DISCO3.CO.UK > Africa

First time trip to Botswana Swamps: Need excessorry advise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
chm

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
First time trip to Botswana Swamps: Need excessorry advise

Hi please help!

Tyres: Are AT tyres advised for Bots? What are best options at 19" size? Is fitting a smaller steel rim with AT tyres a better option?

Fuel Tank: I am trying to avoid this expensive modification due to requirement to move spare wheel. Do I need extra fue tank if driving around Bots swamps?

Rooftop Tent: I am planning to fit Frontrunner power bars to allow my rooftop tent to to be fitted. Any comments?

Any other advise would be welcomed...

Many thanks,

carl
 regards, Carl-Hein  
Post #6679884th Jul 2010 9:40 am
gevin

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Only trust this to the Professionals (Its your Life)

There is only One man to speak to
That is Paul at footloose 4x4 he does all of this for a living
He help me set up my car for Africa
he also sell stock on behaif of customers
Good Luck I wish I could go again
Gevin

Post #6682134th Jul 2010 11:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Discoeast

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Welcome Charl, Yes, the STD road tires will not be suitable.
The only off road tires I can find on the web, are Gooyear MTR
and Pirelli ATR in 19". The question is , are they available in SA yet ? To date
I have not heard of an 18" ( or smaller ) rim that can clear the brake caliper on
the D4, so you are stuck for choice. For this reason I still have a D3.

Extra fuel in the bush is nice to have, but you will be restricted to what distance
to your next refill. So route planning is very important, you could get away with
a few gerry cans on the roof with the tent. Just check in your manual what the
permissible load is you can carry on top, if I remember correctly, the D3 is
between 50 & 60kg total, but I have had a lot more on.

I would suggest that you go for a roof rack to mount the tent as apposed to
the bars, it is a lot stronger and more versatile, but that is just my view.

Sugestions:
1) Take a loose spare tire, you are not likely to purchase one in Bots if you
damage one.
2) Make sure you can get to the spare wheel winder with the minimum fuss
when you are packed to go.
3) Have fun Thumbs Up
 D3 bullbar-spots-roof rack with spots-ladder-long range tank-swing out spare wheel carrier- upgraded tow bar-dash console-internal water tank-duel awnings-drawer system & T T.  
Post #6683145th Jul 2010 10:17 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Frans@yamorna

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3

Hi Carl,
Just returned from a trip to N/Cape-Nam and agree with Discoeast.I took a spare tyre with,and was very glad after a cut on the sidewall.The second puncture could be repaired,but I had the extra tyre fitted to the rim and was much happier.Not nice in the bundu without a spare.Take a good tyre repair kit and make sure somebody in your group can use it.
In heavy offroad a managed 6+ km/l,so if you work on that consumption you should be safe.
Enjoy your trip in a great car!!!!!
Frans

Post #6690366th Jul 2010 10:02 pm
hls

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

Just returned from a 19 day (4000km) trip to Botswana, Zambia and Caprivi strip.

D3 was fitted with 17" rims and BFG ATs. I also invested in a FR aux tank, FR rear wheel carrier and FR roofrack with FR featherlight RT tent and FR drawer system.

We were 2 vehicles and did not have any tyre problems on the trip. I carried only one spare wheel. I agree with Discoeast re the standard tyres. Invest in ATs. Kingley Holgate has 19" Goodyear Wrangler MT/R fitted to his D4.

Played around in the Okavango delta and obtained around 5.6km/l. Drove through some deep sand at Nxai pans and also at Nambwa with similar fuel consumption. I have to admit that the aux tank was not really required on the trip as diesel was readily available but you need to plan as Discoeast advised. I was accompanied by a Colt carrying 2 jerry cans (40l diesel). The diesel was only used last night in Francistown (and just to empty them before the trip back home.)

I opted for the FR featherlight RT tent because of its weight (only 36kg) and closed height (200mm). The roof weight carrying capacity of the D3 (and I presume the D4 as well) is 75kg. I would recommend that you fit a roofrack for the RT tent. It just makes life a lot easier when you have to "pitch" and close the RT tent.

Spotted 15 D3s and 2 D4s during the trip.

Last edited by hls on 20th Dec 2010 5:12 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #6694427th Jul 2010 7:14 pm
Brucehun

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
Bots Trip

Hi Hls

Do you remember seeing a black defender 110 DC with an NX reg? I was also in the same area as you, from 22 June until 11 July, Bots,Caprivi,Zam,Bots. I am sure I saw you guys driving around....in fact saw a lot of D3's. Was really impressed with the number driving around. We were part of the Leisure wheels trip.Awesome stuff.

Post #67085312th Jul 2010 8:51 am
hls

Re: Bots Trip

Brucehun wrote:
Hi Hls

Do you remember seeing a black defender 110 DC with an NX reg?

Brucehun, chances are good that we passed one another. I made a point of greeting other D3 owners in the Defender way (waving or flashing head lights) when passing. I am allways on the lookout for other Landies while travelling and make a point of chatting to Landie owners at camp sites. Must admit that I cannot recall spotting a black defender? How about posting pics to refresh my memory.

This is what we (group of 2 cars) looked like while travelling.

Post #67101412th Jul 2010 5:01 pm
hls

chm, something to wet your appetite Very Happy

Post #67102912th Jul 2010 5:34 pm
chm

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
Safety First

Thanks for all the advice guys. Sorry only getting back now.

I ended up buying power bars only due to limited funds.

Goodyear MT/R's which if nothing else makes the D4 look awesome.
I also bought some second hand 19" alloys which came of an older Range Rover. These actually did not fit with the caliper touching the inside of the rim, if only slightly. So if anyone is keen for these let me know.

Our trip was marred by a freak accident at the Noth camp in Moremi where one of our group was killed by an exploding Donkey boiler. The other was critically injured and flown back to Johannesburg.

The next day we all went back to Maun to deal with the consequences. We then decided to continue the trip.
We ended up having to drive from Maun to Chobe in one day. I neglected to check my tire preassures that morning because I felt sick and was too lazy to dig the compressor out from under all my stuff.

In the `Savuti my firiends' tow hook broke which then saw me pulling a huge off road trailor on the sandy cut line to Chobe. The road was very rough and coupled with my inexperience it took me some time to realise that my left rear tre was .. well destroyed.

No extra spare. We managed to have one couriered from Walvisbay to Rhundu in namib. Luckily we were going back that way anyway.

I write all this to now share my opinions on what kit is essential:-) This is in order of priority.

A satelite phone. We often forget how truly remote we are when doing these things and whilst our accident was a freak many other similarly dangerous and more likely things can happen. Rent one an share the costs. Luckliy we had fellow Johburgers from next site with sat phones who help us out. We called them our angels.

A medical kit. Not the cute and small little one you buy from Outdoor Warehouse. A proper one with decent emergency supplies. Knowledge on how to use it. Whilst `I have a comprehensive kit again our angles had to save us with regard to emergy care for a sever head fracture. I mean severe.

An engine mounted compressor. It is easy to access and will not mae you ratioanlise your tire ressures when to lazy, for whatever reason.

Tire Preassure Monitoring System: I think I might have saved the tire if I had an alarm go off inside the car. Who knows. Also it will remind you of the fact that 1.2 bar at at temp is not the same thing the next morning.

Sorry about being so glum but I do think our experience has to be used for some good ito of a reality check.

The first two items is more important than any gadgets etc. believe me I have spent a lot on all this and it has made me feel somewhat ashaded that I had not taken the first two more serious. It is understandable because these gadgets are not fun. The Sat phone is too expensive to just phone friends on and brag about how nice your holidy is and medi-kits are well... medikits.

Best regards,

Carl-Hein
 regards, Carl-Hein  
Post #71002430th Oct 2010 10:20 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

A good reminder for what can go wrong and what is needed if it does.
A good first aid kit and sat phone is good advice.
You can hire decent medi kits as well as well as sat phones.
If you din't have a sat phone at least get an emergency beacon.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #71023531st Oct 2010 12:47 am
Nico G4-2

South Africa 2011 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Tx feedback...

Sorry to hear about your trip ...

I read about the incident in the newspaper ... not a nice thing and sincere sympathy to those involved and left behind.

I bought a SATphone (2nd hand) before our trip in June/July for exactly this reason - 1 use when really needed makes up for the price. I was thinking to make it available to friends/forum members ( "in good standing" Very Happy ) for a minimal fee and purchase of your own airtime. Airtime can be bought on pre-paid and thus my risk is really only a stolen handset which a refundable deposit can cover ... The costing structure from the rental people is really misleading etc...

Yip these are good leasons to learn and again ti hear that when overlanding fellow travelers are the best insurance policy out there and thsu remember our HELP will be needed oneday so if duty calls don't hesitate.

Tx
Nico
 Nico

'91 BYB - Big Yellow Bus: Ex-CT Tdi Disco
'05 BOV - Big Orange Van: TDV6 D3 G4 - Hit a COW the animal kind
'11 BBB - Big Black Bus: D4 HSE 5.0 V8 - busy with MODS
'16 KIA SEDONA - 11 SEATS
SWAMBO ... Small black number - RCZ 

Post #7105861st Nov 2010 8:50 am
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

I have a sat phone which is also available if I like you Whistle

Post #7105891st Nov 2010 9:14 am
O.B.

South Africa 

One question on the engine mounted compressor. Is this then a good electric one under the bonnet, or a compressor physically driven by the engine?
Does the Discovery have a place to do a crank driven unit?

reason I ask is I am busy installing a crank driven one on my Defender Tdi. Even with no aircon compressor space is limited. I have never seen an engine bay of the Disco, but I assume there are too much other stuff for something like this?

Post #73451720th Dec 2010 1:34 pm
hls

See the topic below that should cover your query.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic37730.html

Post #73462020th Dec 2010 5:20 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

You could put put in a crank driven compressor attach it to the bracket on top of the engine. Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #73486521st Dec 2010 12:27 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >