DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

BRAKES
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
A25WESTR

England 
BRAKES

Hi,

New to the forum, and have joined to hopefully help out a friend.

Was asked to drive my friends 2005 Disco TDV6 with a large Ifor Williams trailer containing 6 small pony’s to a show as she was not confident with the trailer.

After travelling some 130 miles (mainly motorway) and waiting at a set of traffic lights with my foot on the brakes, the pedal slowly went to the floor, but would return on pumping it.

Pulled over and made a check on fluid level, and checked for leaks, the level was OK and no leaks evident, and as we were only about 10 mile from site I drove carefully on to offload the animals.

Called out the RAC, and after he checked the car out stated that it was unfit to drive and would have it collected by a local approved garage who he was confident would fix the issue quickly.

The garage picked the car up the next morning and phoned at mid day to say that they had check the braking system and could find nothing wrong.

When I got in the car the issue was the same, that being if constant pressure was applied to the pedal it would go to the floor.

The car was taken to another garage that was recommended and the mechanic said that the rear brake pads needed replacing along with the fluid as it was dirty and looked burnt.
He replaced the pads, fluid, master cylinder and the servo was also replaced as he said that a piece of it had fallen off on dismantling.

The issue is still the same and I would like to help my friend out with this and find out what the fix is.

My limited experience points toward either air getting in the system or a seal not holding pressure, and I have never driven a vehicle where the pedal would go to the floor under pressure and it be considered normal.

All comments welcome from anyone who may have experienced something similar or have any idea where to look next.

Many thanks for reading

Post #113213316th Jul 2013 1:08 pm
wee-man

United Kingdom 
Flexible brake pipes

Have you checked the hoses at the calipers. Just a stab in the dark but they might be spongy ?
 Gone but far from forgotten 55' plate HSE.
Replaced by Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
Defender Puma 2.4 xs 

Post #113214816th Jul 2013 1:51 pm
H16UUP

United Kingdom 

I'd check all seals to the vacuum booster very carefully. Was it bled properly (as it's ABS-equipped)?

Check Bodsy's excellent guide (section 12):

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...1.4sml.pdf

(See section 2, top of p33)

Also there was a recall on early cars to fit a non-return valve in the vacuum pipe due to damage to booster from oil ingress. Has that been done?

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...%201-3.pdf

Post #113215816th Jul 2013 2:31 pm
A25WESTR

England 

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, the motor has now been booked into a Land rover garage.

Cheers

Post #113486923rd Jul 2013 1:17 am
A25WESTR

England 

Hi,

Just an update to the brake issue.

All of the flexible brake hoses were changed, and the trailer brakes adjusted and all seem well at the moment.

The theory was that the brakes on the heavy trailer were not working efficiently and the cars system was overworked heating the fluid along with the hoses.

Thanks for all replies.

Post #11403785th Aug 2013 7:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >