DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

EGR full blanking and loss in powers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
mohnwalk

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
EGR full blanking and loss in powers

Hi!

I have recently installed a full blanking kit to my 05 D3 TDV6. This after having my car to the local deaelr (LR) that said the EGR valves did not respond at all. No matter what. Stands in the open position. I noticed loss of power before I sent the car to the mechanic, aspecially in the lower register 0-1800/2000 rpm. But also in the top register. Felt the car struggeled above 100km/h.

So i installed a full EGR blanking kit. But ofc not without problems..!

In the picture below u can see a red circle. I dont know why, but this lower screw did not come out easily. And when it did, some of the plastic from the inside was still on the screw. This means that I didnt get to tighten it proper. The screw is kinda loose, and I can wiggle it with my fingers. But the blanking plate sits tight and good, not showing any kind of cracks for the air to leak.

I guess I have to order a new EGR butterfly housing, do any of u know the partnumber for this?

Second, I also managed to destroy a clip holding these pipes (se picture below). Not a big issue ofcourse, but I would like to order a new clip. I have checked the online part catalogue, but I cant seem to find it. Do any of u know the partnumber for this?

The last thing I wanted to check out with you guys is the position of the inlet from the EGR butterfly housing. In the picture below I have circled both sides. On the side with the red circle, I see that this side doesnt go as long inside as the other side (yellow circle). Is this correct? I obviously cant change this too much because of the screw holdning the EGR butterfly house in place. But I feel I need to get this confirmed.

PS! I know the valve in the middle of the picture (marked with an arrow) is out! Just cleaned this valve and it was very dirty!! How will this valve affect the engine power?

The background for this post is that after doing the full EGR blanking, I still thought the car didnt have full power in the upper register - 2200 + rpm. Still struggled after pushing 110km/h. I did clean the plug marked with the arrow in the second photo today, and took the car for a testrun. Felt better, but I dont know how much effect cleaing this plug is? What do you think?

Thanks!

Post #129839115th Jun 2014 12:17 pm
nighthawk

Malta 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Throttle housing is LR007124 but I'm pretty sure there will be much easier and cheaper ways of getting the screw to tighten. Plastic welding + drilling/tapping, or even an epoxy + drilling/tapping will probably work to secure that screw and much cheaper than the £200 or so it costs to replace the entire housing.

Just ask at a good garage what they usually do to fix stripped threads in plastic and they will probably help you.
 Dennis

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham Blue 

Post #129839615th Jun 2014 12:54 pm
yogi972

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

How did you clean the 'valve' (map sensor) as if you poked something in it's hole. And damaged the very fragile diaphragm, then it can cause problems.

Stripped screw, just fill he will a bit of epoxy as said and rescrew
Pipes look ok to me
Clip, get a cable tie

Thumbs Up

Post #129840115th Jun 2014 1:06 pm
mohnwalk

I have now driven with my EGR blanked for a while, and I must say im not quite convinced.

I recon that the EGR valves does have a function if it is blanked off or not? When I got my diagnostics on my local LR garage, they said that both my valves where stuck in open position and that they had no contact with them.

I wanted them to check them out because I have noticed lack in engine power the last weeks. Specially in lower RPMs but also in higher RPMs (above 100/110 km/h).

So when they concluded that both my EGR valves where stuck in open position, I decided to blank them off, instead of replacing them.

When blanked off, I noticed a instant improvement in power on the lower RPMs. So far so good.
But when I have been driving on the highway in speed above 100 km/h, I feel that the car struggle to increase speed. Not that many weeks ago, I had a whole other power and could push 140 km/h easily..

I also think that the car is struggeling abit more to change into gears when put in abit more pressure (up hills). I felt that this was way more smooth before. And still I feel that the car is struggeling when pushing over 110 km/h. And the most noticeable is when the car in highway is in 6th gear, it cant no longer hold this gear when pushing the throttle. It jumps right down to higher gear. Earlier I could just push and the car just kept moving on.

So my question is: Will the EGR valves stuck in open position in any other way affect the powers in the car, when EGR is blanked off? I guess that the car still get the values from EGR valves at open position, and has to deal with this information in any other way?
Note that I have no faults/messages reported to the car.

So will I need to change my EGR valves even though it is blanked off?

Post #130151722nd Jun 2014 11:25 am
mohnwalk

Any thoughts? Anyone with knowledge on this:)?

Post #130295325th Jun 2014 6:27 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

If the EGRs are blanked they will not be affecting anything, so your problem is elsewhere.

Perhaps you damaged the MAP sensor, intake manifold or something else.

Getting your fault codes read would be a good start as your symptoms could be triggered by a number of things.
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #130296025th Jun 2014 6:44 pm
mohnwalk

Robbie - are you sure about this:

If the EGRs are blanked they will not be affecting anything, so your problem is elsewhere.

My EGR valves are stuck in open position, this will not send any unregular data to the car? The reason I am asking, is that there are some teories here in Norway that with faulty EGR valves they can affect the respons on the car even though the valves are blanked.

If this is true or not, I cannot say, but it would be interesting to find out Smile!

Post #130304525th Jun 2014 9:18 pm
Robbie

mohnwalk wrote:
Robbie - are you sure about this:

Yes.

Diagnostics for:

Post #130304725th Jun 2014 9:21 pm
crazy

Italy 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Have you locked open or removed the butterfly valve?
 Landy lover
Membro del Club 

Post #130328426th Jun 2014 12:51 pm
mohnwalk

Yes, butterfly valve is removed.

There are connectors to the EGR valves, so if these are stuck in open position, wouldn't they send this information to the "ECU"? And wouldn't the car then be affected by these values? Data from the EGR valves would still be real to the car even though the valves are blanked.

I'm sorry if I'm questioning this function, but if u could explain to me how exactly the faulty valves affect the car, both when in function and blanked, that would be great:-)!

Or does these valve connectors only control when opening/closing the valves? And do not send any data back to the car. Meaning just one way communication?

And then there would not be any difference blanking the EGR when valves are faulty or functional normally?

Are there anyone in here that have had faulty valves and then blanked them off (not triggered only by the health of the engine cause of the EGR)? If yes, what faults did u have before blanking?

Post #130347026th Jun 2014 9:09 pm
Robbie

Robbie wrote:

Lots of additional questions but my answer above still stands.

I'll leave it there.

Arrow

Diagnostics for:

Post #130351226th Jun 2014 9:49 pm
mohnwalk

Ok, I will try to let this go and not pursuit it anymore:-)!

Thanks.

Another question:

Will the car behave (power/torque and distribution of this) identical with or without EGR? Any changes to the characteristics?

Post #130351926th Jun 2014 9:56 pm
Wildrover

Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

The performance should improve as you are not adding recirculated dirty gas back into the engine

If you have disturbed the throttle body housing check your inlet pipe top and bottom for figment or leaks
And anything else disturbed
 2007 D3 HSE Artic Frost Silverish
Wandering Aussie-Looking for SUN

Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional. 

Post #130359026th Jun 2014 11:04 pm
dingdongs

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 4

when was the last time the fuel filter was changed?britpart was ok for mine for about£20

Post #130390727th Jun 2014 10:15 pm
mohnwalk

Funny u should mention the fuel filter. I did order one from brit-car last time I did the service, but unfortunately I got the wrong one.. Since I bought the car last year (may) there has been no fuel filter changed.. The car got full service historic, but I recon the fuel filter should be changed every year, and prefered before winter time (october / november).

I will order a new fuel filter, so I can change that while im still going to change the brake fluid.

I hear that when it comes to fuel filter - only genuine is prefered? Is this true? Heard alot of folks had problem with aftermarked ones..

Post #130395028th Jun 2014 7:25 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >