrote:
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars wrote:

If I were keeping the car then yes but when you sell a car in France it's not a buyer beware situation - if they can show you must have been aware of the problem then you're (technically at least) responsible for up to 6 months. In same way you can't sell a car (except under certain narrow circumstances) without an MOT. Covering myself by selling with a mechanical warranty isn't the solution here either (more expensive, less 'exploitable' than in UK). Bet you're glad you're a dealer in the UK!

Bloody hell Des. Best we stick to this side of the pond!

Post #19212062nd Mar 2018 1:34 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >