Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

D4 XS wiring for rear camera
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 22 <123 ... 789 ... 202122>
ajsms999

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Well done Grant & Dave Thumbs Up

A proper job - really worthwhile - In use I find that the camera gets very dirty very quickly, but I try to wash it off each time I fill up.

I am just trying to source all the parts for the surround camera retrofit, if anybody has any they dont want - let me know. - I will try to remember to take some pics & post a full description in due course.

Once again - well done.

Andrew

Post #10688979th Mar 2013 7:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stenh02

Scotland 

Thanks Andrew - it was all your fault anyway!

Thank you for your pictures and invaluable info regarding this mod.

Thumbs Up top man!

G

Post #10689039th Mar 2013 7:50 pm
Triumph_Dave

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

The rear camera hardware has arrived from the TLO, now just waiting on the forward Fakra cable connector and some better weather.. Presently snowing in West Somerset..

Dave

Post #106990611th Mar 2013 7:49 pm
Rob55

Northern Ireland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Just been out dismantling the dashboard on my 2010MY, and the back of the nav unit looks very different to the pics already posted. I assume the socket on the left is my 6 pin connector. How do I make sure the pigtails from maplin stay on securely?!

Secondly, I'm having trouble finding the fakra at the gear stick, I have the gear stick unit lifted off and the grey carpet pulled up but can't find the cable

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #107034112th Mar 2013 2:23 pm
Rob55

Ok guys worse again I cannot find either end of the fakra cable in the car Sad I have the front and the rear stripped and there doesn't appear to be a cable, has anyone seen this before? Sad

View from below the tailgate into the rear pillar trim where it meets the headlining:

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #107038512th Mar 2013 3:45 pm
Rob55

Ok guys the wiring is definitely not pre fitted to my 2010 XS Sad

As you can see in the pic below I have the new loom coming through the tailgate but there is no fakra and no green/black connector on the car:

Click image to enlarge

I am happy I can just run my own fakra up the middle of the car to the nav unit. What about the black/green, I assume this is live and earth. Do these transmit any signal or can I just take a positive feed off somewhere up the back of the car such as the rear 12v power outlet in the boot?

Rob

Post #107044912th Mar 2013 5:19 pm
dangerdave

Admin note: post content removed at user request

Post #107058812th Mar 2013 7:40 pm
stenh02

Scotland 

Rob,

Sorry, that's a bummer!

I think some people use the reverse light feed but maybe Wiggs or Flack may have some better information.

In some other post they talk about that 6 pin connector. http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic49633.html

Hope you get it sorted.

G

Post #107060412th Mar 2013 7:54 pm
Rob55

All I really need to know is whether the green/black is a constant live, or does it need to be switched on when reverse is engaged?

Post #107062512th Mar 2013 8:12 pm
stenh02

Scotland 

Rob, sorry I don't know that. I would imagine it would be switched but can't really see any damage in having it constant either. Embarassed

Post #107064412th Mar 2013 8:29 pm
Rob55

I assume the car itself somehow knows to switch the nav unit over to the reverse view when reverse gear is selected? If so then there would be no problem in having a constant positive feed to the camera and having it switched on all the time, so I think that's what I will do.

I took a trip to Maplin tonight and bought the individual connectors that Wiggs had proposed Thumbs Up Which look like so:

Click image to enlarge

I am now going to buy a 5m male fakra cable off eBay and cut one end off, and solder on two of the above connectors. This should go straight into the back of the nav unit and fingers crossed that'll be me sorted. Just the small matter of running a 5m cable up the car Big Cry

Post #107076612th Mar 2013 10:42 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

yes you can power it all the time ...the screen selects the camera view when the car is in reverse

if you power it all the time you can go in the diagnostics and watch it whenever you want
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #107077412th Mar 2013 10:53 pm
Rob55

Happy days, thanks for clearing that up. Last question I promise - when it comes to soldering the Maplin connectors onto the RG174 cable, I assume the internal core is the video lead and the outer shield is the ground?

The video lead would then go on Pin 2 and ground to Pin 5, shown as red and black respectively in the pic below:

Post #107078212th Mar 2013 11:03 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Yes internal core is video

2 & 5 ... Can't remember which way round .. But the push on maplins connectors can be swapped if you get them round the wrong way Thumbs Up
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #107079212th Mar 2013 11:18 pm
Triumph_Dave

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Radio surround trim metal clips and fitting Fakra cable

If anyone is intersted the part number for the push on metal clips that hold the side radio/air vents surround trim is land rover part FYC 500040. Luckily I took Stenh02 advice and pre-ordered 4 of these clips before I fitted the forward Fakra cable... As I removed both side trims I could hear the tinkle of the clips as they fell off!, two per side departed.. ( I believe there are 4-5 per side ) I did manage to find one, but the others are semi-lost, i.e. I know roughly where they are, but havent placed my hands on them yet .. Laughing
Time to fit the forward Fakra was about 1 hour, but now I know how it all fits together I would think you could do it in 15-20 mins.
Interestingly the touch screen was only held in place by 3 out of 4 torx screws, one was completely missing, plus the plastic trim that surrounds the screen was cracked on the lower two screw holes. A little superglue fixed the screen trim fine and I added the missing screw... I guess someone was in a hurry during my D4 assembly...

All went as per the guidance on this forum, its a little tricky getting the top of the touch screen out, but the Fakra cable pushed in and clicked in place ok at both ends. A 1 meter cable length is about right and allows a little extra to route etc.. I did take the time to wrap a little felt around the new cable so it would cushion any possible movement noise from the new cable.

Just waiting on weather to improve to fit the rear loom and also the codes to arrive to activate the Faultmate...and then hopefully activate the rear camera.

Dave

Post #107198015th Mar 2013 2:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 8 of 22 <123 ... 789 ... 202122>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >