Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Warning bing - no faults!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Shealesy

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

BradC - How strange! Mine had a hole in the washer bottle when I bought it so I got very familiar with that silent warning in the first few days.

Sounds good about it being the reservoir valve. I’ve recently done the front valve block seals as I could hear a hissing from the front left strut area, which isn’t all that far from the middle block. So I’ve got the seals for middle and rear here waiting, I’ll get on to that next week. Might even do both! The fault doesn’t cause anything but a dash warning and logged code, still drivable and still raises and lowers so I can ignore that for a journey or two Laughing

The errorless bing is the annoying one. I’m making the same journey I started this thread with again on Sunday, 530 miles each way, and don’t fancy any breakdowns! So I’ll take the insignia and get a sore Censored again!
 D3 HSE - MY05 - Java black
Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer
GAP IIDBT G3
2x Colliewobbles and a Kelpie 

Post #224861927th Aug 2021 5:04 pm
Shealesy

Not the turbo actuator, that moves freely, when cold at least. gave it a blast of copper grease anyway. Quite oily in there though, presumably the pipe to the intercooler that heads up and forward from the turbo. Looks sinister but hoping it’s not… Away to the beach with SWMBO, the bairn and the dogs today though, so it’ll get a run and see if it still bings!

That third nut (lowest) in the heat shield to get in there is a pain! Skinned a knuckle! Laughing
GAP IIDBT G3

Post #225163116th Sep 2021 10:55 am
douglastic

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

Could it be related to the TPMS?

A warning chime will sound:
• Whenever the tire pressure is very low in one or more tires.
• Whenever the vehicle speed increases from 0 to 60 km/h (38 mph) with more than one tire very low.
• Whenever a Tire Pressure Monitoring System or wheel sensor fault is detected.
 Doug
2007 LR3 HSE - Chawton/Alpaca - SoCal 

Post #225172316th Sep 2021 5:46 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

2005 models didn’t have it as standard.

Unless there is an orange (!) light above the fuel gauge at ignition on

Post #225173816th Sep 2021 7:09 pm
Shealesy

I don’t remember seeing that warning symbol, but I’ll have a look later and check tyre pressures anyway.

So far, it hasn’t shown me any warning symbols as actual warnings. I can see EML when I turn the ignition on, but it didn’t come up that one time I had Engine System Fault come up on the display, I’ve yet to see the suspension fault lights, despite having gotten that on the display twice yesterday (no other symptoms, just words without action. Even went up and down still).

Cheers!

Belated edit: must have been EML in the other car Whistle
GAP IIDBT G3

Last edited by Shealesy on 12th Feb 2022 7:52 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #225180617th Sep 2021 3:15 am
Shealesy

Hi all, so after a few more weeks of driving around and either ignoring the bing or just changing gear to avoid it, it seems to have settled into a routine.

About 95% of the time it’s singing it’s tune between 1500 and 1750 rpm, the other 5% it’s right down near idle. Sometimes, it’ll sing in both ranges.

I’ve also noticed that it does lack in power ever so slightly once the bing starts, as the engine gets right up to temperature. Not like a limp mode or any kind of restricted performance.
More like some medium hills that it would happily, gently accelerate up in any given gear when engine cool/cold and foot flat, once up to temperature and singing it’s song, it will only maintain speed up the same hill in the same gear. Not very scientific. If I put a number on it, I’d maybe call it a 10% loss. Worthy of note, but not game changing.

(And on my previous post, I couldn’t see the EML as it doesn’t have one. Something else must have caught my eye)
GAP IIDBT G3

Post #22556676th Oct 2021 1:16 pm
Shealesy

PROGRESS!! Thank you GAP IID! But also…. Oh dear….

So on my first day playing with the IID I have ascertained the only likely cause of this Censored faultless bing! It seems my oil pressure warning light should be on, now I know (from Disco_Mikey) that I don’t have an EML but do I also not have an oil pressure warning? Or has the PO removed the bulb?

I’ll state at this point that the car runs fine, there’s one screwy injector offset value, a leaky front strut and a very slight drop in power (possibly related, it occurs when the bing starts once the engine is fully up to temperature) but otherwise it’s fine.

Here is my finding in picture form! (Maybe…) The bing occurs every time the purple/blue lines jumps back up, as if to indicate an oil pressure warning light has been triggered (it hasn’t/is missing a bulb?).

Click image to enlarge

On first suspicions my brain is shouting oil pump, as I’ve already changed the switch. I don’t think bad wiring could be this consistent could it? Any other ideas?

Thanks all
Shealesy

Edit: I do also get an occasional error relating to the oil pressure switch, something along the lines of “algorithm error - switch state not plausible” I’ve never remembered to screenshot it.

Edit2: having stood still and looked again, it would suggest my oil light should be lit all the time, go off as I hit that certain revs range (which moves), then come on again once past it.
GAP IIDBT G3

Post #227852912th Feb 2022 4:37 pm
Pete K

There are only a small number of RED lights on the dash. The oil light is one of them.

Once most of the lights have gone out, with the self test, you should be left with about 3 red ones on the left dial.

Battery +-
Oil Can (the one you talk of)
Seatbelt

So you can check it lights when you turn the ignition on (without starting)

I suspect you have more of an electrical issue.

Random oil lights and other lights coming on are a known issue, but not that popular that the fix is known!

The causes is likely to be one of 2 things.

1) The dash instruments themselves. (solder problems have been know on later years)
2) A fault with a wire rubbing on the chassis

While not recommended usually, you could prove this to yourself by disconnecting the oil pressure switch and then observe any change in bongs, while driving about for a few days.

Another thing I reccoment trying is cutting the oil wire a few inches from the dash. And driving for a few days. That can tell you if it's option 1 or 2 above.

It's rather worrying the software seams to have an inbuilt delay in reporting oil pressure faults. Now while I know the battery light has this, its very poor design for the oil light to have this! Does explain a few things! Though i'm not sure I believe it, as when the chains stop making a noise, the light goes out at the same time. Maybe the delay is with the light coming back on

Post #227853512th Feb 2022 5:21 pm
Shealesy

I suspected it was a delayed light for an intermittent fault, hence why I’d never seen a light but I am now certain I do not have a functioning oil pressure light.
Battery and seatbelt lights I’m familiar with, if the oil light is thereabouts, mine is non-functional.

I’ll test it in a safe-ish way, drive up to temperature so the bing starts, pull over and disconnect the switch, drive to the next lay by and see if I get any bings. As you can see on the graph (and if I could post the full minute or so of it) I can trigger the bong with the throttle so will definitely be able to recreate and prove one way or another.

I’m also going to ask the neighbour (agri mechanic, Disco2 aficionado) if he has an oil pressure gauge that will fit for a test and see if I don’t actually have any oil pressure. Slightly scared of the results of that test….

But it does run fine aside from its few other foibles which I’m now rapidly diagnosing (2 leaking air struts, one leaking fuel pipe, one suspect wheel speed sensor). I’m going to do a few boost graphs (hot and cold) from the live values to compare to some I’ve found across the forum, see if I’ve got a hose going that I can’t hear or feel. It’s all progress!
GAP IIDBT G3

Post #227854612th Feb 2022 6:57 pm
Pete K

They aren’t easy to fit a gauge to, as the connection point is deep.
As you have had this bong for so long,
I doubt it’s a real fault. And unknown it should only happen at a certain rpm.

I don’t think the dash has bulbs, so not so easy to remove. Usually techniques are to stick black tape over the front (so have a good look close up by the battery light) or to do something inside.

Post #227854912th Feb 2022 7:34 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Have you thought of changing the pressure sensor?
 Andrew

D3 2.7tdv6 2005
D4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial died and gone to LR heaven
D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 

Post #227855012th Feb 2022 7:37 pm
Pete K

Have your thought of reading the post again Wink Laughing

Post #227855212th Feb 2022 7:42 pm
Shealesy

aja4x4: I’ve changed the switch, no change.

Pete K: I’ll have a good peek at the dash in daylight tomorrow, see if anyones been up to naughties with tape.

I’m not overly concerned of it being an actual fault, having run with it for 7 months… but if I can silence the bing SWMBO will be very happy! Then I just need to fix everything else…. Before the holiday in March Laughing

It’s not even at a permanent RPM, sometimes it’s when the revs drop as I change gear so sub ~1500, other times it’s just before I change gear, so anywhere north of 2k (mood dependent), and the most common is right where I want to cruise at 60mph in 6th gear around 1750/1800rpm. But… I can move it temporarily Question so if it’s binging at 1750ish and I want to be sitting there at 60mph, I’ll just dip the clutch and give it a boot over 3k, and the bing stays up somewhere above 2500rpm for a while, anywhere from 2 minutes to beyond the end of a journey. It’s bizarre!

Thanks for your help. Tomorrow I’ll get it warm and unplug the switch, see if that will silence it. If not I’ll start chasing the wire and see if I can find some chafing anywhere.
GAP IIDBT G3

Post #227855312th Feb 2022 7:49 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Yes i would trace the wiring back to the plug by the battery, you may also want to check the earthing to the engine
 Andrew

D3 2.7tdv6 2005
D4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial died and gone to LR heaven
D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 

Post #227855912th Feb 2022 9:12 pm
Shealesy

Top tips Thumbs Up

I’m glad it has a plug on route, I’ll find that, then see if there’s any link to ground either side of it and work from there. That’s my understanding of how it works. The oil pressure breaks the circuit to ground and the absence of pressure reconnects the switch to ground, lighting the elusive lamp on the dash.

Are the engine ground points an easily findable and well covered topic? I’ll have a look through the forum see if I can find them, check them all over too.

Cheers!
GAP IIDBT G3

Post #227859513th Feb 2022 10:31 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >