Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

EPB click/clunk
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
daillama

Wales 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
EPB click/clunk

Hi, so my EPB jammed on today the usual described squealing noise , couldn’t release it with the manual cable but then it started working again on its own. Decided to do the adjustment and that seemed to go ok except the EPB now makes a fairly loud click when applied and a very short minor squeal when releasing. Any ideas? The clicking was present for about 2 weeks prior to it jamming on so I’m guessing it’s going to do the same again in the near future. It’s a TDV6 MY09 if that helps at all
 Tom
Discovery newbie
Keen to learn and have a go 

Post #233945714th Jun 2023 5:51 pm
KPTV8

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Ho, you're SO lucky mate !!
My MY09 is still jammed rigid, manual release cable now broken and I'm about to cut the cables from the winch to each wheel as a desperate and expensive measure so can drive to workshops.
Good luck with yours, get the adjustments made ASAP so you don't suffer like me.
Meantime maybe pull the fuse (box beside the battery) so the EPB can't be applied via the switch out of old habit ? Cheers Smile))

Post #233946314th Jun 2023 6:20 pm
daillama

Good luck

Best of luck with your brake troubles too. I went to remove the hubs and realised the retaining screws are rounded as well, so have ordered replacements and will get busy with the drill when they arrive. No idea if/who the former owner used for repairs... but they were shocking if they were an alleged professional.
 Tom
Discovery newbie

Post #233946714th Jun 2023 7:05 pm
CDS
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Did you just do the adjuster to set the shoes correctly or did you strip the shoes off, inspect, clean, refit and THEN adjust?

Discovery 3/4 & RRS keys cut and programmed at your home or work
Apple CarPlay/ Android Auto retro fit - see it here
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blanking
Software updates/ enabling
Mobile Servicing & Repairs

Post #233947414th Jun 2023 7:53 pm
daillama

Just did the adjustment because despite my best efforts I couldn’t get the retaining torx screw out as they are rounded like someone over tightened them and then just ruined the heads trying to remove them again. Anyhow ordered replacement screws so will drill the old ones out when the replacements arrive
 Tom
Discovery newbie

Post #233948214th Jun 2023 8:16 pm
CDS
Site Sponsor 

Ah yes, I missed that part of your post Embarassed
You can usually knock them out with a sharp cold chisel if you get it dug in to the edge of the head Thumbs Up
I suspect you will find all manner of dust and rubbish inside the disc. You’ll possibly need new discs and pads, new EPB shoes and a new springs and clips.
I’m guessing you have come as less Bodsy’s Brake Bible already, but if you haven’t, have a read: http://tinyurl.com/brakebible
Thumbs Up

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blanking

Post #233948514th Jun 2023 8:25 pm
daillama

I read and downloaded the brake bible before I even got the disco 😁 looks like someone has already had a go at that as there are big “cuts” in the screw heads. Anyhow a drill should do the job. Thanks for the reply…. I’m considering changing it to V8 discs at the same time but that will depend on finances
 Tom
Discovery newbie

Post #233949014th Jun 2023 8:36 pm
CDS
Site Sponsor 

Don’t forget, if upgrading to V8’s do all 4 corners or just the fronts. Don’t just do the rears Thumbs Up
And of course you need the V8 calliper carriers as well when you get the bigger disks Thumbs Up

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blanking

Post #233949214th Jun 2023 8:55 pm
daillama

The saga continues

So, I eventually drilled out the retaining screws.... stripped and cleaned the brake shoes and lubricated the moving bits, refitted them. I checked the discs and the drum inner surface looks good, no lip so I tidied up a few small patched of corrosion and decided to re-assemble.

I put the fuse back in for the EPB and low and behold it screeched when I tried to activate the parking brake.

So I put it back in service mode as per Bodsys brake bible - 3x foot brake and pressed and held down the EPB switch. To my surprise I heard the actuator whirr (not screech) and it sounded like it wound right back as it took a few seconds of whirring to finish. Fuse back out now while in service mode.

I have decided to replace the shoes completely as they weren't brilliant but still had braking surface circa 2mm left on 75% of the primary and secondary shoes but looked heat damaged from a binding rear brake issue I had a couple of weeks ago. I have not done this yet as I had some questions...

What I want to know now is, if the EPB actuator wound back without any issue, how do I know if it is unlatched and thus need re-latching? Or am I safe to assume the actuator is working?

I have no diagnostic tool to play with to try to identify the position of the EPB module or any fault codes, and given my fat arms and limited access would like to avoid opening the module if I can get away with it (as I think this may send me over the edge in frustration).

Really would appreciate any help/advice on whether to just go ahead and replace the shoes, adjust and keep my fingers crossed, or whether I should also try and open the module too before putting the fuse back in Bow down
 Tom
Discovery newbie

Post #233995520th Jun 2023 4:43 pm
daillama

The answer was yes

So in the absence of replies I went ahead and changed the brake shoes, and the answer was that that seems to have fixed the problem, no re-latching required. So it seems that even if the brake shoes look like they could be re-used, just go ahead and replace before the actuator jams.
 Tom
Discovery newbie

Post #234066528th Jun 2023 4:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >