Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

tyre sizes disco 4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
road runner

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
tyre sizes disco 4

I am interested in purchasing a disco 4 for towing and offroad driving, but they now only produce a 19 inch tyre with a very low profile. this tyre is no good for Australian( and probably African) gravel roads, or off road driving. due to high risk of side wall damage Also most tyre outlets in the country won't have this size tyre. So effectively landrover has produced a great offroad vehicle then put tyres on it, which seriously restrict its offroad capability.

So if you want to go offroad, in what is still a very good off road vehicle you will need to spend big dollars to change the tyre configuration, which on my calculations adds a purchase price premium of around $3,000. A number of motoring journalists have now also written articles on this stupidity.

has anyone else got any comments on this, or maximum tyre sizes that the disco can carry with 19 inch tyres

IDG

Post #81593611th Jul 2011 4:38 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kenny

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

It's been done to death many times over, The search engine is your freind

Post #81594011th Jul 2011 6:29 am
jonesy63

Location: Didn't we have a lovely time, the day we went to ...

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

If you get the D4 with 2.7L motor, you can still put 17" wheels on it. Idea

Post #81603911th Jul 2011 1:06 pm
jonesy63

If you must have the 3L twin turbo motor, you can get 18" wheels for them from GOE.

Post #81604011th Jul 2011 1:08 pm
jonesy63

BTW, as you're in Perth, you don't have to worry about the legalities of over-sized tyres. I have 265/60R18 AT tyres on a set of wheels, and 245/70R17 MT on steel wheels for the tough stuff. You could even go to 265/70R17 if you want to - but only with the 2.7L D4.

Post #81604111th Jul 2011 1:11 pm
D4JWW

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Jonesy63 any comment on using 265/70/18 Cooper discoverer ATR's, espesially side wall damage? a real shame they don't do a 265/60/18 or 265/65/18?
 A few mods... and keeping it all running...Faultmate MSV2
MY09EGR's blanked Thanks Bellautos, BAS 

Post #81604411th Jul 2011 1:24 pm
Disco4SE

2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

You could do what I did and pick up a set of second hand rims with muddies.
I bought a set of 5 19" wheels with MTR's (around 30% worn) for $1,000.00. Far cheaper than the $3,000.00 option.
Another thing with the 19" rims, you will damage them off road, hence the second set being a good option.
Cheers, Craig

Post #81620811th Jul 2011 9:25 pm
raadar

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

roadrunner,

the D4 tyre issue is solvable, and more sucessfully than the 2.7ltr/17" specification that the magazines profer. If you are intent on towing, then the 3ltr with the accompanied large brakes would be the preferred option. However, therein lies the problem with the wheel restrictions. The 19" std wheels are the smallest factory spec wheel that fits over these brakes.

there are options available utilising aftermarket products, the best of these being available from Green Oval Experience in Perth. They have access to an 18" Compomotive wheel that has been cast to fit the big brakes on the 3ltr D4 and RRS. This gives access to 18" tyre options which are more prevalent in the marketplace. For example, I run 285.60.18 LTR Coopers which are much superior to the standard D4 tyres, although you will need to carefully adjust the inner guards to minimise the tyre rub at extreme lock.

another option would be to order the D4 with say, Pirelli ATR's in 255.55.19 from new (if the dealer can be convinced) (they at least give decent access to mild/medium offroad situations without reducing the D4 on-road qualities) and supplement these with a set of 19" rims fitted with Goodyear MTR's in 255.55.19 as a dedicated offroad set. I have a set of 6 available with 15% use only @ $250 each incl genuine LR rims if interested.

best option is to talk to Gordon at GOE in Perth as he has all the option available at his fingertips and I found him to be very helpful.

hope this helps..........................frank
 my10D4se3Ltdv6 current
my08RRStdv8 sold
my07RRStdv8 sold 

Post #81625512th Jul 2011 1:02 am
D4JWW

"there are options available utilising aftermarket products, the best of these being available from Green Oval Experience in Perth. They have access to an 18" Compomotive wheel that has been cast to fit the big brakes on the 3ltr D4 and RRS. This gives access to 18" tyre options which are more prevalent in the marketplace. For example, I run 285.60.18 LTR Coopers which are much superior to the standard D4 tyres, although you will need to carefully adjust the inner guards to minimise the tyre rub at extreme lock."

Frank any photos or more comments on use of 285.60 LTR are they similar to Cooper Discoverer ATR? Or do you mean zeon LTZ? http://www.coopertires.com.au/index.php?page=tyres&tyre_id=9 very informative you have allot more option compared with UK Evil or Very Mad

Post #81631312th Jul 2011 10:39 am
Martin Krutli

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Tyre Sizes Disco 4

Whilst I can't comment about the tyre sizes, I had a very interesting experience with the Cooper Zeon Ats last weekend. We were at Parachilna in the Flinders Ranges and it rained all Sat night. The Para - Blinman road had been graded only a few weeks beforehand and with the rain on it it soon turned to mush. The interesting part was that we were folllowing a friend in a RR Sport TDV8 with 20in AT Zeons on and to say they were hopeless is an understatment. At every rise, every slippery bit he was just about going sideways whilst we were having not a problem.
Eventually, and after just about having to stop to avoid running into the back of him on several occasions I just pulled out and drove straight paast him - no slip, whilst he was struggling up a rise at about a 20 degree angle to straight ahead. The guy driving is a pretty reasonable driver too, so it wasn't that. I just could not believe the difference. Oh, and my BFG's have now done nearly 60,000kms from new and probably have about 40% tread left. A fair bit of that has been done towing on stony tracks too.

Cheers,
Martin
 MY08 TDV6 SE. White/Alpaca. BFG265/65/18 At's
Autologic, Trackside Dual Battery syst., Remote GME UHF, 4X4 Intelligence rear wheel carrier, Boab removable rear drawer system w National Luna fridge, Mitchell Bros hitch.
Rasta Plate. 110L LRA long-range fuel tank. 

Post #81635912th Jul 2011 1:07 pm
D4JWW

Martin, graded gravel road brings back good memories, any comment on using the BGF's on tarmac or especially wet tarmac and obviously there is more road noise, problems with rubbing on your travels good pics in your gallery? Which rear wheel carrier are you using?

Post #81637012th Jul 2011 1:33 pm
raadar

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

D4JWW

"LTZ" not "LTR" is correct

best advantage of this tyre is the sidewall increase from 140mm to 170mm. The extra 30mm gives more oportunity for pressure modulation with less risk of destroying rims and carcases.....and with better traction as a bonus.

photos are in the general and my galleries.
 my10D4se3Ltdv6 current
my08RRStdv8 sold
my07RRStdv8 sold 

Post #81660513th Jul 2011 2:05 am
jonesy63

D4JWW wrote:
Jonesy63 any comment on using 265/70/18 Cooper discoverer ATR's, espesially side wall damage? a real shame they don't do a 265/60/18 or 265/65/18?

Sorry - no comment. (There! I sounded like a politician!) Laughing

I run 265/60R18 AT tyres on alloys for road/moderate off-road (159mm sidewall), and for rough stuff - 245/70R17 BFG KM2 MT (171.5mm sidewall).

I need to sell the alloys + AT tyres, as I need some space in my garage. In future, I'll use HT tyres for the highway and change to MTs for offroad.

Post #81766816th Jul 2011 3:37 am
Martin Krutli

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

D4JWW, As you mention there is more road noise, as to be expected. As I had the Tyres fitted by the dealer from new I don't really have a point of comparison, however I've had no problems with traction on bitumen at all (but then I do drive the vehicle like a 4WD, not a sports car.).

There is a very slight amount of rubbing from the front wheels on full lock on the inside of the wheel well, but nothing that would stop me in recomending the tyres and I'd certianly put another set on when these wear out.

The wheel carrier is from 4X4 Intelligence, a Melbourne based comapany. When I bought it there were not a lot of carriers using the original bumper around, but I think there are a few options now. I had it fitted by TJM, but I believe it's not a really difficulty job to do yourself.

Cheers,
Martin
 MY08 TDV6 SE. White/Alpaca. BFG265/65/18 At's
Autologic, Trackside Dual Battery syst., Remote GME UHF, 4X4 Intelligence rear wheel carrier, Boab removable rear drawer system w National Luna fridge, Mitchell Bros hitch.
Rasta Plate. 110L LRA long-range fuel tank. 

Post #81795517th Jul 2011 8:37 am
srover02

18" Tyres

Hi Martin,
I am really interested in your experience with the 265/65/18 BFG's. I am about to get a set to replace my 60 profile General Grabbers, (which have been ok, but I really want more rubber between the rim and road for peace of mind). Currently getting a quote to import from Tire Rack US, as the best price I have seen here is $550 ea. ($240 ea in US !!) Wondering what tyre pressure you use on rocky roads and how the side walls handle this. With my GG's I drop to 30 psi (cold), makes a huge difference to the ride, and have had no problems on my recent trip accross the gulf country.
Peter
 03 TD6 Range Rover  
Post #82017124th Jul 2011 3:52 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >