DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Windscreen replacement leaking-tech says roof -advice please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
stick

United Kingdom 2010 LR4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueLR4
Windscreen replacement leaking-tech says roof -advice please

Hi,

I had a replacement fitted by Autoglass with new fixings 3 weeks ago. In rain last night it was leaking drivers side top corner. Autoglass here now, have taken screen off, and said it looks fine. Says maybe leaking in from top rails and running down inside body to front. Has anyone heard of that? There are some caps in the rails over bolt heads that are cracked. Could that do it? Thanks
 d4 HSE  
Post #11986026th Dec 2013 4:30 pm
al cope

England 

thats BullSh!t - there is no access to the inside of the car from behind the rails (they dont bolt through to the inside of the car)

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #11986046th Dec 2013 4:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stick

thanks Al

Do I not need to replace those caps then?

I just poured some water down the front sunroof drain to check that, and it was fine. Running out of ideas....
 d4 HSE  
Post #11986106th Dec 2013 5:31 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

Did they replace the A pillar clips and seals - a must do when a new screen fitted

Post #11986156th Dec 2013 5:45 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Autoglass replaced mine a few weeks ago and the screen dropped on drivers side before the glue had stuck. Not leaking but gap at top of screen where rubber should be flush with roof. Trying to get them back to fit again.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #11986206th Dec 2013 5:57 pm
stick

Hi Adam

Yes they replaced all the fixings, and have replaced them again when refitted the windscreen. Guess I will be out there with the hose tomorrow!
 d4 HSE  
Post #11986396th Dec 2013 6:34 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

al cope wrote:
thats BullSh!t - there is no access to the inside of the car from behind the rails (they dont bolt through to the inside of the car)

Al

Al have a look at this post and I think you will see that in principal the bolts do go right through, take a look at the first ew posts and the pictures with them.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic53587.h...of+cracked
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #11986436th Dec 2013 6:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
al cope

England 

Russ - I didnt think they did, but those pics certainly show it. I still dont think thats this OP's issue, as unless he's extended roof rails, he wont have a bolt in the hole that furthest forward, and even thats quite a way back from the screen.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker

Post #11989537th Dec 2013 1:41 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Al I agree I do not think that the rail fittings are the issue, my money is on a poorly fitted screen or A post trims damaged when removing/re-fitting.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #11990757th Dec 2013 7:52 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

had three windscreens, two in the past 12 months.....latest one leaks on the inside front passenger side at the top....was going to get it redone but bleedin thing cracked last week Censored ...new one being installed next Wednesday Thumbs Up

Post #11991607th Dec 2013 10:13 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Have Autoglass removed and replaced the screen or did they just take off the trim and look?
Had mine replaced after an accident and a while later it started to leak at the top.
Had them remove and replace the screen, once it was cut you could see where it wasn't sealed; sealant had a serpentine gap where it hadn't closed.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #11991667th Dec 2013 10:21 pm
stick

Toook screen off and could not see any gaps in the glue at all. Also put new fixings on when refitted.

Just been and done the hose test and it still leaks. Will start a new thread on the topic, but it appears to go in about 2 inches above the screen where the black plastic stuff is on the roof rail line, and comes out through a gap in the metal work above the screen (have got all the trim off thanks to instructions from Gareth).

Have got extended warranty, but doesn't cover water ingress. Great. And off to Switzerland in 10 days. Anyone got ideas for cause of problem? HAve done a couple of searches, can't find anything.
 d4 HSE  
Post #11993588th Dec 2013 12:19 pm
stick

more testing....water definitely not penetrating glue that holds screen. Along the top of the screen there is a gutter that runs between the screen and the bodywork. The water runs along that trench and behind the side fixings. That is when it penetrates, coming into the cabin through the body shell welds just above the screen. Autoglass will probably try and tell me that it is a LR problem, and LR will tell me it is a Autoglass problem. Any views please? Thanks
 d4 HSE  
Post #11993778th Dec 2013 1:59 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Missing grommet in the roof rail line?
Where the front rail would fit.
You may find the extended warranty would cover the cause of the leak but not the damage caused? Idea
If it is a failed part or bodywork it should be covered as that.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #11996809th Dec 2013 1:26 am
al cope

England 

The roof rail trim just uses a push in fastner about a foot back from the screen, and a double sided sticky pad just above the screen, so I cant see your leak being from anything to do with the rail cover trim.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #11997679th Dec 2013 12:23 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >