Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

SDV6 3L New Full Engine vs Short Block
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
richardch

Switzerland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 4
SDV6 3L New Full Engine vs Short Block

what is the labour diff in hours pls between fitting the new full engine and a short block?

Post #237111614th Jun 2024 4:14 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

A full engine simply means a bare block and heads but absolutely nothing else. A short engine is just the block and nothing else.

In both cases everything else has to be stripped from the original engine and swapped over. However, in your case you have an engine knock which is most likely a big end bearing. So if it hasn't been driven in that condition you should only need a crank, bearings and a few other bits. Not a block, unless the crank has snapped itself in half and either destroyed or warped the block which as I understand as yet has not happened.

So, basically it's engine out flip it over and strip the front/rear and bottom end. Remove crank polish/regrind as necessary and refit with new bearings, oil pump, and poss oil spray jets, gaskets etc.

There is one possible caveat here though and that is the con rod on the knocking big end. If the car has been driven with the knock present for a prolonged period the con rod may have to be replaced, and that would mean head/s and top end strip down as well.

You simply will not know until the bottom end has been examined, but you might be lucky! Try not to overthink it and concentrate on a competent well experienced repairer and quality replacement parts. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #237112414th Jun 2024 7:45 pm
loanrangie

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Labour to fit used heads onto a short will outweight the extra cost of the long block, you would only buy a short block if you were an experienced engine builder and know what you are doing.

Post #237114215th Jun 2024 1:11 am
richardch

thks again guys, still awaiting the prognosis, but the 24 month gurantee of JLR recon looks appealing vs LR main dealer doing refit with limited guarantee

Post #237117015th Jun 2024 4:27 pm
richardch

So, basically it's engine out flip it over and strip the front/rear and bottom end. Remove crank polish/regrind as necessary and refit with new bearings, oil pump, and poss oil spray jets, gaskets etc.

There is one possible caveat here though and that is the con rod on the knocking big end. If the car has been driven with the knock present for a prolonged period the con rod may have to be replaced, and that would mean head/s and top end strip down as well.

You simply will not know until the bottom end has been examined, but you might be lucky! Try not to overthink it and concentrate on a competent well experienced repairer and quality replacement parts. Thumbs Up[/quote]

Surely the labour involved for a big end replacement here is similar to a long or short block replacement for which at least, I will get a 24 month guarantee, as I man who claims to know about cars, my wife and dog are already displeased with me!

Post #237122516th Jun 2024 12:57 pm
richardch

and what if after just doing the big end replacement and then 2 months later the crank did break, the car has done 160,000 km

Post #237123116th Jun 2024 2:48 pm
PROFSR G

It's a lottery, but remember LR factory recon units snap their cranks too. That's why my preference would be to rebuild your own engine if the crank allows. If not, get a quality new crank and fit that along with bearings, oil pump, etc, etc.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #237123316th Jun 2024 3:35 pm
richardch

fully agreed, it is a total lottery, But I simply cannot afford revisit an engine out situation at my cost again and if the crank goes after a big end replacement, this is exactly where I will be. As the Big end replacement is likely to be 65% of the cost of a JLR recon engine as most of the cost is Labour why not get a recon engine as when or if the crank goes JLR will have to pick up this cost under the 24 month guarantee?

Post #237124216th Jun 2024 6:46 pm
PROFSR G

Here's a LR recon engine which just like yours has eaten a big end bearing. Skip to 13m 20s.

&t=1110s
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #237124416th Jun 2024 7:27 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >