Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

TSBLA204.008 Uneven Tyre Wear Geometry Out
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Simon67

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Taken the D3 in for the above TSB to be checked as both rear wheels were wearing badly on the inside at 25K and were changed out. Now at 27K the geometry has been checked due to the TSB and Land Rover stated it was out of alignment and required adjustment.
Bad news it that Land Rover dealer says it's not covered by warranty and yours truly stumped up £205. The question is has anyone else experienced this and what was the outcome - I know several of you got new tyres etc. Not interested in the tyres themselves but bit peeved a warrantly item upto 10K miles is chargeable at 27K miles - dealer says its because I may have taken it off road?
Before the very nice man from Customer Services calls me back -

1 Anyone got a good deal on the TSB - new tyres etc
2 Since when can I not take the D3 off road as it may kill the warranty
3 If the geometry is out, surely its a warranty item and not wear and tear

Answers on a postcard please to the usual address, many thanks

Post #17057825th Jun 2007 5:59 pm
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

Mine is in the stealers today with the same problem. 22+K miles and I noticed last week that the right rear is very badly worn on the inside. Checked the others and they were all worn on the inside to varying degrees, though none as bad as the right rear. I can't understand though why it seems to have happened very suddenly - they were fine when it was serviced last October at 18K!

Found the reference to the TSB on this site then rang the dealers last week to explain problem. Pointed out to them that, as I would have had to buy new tyres this year anyway, I wasn't about to try to claim for them but that I wanted the alignment done under warranty to which they agreed without any argument.

Price of Pirelli Scorpion Zeros, 255 55 19 an eye-watering £192 each though, and I need 4 Big Cry !!!. Found them for a tad over £170 online but that wasn't a fitted price so you would have to add at least £10 for fitting/balancing/new valve/old tyre disposal.

Maybe your dealers couldn't be a***d to do the warranty claim paperwork which is why they fobbed you off with pathetic excuses. Mind you, is your car's VIN within the range stated in the TSB? If it isn't, I can see why your dealers wouldn't do the work under warranty.
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #17078926th Jun 2007 10:13 am
Simon67

Morning Albourneboy

Try this site for tyres - got Wranglers for £141 fitted
Order on line and get fitted at National

http://www.tyre-shopper.co.uk/home.asp

Will let you know how I get on with LR CS

Post #17079126th Jun 2007 10:17 am
retired

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Had geometry check on my car a couple of months back. Dealer said LR would only authorise under waranty under 10k miles. Mine was in the 9 thousands so ok for me. But what about,say, 12k and tyes worn unevenly and no longer useable. LR do seem to be trying to reduce cost of warranty claims. Not a good idea in the longer term as reputation will suffer.

Post #17079526th Jun 2007 10:19 am
simo1976

Portugal 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I to have had the same problem, I had 4 new tyres at 19k, I kicked up a huge stink Evil or Very Mad with the dealer and eventually LR agreed to pay 75% of the cost. This time however I have done 15k and my front tyres are shot again Censored Censored
LR have refused to pay and the dealer has told me that they found a nail in the tyre and that I was running on low pressures (absolute rubbish Confused ).

I have just been on the internet and found 2 new Goodyear Wranglers for £282 fitted Thumbs Up
these are from Tyre-Shopper.co.uk.

Post #17080726th Jun 2007 10:43 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

Had quick look at Tyre-Shopper.co.uk and the 19inch Pirellis are £2 dearer fitted than my dealers price.

Try these: http://www.mytyres.co.uk/start.html
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #17081526th Jun 2007 11:19 am
Jamo

Australia 

LR covered mine at 72,000km, no questions asked. (I wasn't interested in replacement tyres).

Mine was fine until about 65000km then.... Shocked
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #17083826th Jun 2007 12:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RichardK

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

I had the same problem at 80K Kms, dealer wouldnt fix mine as it was too many K's, took it to a mate who runs a Bridgestone Tyre shop and got a 4 wheel alignment done for $30. Aparently the 4 wheels were out, the front were a long way out. Tracks like a dream now.

Post #17085726th Jun 2007 2:01 pm
FMac

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks to:

information from this site, Thumbs Up
    mule-like stubbornness on my part, Evil or Very Mad
    saintly patience and presumably Kissinger-ish negotiation skills of Nicola from Stratstone Newcastle. Bow down

LRCS have agreed to pay for the 4-wheel alignment for my 31,250 mile HSE. Mr. Green

Post #17085926th Jun 2007 2:13 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

You've got the info, now buy the sticker.... ! Laughing

Well done Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #17086026th Jun 2007 2:16 pm
Simon67

Just for an update - LRCS are an oxymoron bit like Happily Married or Military Intelligence

Now speaking to Jenny in the Directors office at LR and she will be calling me back. According to CS its my fault as I should have taken the car back at 10K and not waited until I saw what it was doing to the tyres - problem is I only now abt this due to the TSB from LR themselves!!!!
Also if I take the Disco off road it invalidates the warranty on this particular claim and every time it does go off road I should get the dealer to recheck everything afterwards.
This is from a nice guy in CS who didn't know what the TSB was and openly admitted he wasn't technical - off to bounce my head against a hard wall............

Big Cry

Post #17086426th Jun 2007 2:30 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I like your descriptions.... Rolling with laughter
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #17086526th Jun 2007 2:32 pm
Simon67

Just for info LR have now agreed to cover 100% of the cost of the geometry check - hard bloody work but I got there.
Why is it that a company is happy to cheese off its customers for the sake of a few quid?

Post #17091126th Jun 2007 5:13 pm
gilmore

England 

Had the same problem. at 25K miles my $trat$tone dealer told me that the TSB would only cover a warrenty claim if I'd taken it in at less than 10K miles. As I hve upgraded my tyres they have only just done enough miles for it to be noticable now. They would cover the cost of the allignment but offered to split the cost of it, so I paid £50 instead of £100.

Wooohhoooo!

I'll Certainly buying my next £40K car there.

regs
rob
 All opinions expressed in this posting are my own and are not necessarily those of someone who knows what they are talking about.

Land Rover Defender V8, 50th Anniversary Edition
Mercedes ML350CDI
HM Moto CRE300X
Honda CRF250X
1974 Honda CB750K4
1975 Honda CB750K5
Ford Transit Custom (for the bikes) 

Post #17091826th Jun 2007 5:32 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Spoke to technician at dealers. He said that it only took 10mins to do the geometry set mode, before they sent it off to be aligned.
This was on another thread:

There are two TSB's covering this:

One puts the car into the Dynamic Suspension Setting mode and takes a few hours as it involves software upload/download stuff.
LA 204-009V2 Dynamic Suspension Geometry Setting Mode

Once it's in this mode, the geometry can then be set.
LA 204-008V2 Uneven Tyre Wear.

If it's only 1-1.5 hours, then the dealer isn't putting the car into the setting mode (or perhaps doesn't need to as the alignment problem isn't bad).

Mine seems to be out very often and is scubbing again just after having it done. Confused
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #17104227th Jun 2007 1:58 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >