Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Wheel Nut Options (solid wheel nuts)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
donknizi

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

At least no more swollen nuts Razz
The washers will probably corrode similar to the original ones. But that won't be visible and the wheel nuts will still come off normal. And all the other ones will likely perform worse in terms of corrosion resistance and abrasion resistance of the coating. And the resprayed steel cap design versions will likely suffer equally from the swollen nut syndrome as the silver ones.

Post #176548518th Jan 2017 9:19 pm
donknizi

Whilst changing the seized/worn brakepads, I quickly swopped the wheelnuts. To be honest, I can live with the black nuts on a silver wheel. So I will wait for some news from McGard; in the hope that the aftermarket wheel nuts will be a lot cheaper than the black ones...
I put the wheel locks on because SHMBO insists that she has seen Land Rovers on bricks in London. I personally fear more that someone nicks the black wheel nuts. So the lock will prevent the wheel from falling off if the theft was initially undetected.

Last edited by donknizi on 22nd Jan 2017 5:26 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #176719422nd Jan 2017 1:04 pm
donknizi

nessie wrote:
Rolling Eyes From corroded caps to corroded washers ... ehm ... Twisted Evil

I think I understand now the thinking behind the steel capped wheel nuts: the wheel nuts are quite exposed in terms of visibility. As there is always some rust around the braking system, there will be inevitably some rust deposition on the wheel nuts. Putting the steel cap over the wheel nut allows the corrosion to take place behind (and unfortunately under) the visible part.
With the solid wheel nuts one must trust superficial rust will be prevented by the coating process; hopefully the washer on the black wheel nuts act as a target for rust so that again it occurs away from sight.

Post #176720822nd Jan 2017 1:35 pm
nessie

Belgium 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

donknizi wrote:
Whilst changing the seized/worn brakepads, I quickly swopped the wheelnuts. To be honest, I can live with the black nuts on a silver wheel. So I will wait for some news from McGard; in the hope that the aftermarket wheel nuts will be a lot cheaper than the black ones...
I put the wheel locks on because SHMBO insists that she has seen Land Rovers on bricks in London. I personally fear more that someone nicks the black wheel nuts. So the lock will prevent the wheel from falling if the theft was initially undetected.

Looks nice indeed ..
I've got darker rims, so should you be looking for someone if you want to get rid of the black nuts ... Wink
 D4
Disco4.com sticker

D3 11y, 425k km - sold, miss it though (MAR, DNK, NOR, SWE, SCO, WAL, MUD ...) 

Post #176727122nd Jan 2017 3:35 pm
donknizi

donknizi wrote:

With the solid wheel nuts one must trust superficial rust will be prevented by the coating process; hopefully the washer on the black wheel nuts act as a target for rust so that again it occurs away from sight.

After having spent some time in the Alps and a few seasons with salt spreading I can confirm that the black wheel nuts do nut show visible signs of corrosion (except very superficial under close inspection). However the locking wheel nut has rust within the matrix area; this again is superficial and can likely be resolved with some anti corrosion oil. The rotating ring has seized due to corrosion.

While there a re now chrome wheel locks available in the US, McGard did not see sufficient interests in the after market for a chrome version of their wheel nuts, which is a shame.

Post #224248019th Jul 2021 10:48 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >