Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Discovery 5 - L462

Views on D5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 8 12345678>
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 
Views on D5

Having dropped my RRS with my local indie, they lent me a D5 for two days as a loan car.

HSE TD6 was the tail badging.

Impressions:

The drive was good. The primary ride was excellent. Rode undulations beautifully on 255/55/20 tyres. The secondary ride was less well sorted giving a brittle, crashy ride on broken surfaces. Primary ride was better than my 2012 RRS, secondary ride was worse.

Steering is noticeably lighter than my 2012 RRS. Brakes are better. Engine response was good, gearbox extremely smooth.

The front seats are narrow. The bolsters dug in to my kidneys, the seat squab was narrow and lacking in support. The heated front seats were never more than luke warm. A poor "heated seated seat" for sure. SWMBO thought the front seats ok but not as good as my RRS.

SWMBO wanted a trip out in it in the evening. Her views on the ride matched mine. The headlights were excellent, by the way.

SWMBO commented that the feeling inside was that she was sat down inside the vehicle; more a car like feeling than a high up SUV feeling like the RRS. The scuttle and doors felt high to her and very enclosing. I felt the same but made no comment until she had. You sit high but it doesn't feel it. The "command drive" position feel has been lost. It just feels like a big Discovery Sport.

We had a play with the middle and rear seats. A poor result, sadly. SWMBO thought the middle row "ok" for her but she wouldn't want to do a long trip in them. I thought the middle row seats to be awful. The seat squab is much too short and under thigh support is almost entirely lacking. The rear row is a joke. Sure, as a 6 footer I could fit in them, but leg room is rubbish and access is dire. Could I ask friends to sit there on a trip? No way!. SWMBO stated that access was so bad that no woman could get in or out of the third row with any dignity especially if wearing a skirt. Also, the rear seats feel very closed in. Not good. SWMBO: "if you wanted a 7 seater, you wouldn't buy one of these, would you?" A damning conclusion, I feel, for LR's "people carrier".

Boot size is excellent. The silly fold down shelf is, well, silly. Rear suspension drop/lift is a nice gimmick but is just that - a gimmick. The ability to fold the seats with buttons is excellent and I can see that being very useful. Not sure being able to do so from the driver's seat using the centre screen is that helpful.

Front storage is excellent. The centre console has loads of space to store things. A real plus point for the vehicle. The cooler cubby is nice and deep - better than previous examples.

The number of charging points is impressive. I can see how a family would find that to be really useful.

Parked on our drive, it was wider than the space filled by the RRS. Longer too, but that's to be expected.

Summary: a good drive from the driver's seat. Too big and poorly implemented inside for the 7 adults that is claimed it will carry. Too expensive.

If you want to carry 7 people, there are better alternatives. If you want to go off road, you could do as well with others in the range. Who wants to take 7 people off road? No one. So why buy the D5?

It appears to be the answer to a question that no one is asking.

Having driven a Disco Sport D240 recently, I'd have that over the D5 unless I absolutely needed the 7 seats and the 3.5 tonne tow capability in one vehicle.

So, that's a "no" from me.

And I haven't even mentioned the challenging aesthetics.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #21845255th Nov 2020 12:04 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Reeks of unconscious bias given your hysterical historical views Whistle ..but the subjectve view is your prerogative . Smile

2.5 years for me and still a lovely place to be 8) Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #21845275th Nov 2020 12:16 am
pjm-84

Ukraine 

Interesting read. I haven't driven one yet.

I've seen comments concerning a car like driving position in the D5 and that would put me off. (It did in the new XC90)

Oddly I can live with the aesthetics but only in certain colours and wheel options.

I would buy the D5 for the big boot for my dogs, and the fact no one would want to steal it Thumbs Up ( Had a few X5s and highly nickable which is costly)

Post #21845295th Nov 2020 12:23 am
defector

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Still seeing more new defenders daily than D5's - in fact can go days without seeing a D5 (and no, my neighbours don't own any defenders - but 3 Evoques in a group of 6 houses Shocked )

Saw a lovely white one today with headphone on one side and (i think) ladder on the other.

Post #21845325th Nov 2020 2:18 am
integrale

Denmark 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

That sums up nicely why I went for a late 2016 D4 rather than a D5. After some testing in 2017, I came to the exact same conclusions. With 5 children I actually need the 7 seat capacity, but the D5 passenger seats are not impressive.

That, and the fact that I do not fit into the driver’s seat; amazing that a car as big as the D5 does not fit an average size Scandinavian in the driver’s seat. I’m 6’5” so not extremely tall...

Post #21845375th Nov 2020 6:25 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

There are some points I would agree with.
Access to row 3 is not great not it is accessible and once in there the seats are comfy and honestly the space is no real difference to D4 when travelling, but access not great.
Agree the scuttle and doors do feel higher but as for driving position I would disagree and say it is still high up, in fact I have sat at traffic lights often next to D3/4 and felt I was higher than them , not by much but a little.
Ride I have found to be excellent, yes there is a marked difference between 22" and 19" but that was the same in the D4
I have had mine for 4 years in March, will I change it.......not sure yet, will probably keep it another 12 months and wait for the hybrid D5. Have looked at the Defender and love the outside, but when I opened the door for the test drive, I quickly shut it and declined the test drive as the inside was rubbish in my view. Also looked and test drove a RRS when I brought my D5, found the D5 to be in my view quieter, smoother and generally more usable than the RRS, however the model has had a refresh since so will try that again.
I will go and look at other marques as I do each time I change, I love the ability to get the caravan off a wet field that so far all other marques have failed to do so will have to wait and see.

Good write up of your views though Thumbs Up
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #21845405th Nov 2020 7:35 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

DG wrote:
Reeks of unconscious bias given your hysterical historical views Whistle ..but the subjectve view is your prerogative . Smile

Hmm, I mentioned both the bits I liked and the bits I didn't like and the reasons. Sorry if it isn't a glowing review of your own preferred vehicle. Sorry also that you feel the need to attack me for it.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #21845435th Nov 2020 7:50 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

DG wrote:

All personal views are by definition subjective, unless it’s from the LR media division of course, then it’s fully objective. Subjective views would always trump a press release. Whistle Whistle

Post #21845515th Nov 2020 8:29 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Awwwwww shucks del Laughing
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #21845545th Nov 2020 8:35 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Anyway, isn’t it time you started sorting out your replacement? That one is getting a bit long in the tooth. Someone’s got to keep the peeps in Slovakia in the manner etc.

Post #21845575th Nov 2020 8:41 am
CheshireDan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

pjm-84 wrote:
Oddly I can live with the aesthetics but only in certain colours and wheel options.

This is the same as me, we were away last week and one was parked next to us in white with gloss black wheels and I was tempted... Surprised

Post #21845795th Nov 2020 10:28 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Views on D5

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Having dropped my RRS with my local indie, they lent me a D5 for two days as a loan car.

HSE TD6 was the tail badging.

Impressions:

The drive was good. The primary ride was excellent. Rode undulations beautifully on 255/55/20 tyres. The secondary ride was less well sorted giving a brittle, crashy ride on broken surfaces. Primary ride was better than my 2012 RRS, secondary ride was worse.

Steering is noticeably lighter than my 2012 RRS. Brakes are better. Engine response was good, gearbox extremely smooth.

The front seats are narrow. The bolsters dug in to my kidneys, the seat squab was narrow and lacking in support. The heated front seats were never more than luke warm. A poor "heated seated seat" for sure. SWMBO thought the front seats ok but not as good as my RRS.

SWMBO wanted a trip out in it in the evening. Her views on the ride matched mine. The headlights were excellent, by the way.

SWMBO commented that the feeling inside was that she was sat down inside the vehicle; more a car like feeling than a high up SUV feeling like the RRS. The scuttle and doors felt high to her and very enclosing. I felt the same but made no comment until she had. You sit high but it doesn't feel it. The "command drive" position feel has been lost. It just feels like a big Discovery Sport.

We had a play with the middle and rear seats. A poor result, sadly. SWMBO thought the middle row "ok" for her but she wouldn't want to do a long trip in them. I thought the middle row seats to be awful. The seat squab is much too short and under thigh support is almost entirely lacking. The rear row is a joke. Sure, as a 6 footer I could fit in them, but leg room is rubbish and access is dire. Could I ask friends to sit there on a trip? No way!. SWMBO stated that access was so bad that no woman could get in or out of the third row with any dignity especially if wearing a skirt. Also, the rear seats feel very closed in. Not good. SWMBO: "if you wanted a 7 seater, you wouldn't buy one of these, would you?" A damning conclusion, I feel, for LR's "people carrier".

Boot size is excellent. The silly fold down shelf is, well, silly. Rear suspension drop/lift is a nice gimmick but is just that - a gimmick. The ability to fold the seats with buttons is excellent and I can see that being very useful. Not sure being able to do so from the driver's seat using the centre screen is that helpful.

Front storage is excellent. The centre console has loads of space to store things. A real plus point for the vehicle. The cooler cubby is nice and deep - better than previous examples.

The number of charging points is impressive. I can see how a family would find that to be really useful.

Parked on our drive, it was wider than the space filled by the RRS. Longer too, but that's to be expected.

Summary: a good drive from the driver's seat. Too big and poorly implemented inside for the 7 adults that is claimed it will carry. Too expensive.

If you want to carry 7 people, there are better alternatives. If you want to go off road, you could do as well with others in the range. Who wants to take 7 people off road? No one. So why buy the D5?

It appears to be the answer to a question that no one is asking.

Having driven a Disco Sport D240 recently, I'd have that over the D5 unless I absolutely needed the 7 seats and the 3.5 tonne tow capability in one vehicle.

So, that's a "no" from me.

And I haven't even mentioned the challenging aesthetics.

Good write up. I went around the houses for a replacement to my D4. Having said I’d never buy another LR I ended up with a D5 and Defender 110 as my preferred options. Embarassed

I’ve driven many D5s in the past but not with my family. I took my wife and daughter with me and did the test drives with them on one of the LR days at the dealer. I’ve written about this and previous experiences in other posts, but basically they both hated the D5 and loved the Defender.

They thought the D5 rear seats were awful and hated its image as a yummy mummies car / boring technocrat wagon. Interestingly when we discussed the rear seat with the LR he acknowledged that it was one of the biggest complaints and comments they had on it.

At the end of the day it’s horses for courses, unless your DG , where you’re deemed to be the spawn of Satan for not fawning at the D5’s feet in absolute uncompromising adulation. Rolling Eyes
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #21846075th Nov 2020 12:10 pm
Dexter

Scotland 

I’ve got to agree, the looks I could live with but as a family vehicle the middle seats are just awful. We don’t use the 7 seats at all these days so that’s not a consideration for us and the boot is big enough for most.

Had the rear seats been more akin to the luxury marque it purports to be and the hatch was split I’d more than likely have bought one last year as there’s no denying it’s a lovely drive and you really notice the lower weight against the D4.

I didn’t notice the front seats being narrow, maybe that’s model dependent as I’m no racing snake either 😉

Instead I have a 2016 D4 sitting on the drive not doing very much at all this year but at least it’s all mine 😁.

I’ve not driven the Defender yet, that might be an expensive excercise 🤦‍♂️

Post #21846325th Nov 2020 1:26 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Re: Views on D5

RRSTDV8 wrote:
The bolsters dug in to my kidneys
on an HSE you can adjust them Smile

RRSTDV8 wrote:
heated seated seat
- agree with that.

Love mine!!!
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #21846365th Nov 2020 1:59 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

My 12-plate RRS has the adjustable bolsters so I did look to see whether the D5 had adjustment too. I couldn't find a button to adjust them. There was only the seat base, the seat back and the lumbar adjustment.

I've noticed on the DS as well as the D5 that the heated seats don't get very hot - certainly not as warm as previous generations did. I've heard the same moan about newer RRS and FFRR too so I guess it's common to all of the range these days. Which is a shame.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #21846455th Nov 2020 2:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 8 12345678>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >