Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

How long to Scorpion Zeros last a D4 (or D3)?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
MrH

United Kingdom 
How long to Scorpion Zeros last a D4 (or D3)?

I've never had standard Pirelli Scorpion Zeros before I got this D4 so need some advice please:

I intend to take my P Zeros to Tunisia in October rather than my good (expensive) ATRs, and I've just started a new contract which will see me doing a couple of thousand miles between now and then. So I am trying to work of if they'll last or whether I should go to the expense of getting my ATRs put on now and then swap them over again before the trip.

I've done 9k on them so far and have an average of 6mm tread left. Based on that and the assumption they have 9mm tread to start with, I'd guess I could maybe get 18k out of the set, but am not sure. So I would appreciate if you could give me some indication of the kind of mileage you got from your P Zeros before they wore out.

TIA, MrH Thumbs Up

Post #68405819th Aug 2010 12:01 pm
AN

Hungary 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

If I remember correctly my Sorpion had 8mm tread from new.

I am on second set of Scorpions, chaged them with around 4mm tread left on the tyre as am using them all season, thus need to have deep tread during the winter. I got out of them 22k per set.
 LR D3 S Black, Auto TDV6  
Post #68406319th Aug 2010 12:18 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Sorry my answe is D3-related, but I guess it's comparable Thumbs Up

My factory-fit Scorpions lasted 28,000km - so almost 20k miles....pretty shoddy really and I hated them.

Just out of curiousity, but why wouldn't you want to use the ATRs in Tunisia? They would be far better suited than the Scorpions Question I'm thinking that you don't want to put the mileage of the trip on them....is that right?
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #68406919th Aug 2010 1:14 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

Again, another D3 data point, but mine managed about 15K, with uneven wear (inner) from alignment issues.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #68407019th Aug 2010 1:22 pm
K2mut

United Kingdom 

Got 26k from mine Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad .
Now have Vredestein Wintrack 4s,have been quoted upto 40k for these. Very Happy Very Happy

Thumbs Up

k2mut

Post #68407319th Aug 2010 1:26 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Yep, sorps start at 8mm. Have a set of 18"ers that have done 5k miles and now down to 6mm so at that rate a set would do 15k miles. That was lots of local road stuff, not long Mway runs.

Post #68407519th Aug 2010 1:30 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

Thanks everyone for your feedback sofar, it's looking positive for me Very Happy

PaulP wrote:
Just out of curiousity, but why wouldn't you want to use the ATRs in Tunisia? They would be far better suited than the Scorpions

I know the ATR is a far superior tyre and it is my tyre of choice for the D4, but I don't need the "offroad" tread in Tunisia, infact worn offroad or road treads are better in the sand than aggressive patterns as they are less likely to dig in.

It's purely an economics thing (yes I'm a tightwad Duck ) - I don't like the P Zeros but I'm not going to waste them and if I keep them, they won't be any good to get me through the winter, whereas the ATRs I have will. So by running the P Zeros from now until I return from Tunisia (if I can), I can get the most out of them, then throw them away and change over to my virtually unworn ATRs before the winter weather gives me any issues.

Also, if in Tunisia I rag one of the P Zeros which didn't cost me anything I couldn't care less, but if knacker a good ATR with plenty of life left in it, I'll be mighty pished off. I speak from experience, as happened last year when I took AT2s and scrapped the 2 brand new spares I took, one after only 12 miles, the other when we got home after finding the interior had been damaged too much by driving too far before realising we had a flat Evil or Very Mad

Post #68410219th Aug 2010 3:36 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Sounds like a good plan, but I would want a little bit more grip than the P Zeros for even light sandy stuff....

As you say, the ATR would be perfect for this as it'll be great for the 1000s of motorway miles you'll do, but is also a fairly mild tread pattern and won't scoop away so much sand from under you like a AT (meaning AT2 o BFG A/T) or MT tyre would.

As you know, you'd be fed up if you ripped a ATR, but I reckon that's fairly unlikely - the AT2s are a great tyre, but prone to punctures, especially if you run lower pressures.

Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #68410319th Aug 2010 3:47 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Used Contis on last 2 trips, on sand "grip" isn't an issue but floating and not digging in is. Also once aired down the side wall flexed beautifully. Had one puncture per trip but replacements not an issue! The 17" Contis I've got on now are new because the ones on there had done 2 Tunisian trips, loads of other stuff and were screwed by an alignment issue post new bushes. I'd rather not trash one but considering each tyre cost between £10 and £30 it's not an issue. There is method in the madness! Thumbs Up

Post #68410819th Aug 2010 4:22 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

the scorpians have very soft tyre walls. mine lasted 2000miles !!. I wnet offroad twice around wilshire and got masses of cuts in the tyre walls - so bad they were (didnt want to risk mway driving) that I replaced them with STs andl left the PZeros at the bottom of the garden !

so would say something other than the PZero might be better unless you are sure there wont be any sharp rocks hidden in the sand Wink
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #68413919th Aug 2010 5:54 pm
disco_steve

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

In general, it is down to how you drive - simples

Hard braking, cornering, acceleration etc (do I need to say) . . . . . !

I have now clocked an impressive 30k on my P Zero's and they look like they are still good for another 10k (at least) but . . . .

I do a lot of M Way driving, which is in a straight line, I'm steady on the right pedal, and always ease off on sharp bends etc . . . with the price of fuel, road tax, insurance etc, one thing I can economise on (a little) is tyre wear (yep, I'm also a tight wad) Whistle

As far as off roading, I do, and found the P Zero's very capable (generally) you can minimise sidewall
damage by . . . . taking it easy, remember there is a LR moto 'tread lightly' . . .It's purly down to personal choice, and I'm quite happy with my P Zero's Wink
 Never get mad - get even !!

06 D3 now gone to family member and still going strong at 265k

previous vehicles:
04 D2 TD5 - (clocked 189k from new)
52 X-Trail 2.2 SVE
various euro boxes ! 

Post #68417819th Aug 2010 7:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BodgeP01

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have PZeros with 6mm tread on the car when I got it with 68k on the clock 5k later and they are all scrubbed.

Not much motorway driving and I guess 4 wheel drive is not to help you go round roundabouts faster!

Will deffo be looking after my next so though! Big Cry

Unsure if to go for ATR or another set of Pzeros next. Kwikfit seem one of the cheapest at £170ea fitted for PZs??

Do AT's come with more tread and are harder wearing than Pzeros?

I have seen posts where people seem to swear by ATR tyres but I dont want to compromise on road handling / noise / fuel economy.

Post #68421319th Aug 2010 8:46 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

If roads holding is your priority and you use that then you need Scorp P Zeros and just have to accept the tyre wear. It's the cost of throwing almost 3 tonnes around. There is no problem doing so but you pay for it with rapid wear.

Post #68421619th Aug 2010 8:50 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

Cheers guys. From the comments and also learning a little more about my whereabouts on the new contract I've made up my mind and will be keeping the P zeros on until I return from Tunisia.

Thanks again for all the info. Hope it's also usefull to some others looking around on here.

Post #68443920th Aug 2010 3:19 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Surely the ATRs would be a better tyre for Tunisia? Confused
Zeros are a great road tyre but I'd want something a little tougher for that much off-road, even if it is predominately 'soft' sand
 The End  
Post #68446420th Aug 2010 4:47 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >