Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Why won't it start in the cold
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4
Why won't it start in the cold

I know this is not a Nissan forum before I get any smart comments, but couldn't find any help on other websites. What would stop a diesel engine starting properly in cold weather, especially when the glow light has gone out and the battery is fully charged.

Every morning when we try to start the Qashqai 2.0dCi (Renault engine not Nissan Rolling Eyes ), it takes 4 or 5 attempts to get it going and then it sounds rough as anything. Once it is started once, even if only for 30 seconds it will start first time the rest of the day. This makes it difficult for the dealer to fault find.

Post #3962944th Jan 2009 9:23 am
simonsi

New Zealand 

Classic glowplug circuit failure symptom.

Forget the light, that is probably put on by the electronics, you need to see if there is 12V at the glowplugs when there should be, ie first cold start of the day. If there is then meter each glowplug and check it isn't open circuit etc etc

Can't believe a dealer is struggling with this??? Have they had it overnight and tried a cold start?
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #3962954th Jan 2009 9:31 am
buellbeast

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I'm assuming you've tried checking the heater plugs?

edit: simonsi beat me to it.

Maybe worth changing them anyway if power is getting to them. There about £5 each usually.

Last edited by buellbeast on 4th Jan 2009 9:33 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #3962964th Jan 2009 9:31 am
UNG

United Kingdom 

You don't say how old the vehicle is and I am not familier with this engine, but I have loads of problems with a zafira when the leak off pipes from the injectors are begining to fail and the hard to start in the morning and easy for the rest of the day are exactly the same symptoms. I usually change the leak off pipes every 12 months now HTH
 "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag'em down to your level. It's cheaper".  
Post #3962974th Jan 2009 9:32 am
pom

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

reminds me of an old bedford pick up i used to have .....

Only used half a can of easystart most mornings Whistle

Pom

Post #3962984th Jan 2009 9:36 am
UNG

United Kingdom 

simonsi wrote:

Not on a Vauxhall Zafira 2.0 DTi ! see my Previous post, I thought glowplugs at first and changed all heater plugs and it had no effect if anything it made it worse cause I'd moved the leak off pipes.
Post #3962994th Jan 2009 9:39 am
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

To be fair to the dealer they haven't had it overnight as we haven't had a chance so I am not critical of them. It is going in next week for a more detailed look. The car is about 16 months old with 15K miles on it, so there is warranty, it's just a bit of a pain having to take it 40 miles to the dealer (unfortunately the local one has gone bust in this bad climate, shame as it was an old well respected dealership).

If I can reach the glow plugs I will stick a meter on them this morning and see if we have power, the glow light goes off within 1-2 seconds, which I think is quick at -2. The D3 in comparison takes about 8 or 9 seconds.

Post #3963004th Jan 2009 9:41 am
simonsi

New Zealand 

countrywide wrote:
...the glow light goes off within 1-2 seconds, which I think is quick at -2. The D3 in comparison takes about 8 or 9 seconds.

Ah more detail! If the light is going off quickly - and that does sound quick - possibly the ambient temp sensor is up the swanny or the engine temp sensor, if either indicate a false higher than actual reading the the electronics will turn the heaters off early.
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #3963014th Jan 2009 9:54 am
simonsi

New Zealand 

UNG wrote:
simonsi wrote:

Not on a Vauxhall Zafira 2.0 DTi ! see my Previous post, I thought glowplugs at first and changed all heater plugs and it had no effect if anything it made it worse cause I'd moved the leak off pipes.

"Classic" doesn't mean "right in each and every case".

I'd still check the glowplug circuit before the leakoff pipes every time...on any engine Very Happy
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #3963024th Jan 2009 9:56 am
countrywide

Didn't even think about temperature sensor, but it would make sense. In summer the glow light doesn't even come on at all.

I will go and have a look now and see how quick it goes off now at -3.

Thanks Thumbs Up

Post #3963034th Jan 2009 9:57 am
countrywide

It's having a melt down this morning, the airbag light is stuck on now as well Sad . Thought it could be low voltage but the battery seems fine and the car turns over really quickly. Also if you look through the charge indicatow window on the battery it is green.

Trip to garage for it I think.

Post #3967575th Jan 2009 11:18 am
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

starting problems could be as simple as dodgy diesel waxing up Shocked . The D3 turned over for a good 5 seconds or more on Saturday Morning at -4 with Tesco Diesel. I filled up saturday evening with Shell and on sunday morning at -3 it started immedeatly. I know "modern" diesel has lots of additives but maybe the supermarkets have less added to their stock ? (if thats what you use)
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #3967615th Jan 2009 11:22 am
countrywide

It has Shell diesel as we have a Shell credit card with 3p off a litre and it is the most local garage.

I think it may voltage issue's, which caused the airbag to go mad now. The light is flashing away now all the time.

Dealer said to pop in later and they would plug it in to see what was happening.

Post #3967945th Jan 2009 1:06 pm
UNG

United Kingdom 

countrywide wrote:
the battery seems fine and the car turns over really quickly.

Thats exactly what happened to the wifes Zafira , engine turns over quickly but takes an age to start once started starts all day no problem

The fault was the leak off pipes seems to be a problem with the modern diesel engine but has not been an issue for long enough to be a "classic" fault, when somebody suggested this was the fault (he was an ex vauxhall tech who said they were baffled when they first had to cure this starting problem) I didn't believe it but leak off pipes changed engine fired first turn of the key and starting reliability was back. It is something to do with the pipe becoming porus even if the pipe looks ok visually it is worth changing them
Post #3968075th Jan 2009 1:50 pm
pom

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

countrywide wrote:
Didn't even think about temperature sensor, but it would make sense. In summer the glow light doesn't even come on at all.

I will go and have a look now and see how quick it goes off now at -3.

Thanks Thumbs Up

You can also try forcing a longer glow plug operation. Turn on ignition, wait till light goes out. Turn off. Repeat. Do it for 10 secs of glow plug operation and see if she starts.

Pom

Post #3968105th Jan 2009 1:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >