Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Warning bing - no faults!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Shealesy

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Warning bing - no faults!

Hi all! First post of my own here (after barging in on another thread a few weeks ago…)

I have a D3 HSE, MY05 manual with 161k on the clock which has a warning bing that is driving me up the wall! Big Cry
I’ve only had the car a couple of months and, aside from a leaky washer bottle, it otherwise seems solid.

The Disco had an EGR delete under a previous owner (actually twice 2 years apart by the invoice mountain I’ve got…) and I finished it off by removing the butterfly valve a few days ago. What a difference that made! Suddenly it’s got some go below 2k rpm! This obviously comes up in a scan as permanent faults, which I duly ignore Thumbs Up

Back to the bing.

This bing starts 8-10 miles into any journey, once a good operating temperature has been achieved, and typically happens as the revs drop on a gear change.It also happens if I’m slowing down and the revs drop. It’s not at a particular engine speed (as it was when I commented elsewhere) but is always below 1750rpm, and sometimes as low as idle. If I’m in “the bing zone” at a chosen cruising speed the only way to silence it is to change down a gear and keep the revs up.

Turning it off and on doesn’t help. If a stop somewhere is short then the bing is there from the restart, but if it’s a long trip round Tesco I’ll get a few minutes of peace before the temperature is achieved and the bing returns.

I thought at first it was an injector balance issue, as one was riding high (1300ish) and another low (700ish) but having been for a drive with a passenger watching the balance numbers, they actually get better when idling at operating temperature (1150/800ish with the other 4x all being around 900).
Reading out the fuel pressure as we drove it sounded quite normal too, no sudden drops or spikes showed up, though the refresh isn’t exactly instantaneous.

In my short ownership it hasn’t recorded a single power train fault (besides EGR) and the info centre has only warned me of an intermittent suspension fault (which I can only recreate on a certain road at a certain speed). There was a P02A3-00 “cylinder 3 balance - fuel trim at minimum limit” when i first scanned it, but this has never returned.

It also has a diesel leak, a small stain on the gravel overnight, that runs off the filter and surroundings. It’s quite wet with diesel around the fuel cooler but I can’t see where it’s coming down from. Cleaned around the offside injectors, nothing new coming from there on the short runs I’ve done recently.

I have changed the fuel filter (to try and cure the leak), air filter, I will probably do oil and filter this afternoon, cleaned the MAP (wasn’t bad), removed the butterfly valve and various other little bits to no avail.

I was hoping to take it on Sunday to Lincoln and back (from near Wick…) to collect the grandparents and the approximate metric ton of stuff that grandparents travel with but now I’m unsure. I don’t fancy a holy piston if it turns out to be an injector! I may have to take the Vauxhall and more than double the mpg…. At the sacrifice of comfort and boot space!

Has anyone else had a mystery bing with similar symptoms? I’ve been scratching my head and leafing through these forums for weeks now to no end. Lots of solutions to other things (butterfly etc) which has been brilliant, but nothing definitive on my mystery bing.

Thank you all Bow down

Last edited by Shealesy on 13th Aug 2021 2:11 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #224639513th Aug 2021 12:40 pm
Sea Raider

What code reader are you using?

Post #224639713th Aug 2021 12:44 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

As Sea raider says what are you using to read the fault codes, a generic code reader will only read generic codes a LR specific reader will be able to read codes from all the systems in the car.
You may also need to check the live values
 Andrew

D3 2.7tdv6 2005
D4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial died and gone to LR heaven
D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 

Post #224640113th Aug 2021 1:04 pm
Shealesy

It’s an Autel MaxiAP200, seems magic so far. Have checked and calibrated suspension and found out why my wing mirror doesn’t fold!

Passenger was reading the live values from the power train as we knocked around the countryside.

Post #224640313th Aug 2021 1:14 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Is the outside temperature reading correctly on the dash ?
Not below 5C

Have you fixed the washer bottle?

Post #224640613th Aug 2021 1:32 pm
Shealesy

Yup, seems to be in the ball park about 15c

Yes, new washer bottle in. Was one of the first jobs as it held about 50ml of liquid Laughing it looked like a previous had thrown a screw in through it to hold the corner of the bumper on….

Post #224640713th Aug 2021 1:34 pm
munst

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

No message on the dash when it pings? Sure its not a faulty seat belt sensor or something? Caught me out a couple of times when I've had something on the passenger seat. It pings but dosnt always flash the seat belt light.

Post #224642413th Aug 2021 3:53 pm
Shealesy

Pretty sure. With a boot this size, I don’t need to keep anything on the seat Laughing I assume I can see that in live data somewhere so I’ll have a look next time I go out in it.

It’s the only happening when it’s hot that gets me. If it only happened when cold, I’d happily drive through it, there’s no such thing as a short journey up here. Even the nearest shop for milk gets it right up to temperature!
 D3 HSE - MY05 - Java black
Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer
GAP IIDBT G3
2x Colliewobbles and a Kelpie 

Post #224642913th Aug 2021 4:08 pm
Pete K

have you read the gearbox fault codes

Post #224643113th Aug 2021 4:16 pm
Shealesy

The gearbox is (I think) the only module the Autel skips past. I just figured it’s because it was a manual it didn’t have one, as there can’t be much to go wrong. Except that XY sensor. Gear selection displays just fine on the dash.
GAP IIDBT G3

Post #224643413th Aug 2021 4:20 pm
Pete K

Ok. Not gearbox then

Post #224645513th Aug 2021 6:24 pm
Shealesy

I don’t think so. I think it has its own minor issue, reverse is a little stiff to slide over into which I believe is a circlip or some sort of detent pin in the side but it’s not impossible so I can deal with that another time. I just never park in spaces that I can’t get out of forwards Mr. Green
GAP IIDBT G3

Post #224646513th Aug 2021 7:14 pm
Doughboy

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Baltic BlueDiscovery 3

I initially thought it sounds like a seat belt audible warning issue. As a free fix.. You could do the plug in out 10times to rule it out as a silly?
Does it do anything if you leave it running and not in the car for any length of time.
Rich

Post #224649114th Aug 2021 2:36 am
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

How old is the oil in the gearbox and its level? May need an oil and filter change.

Post #224649214th Aug 2021 3:35 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Injector balance can only be read at tick-over, 1000 per injector is perfect but never achieved, anything between 800 and 1250 is acceptable. The injector reading low is doing so to balance the other reading slightly high, nothing to worry about.
If there are no faults showing and nothing on the dash I can’t see why you can’t use the car normally, just a nuisance till you find what’s causing it, does it happen at the same mph?
Could the clue be the new washer bottle?- there is a warning when it is low on water! and it will not be listed as a fault.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #224650614th Aug 2021 7:42 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >