Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Oil pump tensioner mount fail risk
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
bensla

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Oil pump tensioner mount fail risk

According to the history of my 2008 D3 it had the timing belt done at 95k miles but there is no mention of the oil pump (or tensioner) on the invoice. The car has now done 173k and I'm wondering if it's something I need to panic about. Do these failures always happen soon after the timing belt change? i.e I'm out of the woods at this stage, or is it something that can still happen out of the blue? Also assuming the risk is lower if the tensioner wasn't actually replaced or would they have had to remove and retighten to do the belt anyway? Cheers

Post #234243617th Jul 2023 11:06 am
disco chris

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Given the age and mileage I would have it on my relatively urgent to-do list if I were you. It doesn't cost a lot to change and even if your vehicle is one of the later D3s with an oil pump that has a reinforced housing, the efficacy of the pump will decrease over time anyway. Oil pressure is considered quite important in a D3/4, so a fresh pump will be a good bit of preventative maintenance.

I thought the housing failures were all pretty random, not necessarily coinciding with timing belt changes etc. Just fatigue over time of the weak part of the housing. But I could be wrong.

My 2005 D3 was on the original oil pump until c. 200k miles in 2019, so they don't all fail within that mileage...

Post #234243817th Jul 2023 11:54 am
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

My Indy told me that the issue with the old style oil pump is that a mounting bolt goes through a protruding part of the casting which ends up as a weak point and can snap off. This issue was resolved with a different shape casting on later models, but don't know from what date.
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #234243917th Jul 2023 12:08 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Quote:
Oil pressure is considered quite important in a D3/4, so a fresh pump will be a good bit of preventative maintenance.
Thumbs Up

NJSS

Post #234244117th Jul 2023 12:13 pm
Marshall8hp

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Here in OZ we fit the FoMoCo pump off a Ford Territory. The exact same pump as LR and half the price. You may find the same there for a Peugeot. Just a thought.

Post #234244217th Jul 2023 12:14 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/oil-pump-11661-c.asp

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #234248117th Jul 2023 4:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Re: Oil pump tensioner mount fail risk

bensla wrote:
According to the history of my 2008 D3 it had the timing belt done at 95k miles but there is no mention of the oil pump (or tensioner) on the invoice. The car has now done 173k and I'm wondering if it's something I need to panic about. Do these failures always happen soon after the timing belt change? i.e I'm out of the woods at this stage, or is it something that can still happen out of the blue? Also assuming the risk is lower if the tensioner wasn't actually replaced or would they have had to remove and retighten to do the belt anyway? Cheers

You're approaching the mileage for a belt change anyway so it's not worth waiting for the remainder to expire, especially if the present belt is approaching 7yrs. A new pump will prolong the life of critical components!

It really is a no brainer, just make sure the garage is competent and experienced with these engines and all will be well. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #234248417th Jul 2023 5:10 pm
bensla

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I decided to have a look and see what pump I have. Looks like it's at least one of the ones with the extra bits between the bolts so I think I'll move down the urgency list!

Post #234260518th Jul 2023 2:36 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >