Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Tyre noise vs other noises
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
reb78

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 3
Tyre noise vs other noises

I have a drone at times. I think it is tyres but how do you tell tyre noises from diff noises or wheel bearings or anything else that makes a droning noise?! Certain types of harder tarmacs mine is more noticeable - I have General Grabber ATs on the rear (these had worn a bit on the outer edge but the alignment has been checked since) and AT3s on the front.

Post #222749329th Apr 2021 7:55 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi mate

Wonder if u can put it onto axle stands and spin / rock the wheels to see if u can hear any wheel bearing / diff noise to rule them out

Does the noise change when going round corners

Have cooper AT/3 on mine and know what u mean as in the end after checking everything possible when it changed tone according to road surfaces I put it down to tyre noise

I also checked my tyre pressures / diff oil front and back , drop links and had a good look round underneath to see if I could see anything loose, worn etc , are ur tyre treads the same front and back as don’t know if that could also cause more tyre noise ??

Are all your door rubber seals / windows , sunroof ok, just incase one is allowing noise to enter the cabin and making it more noticeable ??

Sorry that’s not much help , hopefully someone else will come along to offer some more advice

Post #222752229th Apr 2021 9:46 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Plus just thought , could this be of any use , ref a DB app for ur iPhone ,

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/decibel-x-db...d448155923

So having someone in the vehicle and move around the cabin / on different road surfaces , to see if there’s any increase in sound

Hope that helps

Post #222752329th Apr 2021 9:54 pm
matgriff

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

When I bought my D3 a couple of years ago, original owner told me that the drone from the front was tyre related... it was actually the front diff. Fitted a used RRS unit and it's quiet as a mouse, I also have AT tyres fitted, Toyo Open Country.

Mat
 2005 TDV6 SE Auto
Cairns Blue 

Post #222755530th Apr 2021 8:22 am
pjm-84

Ukraine 

I can hear my Duratracs on some road surfaces. The Pirelli ATRs that they replaced were surprising quiet.

Front wheel bearings will make a noise when cornering.

Post #222755830th Apr 2021 8:40 am
Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I had this over the last few months. Worn Pirelli Zeros.

Due to lockdown, I had not bothered to change them. Sounded like a wheel bearing or half-shaft driver's rear. To prove a point I swapped corners (at the local garage that my mate works at), and sure enough, the noise changed pitch and appeared to move to the opposite corner.

I fitted four brand new tyres at Kwik-Fit last week on their so-called 'birthday weekend' so £440 all-inclusive.

The very nice Kwik-Fit man said the edges had feathered and were the likely source of the noise and advised 4-wheel alignment. It is going to JAS York in a few weeks for new front lower arms amongst a few other jobs, and the alignment is part of their tasks to get sorted. I have grounded it until then so as not to mess the new rubber up.

Happy to say the 'unwanted' noise has gone.

Might give you a clue Thumbs Up
 "Track day running - Don't put your foot back on the accelerator until your absolutely sure you don't have to take it off again"

Current Ride: D4 XS Commercial Baltic Blue SDV6 fully loaded with heated everything Smile
Track Days: BMW E36 M3 Evolution MY 1996 (3.2 Litre 377 BHP sat in 1,250 Kgs of car, with a pro safety cage and some serious braking power) Smile 

Post #222756530th Apr 2021 9:15 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >