WarrantyWise - Help Needed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
OvalAutos
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 
WarrantyWise - Help Needed

Dear forum friends,

I'm looking for any assistance is dealing with Warrantywise. As usual for us, we've got a customer car with a snapped crankshaft. It's typical lovely clean snap with no bearing failures and the oil pump looks in good condition. The only other issue is that #3 main bearing cap is not a tight (interference) fit in the block, which again is not unusual. No spun bearings.

The engineer, lovely chap Graham from Liverpool, came out to assess the damage and confirmed it was a sudden failure of the crankshaft and didn't see any issues.

Warrantywise have come back with the following;

I regret to inform you that on this occasion your repair has been declined.
Your repairer wishes to replace the following part(s) on your vehicle:
1) Engine
We instructed an independent vehicle examiner to assess your vehicle who has confirmed.
In our opinion based on the visible evidence we would conclude that we can confirm that the
crankshaft was snapped. We consider this is a result of material failure. This is a known concern
on this type of engine.
The engine fitted to this vehicle is the TDV6 and is the subject of a Land Rover technical bulletin
which reports crank shaft failures,bearing failures,engine seizures and knocking engines.
Unfortunately the plan excludes common occurring and well documented issues as per page 19
(f3.17) of the plan document.

I've heard that some members have had direct communication with Warrantywise and written conformation that snapped cranks are covered. Does anybody have such a communication and can I get a copy?

I'm not trying to stiff the company, but if this is true, then they should not be selective on who they will give cover to based on someone taking the initiative and getting it in writing.

As you can imagine, my customer not very happy and I'm trying to get as much info together before going back to the company. So any help or thoughts would be much appreciated.

Copying this to RRSPORT as well.

Many thanks...
Joe

Those in the know, know. Those that don't know, just need to ask.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook: Oval Autos
Twitter: @Ovalautos
Instagram: OvalAutos
Web: www.OvalAutos.com 

Post #222012625th Mar 2021 8:25 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
OvalAutos
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 

Update from Warrantywise...

So long as your engine is the TDV6 mentioned above, then Land Rover have acknowledged that this is a manufacturing defect, and should have some liability for repair.

Does anyone have any known faults that JLR have acknowledged, that have been paid out to repair under third party warranty? I need to put an example to them to catch them out.

Also, when did JLR actually acknowledge the crankshaft issue as a manufacturing defect? Surely if they had, the flood gates would be open for claims against them.
Joe

Post #222020825th Mar 2021 4:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
al cope

England 

Or possibly ask WW to show where/ and or prove that LR have acknowledged the crank issue, as they are using this to get out of paying. If they can’t show that LR have admitted it’s an issue then surely their argument disappears.

Al
 MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #222021125th Mar 2021 5:19 pm
Duc750

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I think asking WW to provide the supporting evidence is the way to catch them out
 05 D3 V8 HSE, LR Passion tree bars, wildbear compressor guard, LRP switch panel, ARB rear locker + compressor, Trigger 6 shooter electrical system
12 RRS SDV6 HSE (Hers)
Metalian Camper trailer 

Post #222023725th Mar 2021 9:05 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Doesn't LRs own extended warranty exclude the crank?

It's a real can of worms and if warranty companies start excluding this then it will have significant impact on residuals and ability to secure a warranty.
 New Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #222026025th Mar 2021 11:32 pm
SteveKK

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

Does the customer have legal cover with their insurance policy? Maybe this is something that could help with.

Regards,
Steve

Post #222030026th Mar 2021 10:02 am
OvalAutos
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 

Still waiting for a asking for the JLR document that acknowledges the crankshaft problem is a manufacturing problem. They did however send this, which we all know about already.

Reference SSM71816

Models

Discovery 4 / L319
Discovery 3 / L319
Range Rover / L405
Range Rover Sport / L494
Range Rover Sport / L320

Title Crankshaft/Crankshaft Bearing Concerns - TDv6 Diesel Engine
Category Engine
Last modified 06-May-2014 00:00:00
Symptom 499000 Basic Engine

Content
Issue:
Crankshaft/crankshaft bearing failure - TDv6 Diesel Engine.
Cause:
Low incidence of crankshaft failure are being encountered, caused mainly by incorrect location of the main bearing shells during assembly, or through rotation of the shells during normal use. A new procedure has been implemented to ensure:
- more rapid resolution of customer concerns, and
- greater visibility of failure modes in order to improve repair process and parts delivery.

Action:
For any suspected crankshaft/bearing failure, please contact your local Dealer Technical Support or FRED team for details of the enhanced customer handling procedure.
The list below summarises typical symptoms of crankshaft/bearing failure, but please contact your DTS/FRED team if in any doubt as they will be pleased to offer assistance:
a· Crankshaft is seized, engine cannot be turned either via starter motor or crankshaft pulley bolt.
b· Oil sump or engine cylinder block is holed, with oil leakage and/or metallic debris found on engine under-tray.
c· Engine makes a loud rumbling/knocking sound when running which worsens as the engine is placed under load. The engine oil pressure warning light may flash or be continuously illuminated, especially at low engine speeds.

I responded to this one with the fact that the engine is a G2 and has tabbed bearings for correct alignment and there was no bearing damage as noted by their engineer.
Joe

Post #222030526th Mar 2021 10:18 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >